West Ham United v Cardiff City - Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Hammertime

Re: West Ham United v Cardiff City - Official Match Thread

Post by Hammertime » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Antonio was in his best position and I said earlier on here that if he could get the striker out of his head he'd make a great RWB. Lo and behold he scores his first goal at home this season from that position and looked comfortable defending. He definitely still has some positional weakness playing back there, but nothing his speed and physicality can't get him out of.

Really getting annoyed with the continuing Arnautovic criticism. Maybe his body language doesn't help him out and certainly his cunt brother didn't, but make no mistake he is our best option up front, working with any of our compliment of other attackers. He will almost certainly be here through the end of the season (and hopefully beyond) so it makes no sense giving him the avalanche of shite that is being piled on him. He pulled his hammy and look well fucked off about it. I admit that he hasn't looked as sharp as usual while battling his knee bruise, but he still terrorizes defenses with his pace and strength. Watching him play with Chica, he dropped deeper and looked more like a 10, but with the interchangeability of him with the little pea, Anderson, Perez, Diangana or whoever (other than Wor Andy) we put in attack with him, makes him the perfect fit for Pelles system.
1 x

hd1

Post by hd1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Hildreth_1101 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 pm
Jealous of you older Hammers being able to live through a time where we weren't shite or had some success. 28 years of life and we have won the Championship as my personal highlight.
I've been going since the early 70's and we've always been shite, except for 1975, 1980 and 1985
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Clayton wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 pm
terrya1965 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:57 pm

You are probably right mate.

I would have to go back to when Harry was in charge since we played half decent football.

The best I ever see was when Brooking and Devonshire were poetry in motion in the early 80`s.That was best by far.I think a few of the older fans may go back to the 1960's,when we smashed some teams out of sight,eg,a very good Leeds teams 7-0 in the late 60's.

I do think we are going to see us score a lot of goals this season and I will take that all day long.
The Brooking , Devonshire and Bonds era of football could list many more players were the best I have seen in my time , though I do remember the 60's they were not as memorable , though they did win the world cup ;) .
And Cup Winners Cup and an FA Cup.

Did you know that West Ham have scored more 5,6's,7's and 8's in the 1960's than any other decade.In the 1970`s we scored a few 5's and 6's,but very few since.Even though we did get a 10 and a 8 in the 1980's.
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:43 am
mkhammer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am

Geordies on another day might have easily bagged 2or3,and you couldn't say they weren't worth it.
Last night,Cardiff had nowhere near the same amount of clear cuts,we done em both 3-0,they're
in a similar place in table,so maybe can compare,but Geordies do look a better side.
Really ? I can't recall any clear cut chances which Newcastle had, and I don't recall Fabianski making a meaningful save. Agreed Cardiff only had the one, the penalty. Newcastle do look a better side than Cardiff granted but that's pretty much a given imo.

I think the shambles that resulted in their goal (which I assume you missed ;) ) makes your comment about the defence looking better against Newcastle about right though. But what the hell Carroll thought he was trying to do beats me.
3-1 I Know...... :oops: :lol:

Point i was really making was cos of the 3 changes ,we were all a bit worried, but they seemed to
do Ok.....I jokingly said Micky for RB....not meaning it as thought no way would Peller do that,
but he did...I liked the way we tried to play.....really high FBs ..WBs really,Micky was playing
like a bloody winger most of match,with a MFer, Nobes quite a bit,sometimes Rice
dropping back to make a 3 when playing out...I like that system,bit of a nod to the back 3
I keep banging on about... :lol:

Geordies def had more good chances than us,like I said could have nicked a couple...
0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 am

Hammertime wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm
Antonio was in his best position and I said earlier on here that if he could get the striker out of his head he'd make a great RWB. Lo and behold he scores his first goal at home this season from that position and looked comfortable defending. He definitely still has some positional weakness playing back there, but nothing his speed and physicality can't get him out of.

Really getting annoyed with the continuing Arnautovic criticism. Maybe his body language doesn't help him out and certainly his cunt brother didn't, but make no mistake he is our best option up front, working with any of our compliment of other attackers. He will almost certainly be here through the end of the season (and hopefully beyond) so it makes no sense giving him the avalanche of shite that is being piled on him. He pulled his hammy and look well fucked off about it. I admit that he hasn't looked as sharp as usual while battling his knee bruise, but he still terrorizes defenses with his pace and strength. Watching him play with Chica, he dropped deeper and looked more like a 10, but with the interchangeability of him with the little pea, Anderson, Perez, Diangana or whoever (other than Wor Andy) we put in attack with him, makes him the perfect fit for Pelles system.
I agree, saw the whole match today and In all fairness I'm sure both West Ham and Cardiff were knackered from their weekend matches. Been really impressed with some of the younger players so far.

At least we have a full 3 day rest starting again on Saturday which could see an advantage. Thought West Ham and Cardiff lacked pace, but hopefully with some rested players we will have a strong team again on Saturday.
0 x

Marco Boogers Boots

Post by Marco Boogers Boots » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:30 am

Hildreth_1101 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 pm
Jealous of you older Hammers being able to live through a time where we weren't shite or had some success. 28 years of life and we have won the Championship as my personal highlight.

MP wins trophies though so quietely confident we can do well in the cup.
And to make it even worse for you, we actually haven't won the Championship in your lifetime :lol:
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 am

Whiskyman wrote:
mkhammer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am

Geordies on another day might have easily bagged 2or3,and you couldn't say they weren't worth it.
Last night,Cardiff had nowhere near the same amount of clear cuts,we done em both 3-0,they're
in a similar place in table,so maybe can compare,but Geordies do look a better side.
Really ? I can't recall any clear cut chances which Newcastle had, and I don't recall Fabianski making a meaningful save. Agreed Cardiff only had the one, the penalty. Newcastle do look a better side than Cardiff granted but that's pretty much a given imo.

I think the shambles that resulted in their goal (which I assume you missed ;) ) makes your comment about the defence looking better against Newcastle about right though. But what the hell Carroll thought he was trying to do beats me.
Perez missed two sitters.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm

h69 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 am
Whiskyman wrote:

Perez missed two sitters.
I honestly don't recall any. I guess it depends what we regard as sitters. Mine is, as an example and not a dig at Antonio, the one he missed against Manchester City when he hit the side netting after being put through by Hernandez. The only time I can recall being concerned against Newcastle was when they had a free kick which Shelvey blazed over the bar from a very scoreable position.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:32 pm

At least three relatively free headers on goal from central positions which were either misdirected or straight at keeper.

I think !
0 x

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Antonio. MIGHT make an adequate RWB, Hammertime. Wont be great no matter how much coaching he gets.
0 x

Social Media