Everton v West Ham official match thread & preview

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
BlackDiamond

Re: Everton v West Ham official match thread & preview

Postby BlackDiamond » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:22 pm

IronsForever wrote:In hindsight , almost 30 years old and ran his heart out Wednesday he should have rested up on the bench that first half. He was flat today . Top players do have a stinker sometimes! He will be fired up for Stoke after that performance :D

That's a fair assessment. For France at the Euro's he had a couple of flat performances. The difference being he was substituted and another player used.

Our manager probably doesn't feel comfortable doing that obviously. It's about the dynamic between the coach and the player. The typical crawl-arse likes to keep the influential sorts happy. Whereas those who are less sensitive to the feelings of cry-babies go there own way.
0 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:32 pm

Castiron wrote:
palerider wrote:
Castiron wrote:Can't believe what I'm reading here. First it was Bilic out, now Payet ffs. Barring City, who in the prem wouldn't want him in their team?

The Payet of last season, no-one. The Payet of this season ? Probably half the teams in the league.

Do you really believe that Pale?
I would much rather have a 70% Payet on my side than not. Can we all just take a minute. We lost to Everton, we always lose to Everton..except last year. Who got the winner? Oh hold on..

Yes mate, I honestly do.

You're talking about the Dimitri of last season. Before the Euros I wouldn't have taken 65m for him but something has happened. Maybe Griezmann and Pogba have asked him why he was playing for a team like us. Maybe he was put out when we turned down PSG's interest. But the bottom line is he's nowhere near the player he was then.

And all of the teams in the top half, bar none, operate on a high work rate game. He did that before. Not now. That's why I honestly think Mourinho, Guardiola, Pochettino, Conte, Wenger and Klopp would not pick him. Certainly not to start.

It's not a Payet out campaign, far from it. I think he should play next week. But he really needs to up his game.
1 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Newmarket

Re: Match Review

Postby Newmarket » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Avit ! .... should be on next week .

I need cheering up ;)
0 x

H4L

Postby H4L » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:55 am

Digging out Payet, shortlisted for the Ballon Dor, really? Simple fact is we do not have a striker. We have forwards but no one who is a goal threat. If we had that it would be totally different.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 am

Towie wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
palerider wrote:In a small gesture of defence, the effort on Wednesday must have taken a toll, trained athletes that they are. Everton had a free week. We looked decidedly leggy in the 2nd half. Payet for the whole match.

I take it you agree with my comment that it was a mistake sending the first choice team out in the Mickey Mouse on Wednesday?

I'm not sure that footballers shouldn't be able to play 3 hours in a week but the tiredness bandwagon does seem to keep rolling and if you give someone an excuse-----.

I wouldn't swap the win on weds for a win today. Nothing better than beating the Cheats apart from tottscum of course!
We are not going to win the league or qualify for Champs league, nor I suspect be relegated. So let's win a trophy instead, winning the Efl cup might be the start of something.

Understand your point although I would sway Wednesday's win for 3 points. Because, make no mistake, unless we address the striker situation, which we can't do until January anyway, we will be in a relegation scrap.

We didn't play badly yesterday but we lacked any sort of cutting edge. And even with my optimistic head on after the Stoke game I can't see us getting anything from Spurs, Man U and Liverpool away or the visit of Arsenal. And even Stoke worries me to an extent in that they have won their last 2 and are capable of scoring which, given our striking issues, has to be a concern.

If those results go as I am afraid they will, even if we beat Stoke, a big "if" imo, we will only have 13 points from 15 games. If Stoke get even a draw tonight we are one place above the drop zone and with that run of fixtures coming up confidence, or lack of it, could become a factor.
2 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

palerider

Postby palerider » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:48 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Towie wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
I take it you agree with my comment that it was a mistake sending the first choice team out in the Mickey Mouse on Wednesday?

I'm not sure that footballers shouldn't be able to play 3 hours in a week but the tiredness bandwagon does seem to keep rolling and if you give someone an excuse-----.

I wouldn't swap the win on weds for a win today. Nothing better than beating the Cheats apart from tottscum of course!
We are not going to win the league or qualify for Champs league, nor I suspect be relegated. So let's win a trophy instead, winning the Efl cup might be the start of something.

Understand your point although I would sway Wednesday's win for 3 points. Because, make no mistake, unless we address the striker situation, which we can't do until January anyway, we will be in a relegation scrap.

