Balbuena and Diop

Chat about anything football related here!
deanox

Balbuena and Diop

Post by deanox » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:03 am

After a rough start and obvious league and language differences I’ll gave them an A+
Time will tell but these two could be the start of a decent defense.
So what happens to Reid and oggy?
IMO we get rid of both and look for another young central defender who can bring the ball out, maybe Rice as I think in the long run that will be his position.
2 x
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

Gonzo

Re: Balbuena and Diop

Post by Gonzo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 am

They complement each other perfectly and for a combined £24m is excellent value too.

Balbuena did a tackle that lead up to the first goal yesterday which was superbly timed and executed.
3 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 am

I don't know about Ogbonna, but Reid is on a long term, big money contract. Hard to imagine anyone taking on his £70k a week, even on a free transfer. Andy Carroll 2.0.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 am

Ogbonna is still a good player. But I doubt he'll stick around sitting on the bench unless by some way we end up reaching the europa league. Reid unfortunately has become way too injury prone.
0 x

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

Who would have thought at the start of the season the pairing of a £3.5m 26 year old CB from Paraguay who had never played outside of South America and a £22.5m 21 year old CB from France could form such a formidable pairing so quickly , considering they come from different continents with different languages and having never played in England . And be first choice keeping out a player with experience in Ogbonna , really dont think Ogbnna will want to stay to sit on the bench though and I wouldn't expect him to , and as far as Reid goes I see no way back for him , or why anyone would want a player who's 30 and on average can only manage half a season because hes likely to get injured .

Lets hope our scouts and director of football can carry on the good work they have started , and continue to find those players that are required .
2 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:48 am

Clayton wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am
Who would have thought at the start of the season the pairing of a £3.5m 26 year old CB from Paraguay who had never played outside of South America and a £22.5m 21 year old CB from France could form such a formidable pairing so quickly , considering they come from different continents with different languages and having never played in England . And be first choice keeping out a player with experience in Ogbonna , really dont think Ogbnna will want to stay to sit on the bench though and I wouldn't expect him to , and as far as Reid goes I see no way back for him , or why anyone would want a player who's 30 and on average can only manage half a season because hes likely to get injured .

Lets hope our scouts and director of football can carry on the good work they have started , and continue to find those players that are required .
Agree with all that. And let's hope that young Silva, another of Husillos' captures lives up to his potential.

And to think one or two on here were moaning after the Liverpool game about recruiting an unknown from South America. Own up. You don't come on here very often these days but you know who you are. ;)
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Agree that the form of these 2 players from differing cultures and experiences have taken to the league much quicker and better than I expected. I would also add the signing of Fabianski has aided their development no end.

It was also great to see the left side of our defense locked down during Cresswell's brief appearance at lb, his positional awareness made our back 4 look as good playing that high line as they have all season. We're going to miss him.
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:32 pm

It makes you realise that intelligent, well-planned and executed scouting can be every bit as powerful than just throwing money at every problem.
Of course, good scouting costs good money too but you can bet it's a fraction of Winston and wor Andy's annual salaries.

Naturally there'll always be risks and sometimes even players who appear perfectly suited to a team, system, culture etc can flop.
But reducing the odds of that happening again and again is what it's all about.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:48 am
Clayton wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

Agree with all that. And let's hope that young Silva, another of Husillos' captures lives up to his potential.

And to think one or two on here were moaning after the Liverpool game about recruiting an unknown from South America. Own up. You don't come on here very often these days but you know who you are. ;)
And at various times you can add Arnie, Chico, Snoddy and Anderson . Oh I forgot Rice as well !! I wouldn't know who they are but it was always obvious that they were potentially talking nonsense.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Shortshanks wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:48 am

And at various times you can add Arnie, Chico, Snoddy and Anderson . Oh I forgot Rice as well !! I wouldn't know who they are but it was always obvious that they were potentially talking nonsense.

Pretty much every player comes in for it from time to time but most people usually reserve judgment until we've seen a player at least a few times. I, for one, certainly coated Snodgrass for his performances under Bilic but he is one player who has certainly risen to the challenge under Pellegrini. Or the "old bloke" as he has been disparagingly referred to by one or two.
2 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Social Media