Player Prices and Net Spend

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Player Prices and Net Spend

Postby h69 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 am

Just goes to show that when everyone is desperate to sign players in the summer and judge a teams transfer window solely by its Net spend they are slightly misguided.

Football is a team sport and sometimes the sum of the parts is greater than individual components. Center backs for instance can form partnerships that are fruitful but individually those players can look not so good.

Balbuena - 4.5m
Fabianski - 7.5m

They must be two of the best bargains this season. Both have been outstanding. You get more chance when a player costs a lot of money but often that is because he has a longer contract to pay off or he has potential such as Diop but these two have been the bargains of the season. Especially Fabianski. Diop needs Balbuena as when he plays with Ogbonna we dont look nearly as secure.
1 x

Newmarket

Re: Player Prices and Net Spend

Postby Newmarket » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:28 pm

h69 wrote:Just goes to show that when everyone is desperate to sign players in the summer and judge a teams transfer window solely by its Net spend they are slightly misguided.

Football is a team sport and sometimes the sum of the parts is greater than individual components. Center backs for instance can form partnerships that are fruitful but individually those players can look not so good.

Balbuena - 4.5m
Fabianski - 7.5m

They must be two of the best bargains this season. Both have been outstanding. You get more chance when a player costs a lot of money but often that is because he has a longer contract to pay off or he has potential such as Diop but these two have been the bargains of the season. Especially Fabianski. Diop needs Balbuena as when he plays with Ogbonna we dont look nearly as secure.

Agreed . And as far as Fabianski is concerned , huge portions of the humble stuff eaten this end .
2 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

jameskel

Postby jameskel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Never understood why supporters, involve themselves in "net spend". As you have pointed out h69, we should only be worried about the players ability, nothing more

As most, I never wanted Fabianski, but how wrong I was
2 x
Taans can fuck right off

BlackDiamond

Postby BlackDiamond » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm

jameskel wrote:Never understood why supporters, involve themselves in "net spend". As you have pointed out h69, we should only be worried about the players ability, nothing more

As most, I never wanted Fabianski, but how wrong I was

Is this an avatar of Antonio practising a chest trap ? I didn't realise the lad was so nimble...
1 x

jameskel

Postby jameskel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:41 pm

:D It is indeed Antonio, just a bit more go
1 x
Taans can fuck right off

only1salty

Postby only1salty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Money buys you quality on the balance of probability

Man City prove that.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:28 pm

only1salty wrote:Money buys you quality on the balance of probability

Man City prove that.

They do. But there is a case for saying we are the exception that proves the rule. I think I'm right in saying that over the years Kieron Dyer, Andy Carroll and Andre Ayew have all had the distinction of being our record signing at the time of their arrival. So has Javier Hernandez, but I'll excuse him because of his record elsewhere.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

h69

Postby h69 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Man City prove that.

If you have mega millions of course it does but lower down the scale it is not the be all and end all. Often our best players have not been the most expensive. Payet was only 10M, Parker was 7m, Lanzini was 'only' 9m

A good team is also built around teamwork and the ability to recognise that certain players complement each other and can benefit one team as much as they can be the detriment of others.

When Guardiola was manager of Barca while they spent a fair amount, that was eclipsed by how much money Real spent and yet Barca constantly won trophies during that period.

Price tags are often down to the contract length and the potential rather than the ability and if a team is solely looking at expensive players it is likely that the manager is not good enough to build a team and hides behind the price tag of those players. The players themselves cannot always deal with a high price tag and cheaper players often settle faster.

I would rather have Balbuena than Mangala at present. Mangala cost 32M and is a decent player but has no leadership skills looking at his performances. I dont think he would thrive with Diop next to him.

Balbuena was captain of Corinthians - He has had to adjust to our football but cant be a mug if he is captaining a side like that. He brings leadership.

Fabianski was by far and away Swansea's best player. They loved him there and he mades than anyone else last season and he more saves than anyone else last season. He was in such a shit side it was masked.

I hope that Husillos looks for more of these in the summer as I do not think we should be buying anyone in Jan unless a bargain comes up that is too good to turn down. Jan is a horrible transfer window to buy players in as someone also said.
0 x

h69

Postby h69 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Whiskyman wrote:

Man City prove that.

They do. But there is a case for saying we are the exception that proves the rule. I think I'm right in saying that over the years Kieron Dyer, Andy Carroll and Andre Ayew have all had the distinction of being our record signing at the time of their arrival. So has Javier Hernandez, but I'll excuse him because of his record elsewhere.

Spurs have had a lot of high cost duds as well.
0 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Whiskyman wrote:

Man City prove that.

And Jarvis,
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”