We didn't play badly yesterday but we lacked any sort of cutting edge. And even with my optimistic head on after the Stoke game I can't see us getting anything from Spurs, Man U and Liverpool away or the visit of Arsenal. And even Stoke worries me to an extent in that they have won their last 2 and are capable of scoring which, given our striking issues, has to be a concern.

If those results go as I am afraid they will, even if we beat Stoke, a big "if" imo, we will only have 13 points from 15 games. If Stoke get even a draw tonight we are one place above the drop zone and with that run of fixtures coming up confidence, or lack of it, could become a factor.

Agreed.

Confidence plays a large part in how any team performs. The only comfort I take is that after that run of games things do get easier and that in Hull and Sunderland there are two teams far worse than we are if you're considering a relegation scrap, and Burnley tend to burn out by Christmas.

But it should never have come to this. Injuries we can do nothing about although you don't have to be Mystic Meg to have predicted 'wor Andy' pulling a fetlock. Recruitment is an entirely different question though. And while Bilic is not blameless with some bizarre selections and substitutions, the real culprits are the Chuckle Brothers.
0 x

redhammer
Site Admin

Postby redhammer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:56 am

BlackDiamond wrote:
IronsForever wrote:In hindsight , almost 30 years old and ran his heart out Wednesday he should have rested up on the bench that first half. He was flat today . Top players do have a stinker sometimes! He will be fired up for Stoke after that performance :D

That's a fair assessment. For France at the Euro's he had a couple of flat performances. The difference being he was substituted and another player used.

Our manager probably doesn't feel comfortable doing that obviously. It's about the dynamic between the coach and the player. The typical crawl-arse likes to keep the influential sorts happy. Whereas those who are less sensitive to the feelings of cry-babies go there own way.

Yesterday Dimi got little creativity behind him, against Palace he had Cresswell. Lanzini and noble played closer too him as well, even Zaza.

Against Chelsea you had the same players but Antonio running ahead and creating space for him to move into with Obiang pinging passes to him.

Yesterday Bolaise did not retreat, why would he when Coleman was back and could have had a nap, therefore Cresswell struggled to bomb forward. Gueye and Barry knew how to stop Lanzini & to fill the space Payet likes to come inside too, noble and Obiang got hassled everytime they had the ball-no time or space.

This meant Payet rarely got the ball with room, or facing evertons goal. Everton got the tactics spot on and just killed anything we had against Palace & Chelsea in terms of threat.

I don't think Everton have been given enough praise in all honesty.
3 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:00 am

redhammer wrote:
BlackDiamond wrote:

Yesterday Dimi got little creativity behind him, against Palace he had Cresswell. Lanzini and noble played closer too him as well, even Zaza.

Against Chelsea you had the same players but Antonio running ahead and creating space for him to move into with Obiang pinging passes to him.

Yesterday Bolaise did not retreat, why would he when Coleman was back and could have had a nap, therefore Cresswell struggled to bomb forward. Gueye and Barry knew how to stop Lanzini & to fill the space Payet likes to come inside too, noble and Obiang got hassled everytime they had the ball-no time or space.

This meant Payet rarely got the ball with room, or facing evertons goal. Everton got the tactics spot on and just killed anything we had against Palace & Chelsea in terms of threat.

Good appraisal I feel . You should be on the telly ;)
0 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:08 am

redhammer wrote:
BlackDiamond wrote:

A fair assessment. We were well on top for about 35 minutes, then having not scored, Everton took control and were worth the win. Which again highlights the lack of a striker worthy of the name because had we taken the lead things may have been completely different. Antonio isn't one. He's a right-winger/right wing-back. If Bilic preferred him up there to our other options it shows just how much faith he has in them (although Fletcher deserves another start), and the folly of bringing them to the club instead of a proven striker in the entire Summer the owners had to do it.
1 x

H4L

Postby H4L » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:28 am

Good assessment Red. The problem is that we have no cutting edge. We desperately need a player upfront who looks a goal threat. I believe we showed craft yesterday but it fizzled out at the crucial times due to the lack of presence upfront. I really hope they are looking at options now! Calleri and Zaza to go back to their clubs in Jan and new blood to come in. Don't know why we didn't take a punt on Dembele when he was at Fulham. He moved there from 500k.
0 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”