Gambling crackdown

Chat about anything football related here!

palerider

Gambling crackdown

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 am

I've got my tin hat on as I know a lot of you like a bet.

But the recent reduction of the amount you can bet on a fixed-odds machine from £100 to £2 (sadly not until next April), and more importantly imo the self-imposed ban on in-play tv advertising by most of the big gambling firms can only be a good thing. Not from any sense of public responsibility you understand but because they saw which way the wind was blowing.

'When the fun stops, stop'. Was that enough ?

Do fuck off.

Cracking down on the gambling industry is one of the few Labour policies that I agree on.

I'm not a killjoy and I know people will gamble anyway. I don't want to see gambling banned. But I used to work at Coral's for my sins and I have a first hand experience of the misery it can cause. I've seen blokes come in with their wage packets on a Saturday and lose the lot. I saw some leave the shop in tears.

But the most worrying thing for me is the attraction now for kids.

On the Manchester Metro last season on the way to the Etihad I was listening to two boys about the same age as my son, not talking about whether Aguero or Jesus should start, but the odds on a 5-0 win.

It was only 4 that day btw as Bournemouth started time-wasting at 0-0. But never mind. Always another game on soon in Botswana or somewhere.

It's an epidemic. But people are getting filthy rich on it. The Coates woman who runs Bet365 who Ray Winstone 'works' for, took home 265 million last year. Nice work if you can get it. While at the same time yet another family has to bail out some feckless teenager. Or not, if they don't have the money.

It's not helped for me personally by the banality of the adverts. I could cheerfully skin that cunt who does the Paddy Power ads alive, but I digress.

Tobacco advertising was banned completely. But people still smoke. The time has come for all gambling advertising to go the same way and as I say, people will still have a flutter.

That includes shirt sponsors and we're sponsored by Betway.

I'd quite like Marmite for next season.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Whiskyman

Re: Gambling crackdown

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:30 am

I'm in the opposite camp mate. I get fed up by the constant obsession with the apparent need to "protect" people from themselves. I know in this country we are very reluctant to accept responsibility for our own actions, let's face it it's much easier to blame someone else, but I am sure all of us know dozens of people who enjoy a bet and participate in their hobby responsibly. We also probably know the odd idiot who bets to excess. Just as we know those who drink, smoke and eat to excess.

Blaming the betting industry, which has always been there, for the lack of self discipline exhibited by a minority of gamblers is a cop out imo. I bet very rarely, not because I disagree with it but because I've never seen the attraction of it, but I do drink too much, at least according to the official government approved statistics. If I suddenly developed liver meltdown whose fault is it ? Not the whisky or beer producers I would argue. I have quite happily enjoyed the products of those institutions for the past 40 plus years of my own free will. I am aware of the dangers of drinking excessively but my definition of excess is at odds with the official figures. And I am happy to make my own choice and suffer the consequences should any befall me.

No doubt there are those who believe that I should be protected from myself and issued with some sort of ration card allowing me to drink my regulation, government sanctioned, number of alcoholic units each week, but for me that is very dangerously close to the old soviet style system where the state dictates how people can live their lives.

In any case I happen to believe the compulsive gambler won't be influenced to spend more simply because Ray Winstone is fronting an ad. He or she might be persuade to place their bet with Bet365 instead of someone else but placing a bet they wouldn't otherwise have done ? I very much doubt it.
1 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 am

But the recent reduction of the amount you can bet on a fixed-odds machine from £100 to £2 (sadly not until next April), and more importantly imo the self-imposed ban on in-play tv advertising by most of the big gambling firms can only be a good thing. Not from any sense of public responsibility you understand but because they saw which way the wind was blowing.

Do fuck off.

Cracking down on the gambling industry is one of the few Labour policies that I agree on.

I'm not a killjoy and I know people will gamble anyway. I don't want to see gambling banned. But I used to work at Coral's for my sins and I have a first hand experience of the misery it can cause. I've seen blokes come in with their wage packets on a Saturday and lose the lot. I saw some leave the shop in tears.

On the Manchester Metro last season on the way to the Etihad I was listening to two boys about the same age as my son, not talking about whether Aguero or Jesus should start, but the odds on a 5-0 win.

It was only 4 that day btw as Bournemouth started time-wasting at 0-0. But never mind. Always another game on soon in Botswana or somewhere.

It's an epidemic. But people are getting filthy rich on it. The Coates woman who runs Bet365 who Ray Winstone 'works' for, took home 265 million last year. Nice work if you can get it. While at the same time yet another family has to bail out some feckless teenager. Or not, if they don't have the money.

It's not helped for me personally by the banality of the adverts. I could cheerfully skin that cunt who does the Paddy Power ads alive, but I digress.

