Do football players or managers still support their original home town team?

Chat about anything football related here!
Noni

Post by Noni » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 am

Often wondered when players move on and managers change team, do they still support their original team when they first started playing football or do they change teams through their career?

Specially when they go from club to club.
0 x

palerider

Re: Do football players or managers still support their original home town team?

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 am

Watching the benefits derby on Sunday. Jamie Carragher was decidedly pro-Everton, his boyhood team.

If I was ever that good and played against West Ham I'd have tried my hardest to score an own goal. I'd have been working privately in training to make it look like an accident but taking my shirt off and celebrating may have been a give-away.
3 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

mkhammer

Re: Do football players or managers still support their original home town team?

Post by mkhammer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 am

Yeah Def..but Spose if your at a club for a while,you form a bond with them as well..

Often wondered that myself,like Mr P says,if i was due play against the Irons,and there was a
threat of them/us going down or something,think I might be feigning a bit of a muscle pull..
or failing that,Give Issa a blatant shove in the box,while defending a corner..
Oh Ref C'mon no way......while having a little smile inside... :lol:

Don't see why other players don't do it as well
1 x

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am

It's the 94th minute, West Ham needing a draw are trailing 1-0 but have a corner.
I elbow my keeper, rendering him unconscious, punch two Hammers and catch the ball, and if I didn't get sent off for that I'd have to land a haymaker on the ref!
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

hd1

Post by hd1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am

Mike Dean helps Spurs out all the time
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 am
Yeah Def..but Spose if your at a club for a while,you form a bond with them as well..

Often wondered that myself,like Mr P says,if i was due play against the Irons,and there was a
threat of them/us going down or something,think I might be feigning a bit of a muscle pull..
or failing that,Give Issa a blatant shove in the box,while defending a corner..
Oh Ref C'mon no way......while having a little smile inside... :lol:

Don't see why other players don't do it as well
Maybe they do. Perhaps Arnautovic is a closet Cardiff fan. ;)

And from what I saw of the goals last night James Tomkins has a hankering to play for Chris Hughton.
1 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 pm

The thing to remember is that footballers are not fans in the normal sense unless they have gone through the academy at 'their' club.

A young player might be christened a QPR fan by his dad for example then join the Fulham youth system at the age of 10. Maybe he doesn't quite make the first team and is transferred to Brentford.

The lad scores a few goals then gets transferred to Sheffield Weds and on it goes......

Really he was only a fan of QPR for a small part of his childhood and the rest of his life has been wearing the colours of multiple clubs.

Not a fan in the real sense and certainly not a supporter who has attended loads of games as a partisan fan over the years.

As such we might think that signing a player like Jack Wilshere is good because he's a West Ham fan. He might understand the history due to relatives attending but it won't compare to his love for Arsenal where he grew up.
1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm

In my younger days I played in Luton's youth team and actually managed 5 games for their reserves. I am grateful to Luton for giving me the chance to prove I wasn't good enough to make a career in the game and I still look at their results, just as I do at my other local teams (Watford & Stevenage). No real love for the clubs , just an interest in how they're doing because they're local.
1 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

hd1

Post by hd1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm
In my younger days I played in Luton's youth team and actually managed 5 games for their reserves.
You must have been really crap :D
1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm

hd1 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:30 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm
In my younger days I played in Luton's youth team and actually managed 5 games for their reserves.
You must have been really crap :D
I'll have you know, my good man, that Luton actually won promotion to the old first division during my first season there. Unfortunately during the next one they were relegated back down. So you probably have a point. ;)
0 x

Social Media