Tobacco advertising was banned completely. But people still smoke. The time has come for all gambling advertising to go the same way and as I say, people will still have a flutter.

Great post mate...

Been Betting my whole life.....was hard to walk past a Bookies for a while there,so know how
it gets you.....it's prob the easiest of the "Addictions" to get suckered into,seen it seriously
fuck people up....nearly on a par with alcohol.
A lot of it was card schools,but you'd see em next day in bookies trying to win loses back.
The Bookmakers are there to make money and like any other Business,well most,don't
care how,now it's targeting the youth and the vulnerable,glossy funny ads,and the placement
of "Fruit Machines"Sorry "Poker Machines" :lol: .......in poorer areas..they work on the same
principle..same odds of winning...there's no skill to it......all about watching knowing when
to play and when to walk away......used to know some lads pretty much made a living
from the Fruits......touring pubs watching,timing it right.

I get around a fair bit,different towns all over......The Placement of their "Machines" sorry again
Betting shops....stands out.....Town centres that are dying with no footfall....and you'll
find 5/6 Bookies,24 of these machines in a town centre,everyone knows why they're there,lets
not pretend...let's tempt the not so well off with a chance of making a couple hundred.

2% of people that gamble regularly/seriously, win.....the bookies know this,soon as you start
winning more than losing.....they refuse your bets or seriously limit them,Shops or online..

I hate the High street Bookies..never use them or very little...only if it's in my favour...

Have a little thing...only bet what your more than happy to lose,give away to a homeless bloke
or whatever...and not give it a second thought...if your gonna miss that money...don't bet it..
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:51 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm
palerider wrote:

Do fuck off.

Great post mate...

Been Betting my whole life.....was hard to walk past a Bookies for a while there,so know how
it gets you.....it's prob the easiest of the "Addictions" to get suckered into,seen it seriously
fuck people up....nearly on a par with alcohol.
A lot of it was card schools,but you'd see em next day in bookies trying to win loses back.
The Bookmakers are there to make money and like any other Business,well most,don't
care how,now it's targeting the youth and the vulnerable,glossy funny ads,and the placement
of "Fruit Machines"Sorry "Poker Machines" :lol: .......in poorer areas..they work on the same
principle..same odds of winning...there's no skill to it......all about watching knowing when
to play and when to walk away......used to know some lads pretty much made a living
from the Fruits......touring pubs watching,timing it right.

I get around a fair bit,different towns all over......The Placement of their "Machines" sorry again
Betting shops....stands out.....Town centres that are dying with no footfall....and you'll
find 5/6 Bookies,24 of these machines in a town centre,everyone knows why they're there,lets
not pretend...let's tempt the not so well off with a chance of making a couple hundred.

2% of people that gamble regularly/seriously, win.....the bookies know this,soon as you start
winning more than losing.....they refuse your bets or seriously limit them,Shops or online..

I hate the High street Bookies..never use them or very little...only if it's in my favour...

Have a little thing...only bet what your more than happy to lose,give away to a homeless bloke
or whatever...and not give it a second thought...if your gonna miss that money...don't bet it..
It's just my own personal bugbear Mk. I'm not preaching, it's up to the individual as Whisky says, but not everyone's as clever as him. And children, let's not kid ourselves, that's who they are, and the gambling firms know how impressionable they are, are an easy target.
1 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Too liberal by far,Whisky.

Any movement to encourage/regulate gambling to be bit of low stake fun. is to be commended.
0 x

jhammers

Post by jhammers » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:27 pm

palerider wrote:

Do fuck off.

Good post Pale.

I'm someone who enjoys a bet and i would say the majority of my mates do as well.
I think online betting is a very dangerous game as when you're depositing £10 here and there it doesn't feel like real money.
I do think there is a big problem, especially as you say, younger people are getting right into it.
I have tried to cut right back recently as ive found myself betting on games that I'm watching and I'm losing the enjoyment of the game itself because I'm too worried about my bet winning!

Betting adverts every 2 minutes doesn't help
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:10 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Very sensible advice. And only a complete idiot would ignore it. But sadly there are a number of complete idiots in our midst. There always have been and always will be. And no amount of legislation is going to stop them doing things the rest of us don't do. Like, as you allude to, betting more than you can afford to lose (the same applies to the lottery of course but with even less chance of winning statistically) or snorting stuff up your bugle at a rate of knots.

If someone wants to be a silly cunt they will be a silly cunt. I really do think it's as simple as that.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Mikeveep wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm
Too liberal by far,Whisky.

Any movement to encourage/regulate gambling to be bit of low stake fun. is to be commended.
The more we eliminate the need for people to accept responsibility for their own actions the more those same people will behave irresponsibly. At least that's the way I see it. It's not easy admitting you're at fault. Far easier to blame someone else.
0 x

Social Media