West Ham v Stoke - Official Match Thread & preview

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
Mikeveep

Re: West Ham v Stoke - Official Match Thread & preview

Postby Mikeveep » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:51 am

I'm not 'fan'atical.

Every season I have a think about renewing and matches like these, and 40 minutes shuffles to the station as I had to yesterday, are going to play a big part in next years decision.

Poor value so far,
0 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:06 pm

This is the flip side benefit of trying to "go global" and stretch your support base. When your support base comes from afar so does the cost of showing up for the day.
For years West Ham was supported by people that lived within a few miles of the stadium. No longer the case as many from the East End, Barking, Dagenham etc have all moved farther out.

And as you lads have said...... the club can NOT take people's attendance for granted.
For me the cost isn't an issue. My ticket was very cheap and journey is cheap although a ball ache with the trains currently.
Ironically most of my money for the day goes on Gonzo and Geo's fucking boat :i am genuinely amused:
No complaints though because it's often been the most fun part of the day (Chelsea aside).
0 x
When Bobby George walks into town, Clint Eastwood walks out

ArnoldHills

Postby ArnoldHills » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:12 pm

JayK wrote:What got me today was we had 3 at the back AND normally Noble often just against Bony. Now how a 3 man defence can't handle 1 striker is beyond me when we have the ball. I think sometimes the wing backs were too far forward and the defensive midfielders were too far back so there was a gulf between defence and attack and stoke had the time to organise, get tight and stifle the wing backs and attacking midfielders and so passes weren't getting through. With that said, the movement of the team was pretty non existent and has been like that majority of the season. Far too often I saw throw ins with nobody actually moving for the ball, just standing there watching the thrower trying to work out what was the best of a bad situation. The attacking midfielders also never moved around that much to create any space. This is why I think sometimes we saw Ayew dropping to the defensive midfielder position to get the fucking ball. All that for me is disgraceful. So all in all, a shit game of football all round really and kinda wished (but not) that I stayed at home.

I agree that there was very little movement off the ball versus Stoke. But credit Mark Hughes and his tactics for this. He clogged up the midfield, with five players across, and I noted Charlie Adam was man-marking Payet at times which created some confusion and took Dimi out of the game. Slav eventually got his tactics right, but as Charlie said in the recap, it was way too late. Should've been done at half time.

So I think we need to look at our poor play yesterday in large measure due to the set up and system that the opposing team's manager threw at us. Good on Hughes.

I'm not sure that Slav, although a great man manager, is a very good tactician.
0 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:21 pm

ToneLoc wrote:This is the flip side benefit of trying to "go global" and stretch your support base. When your support base comes from afar so does the cost of showing up for the day.
For years West Ham was supported by people that lived within a few miles of the stadium. No longer the case as many from the East End, Barking, Dagenham etc have all moved farther out.

And as you lads have said...... the club can NOT take people's attendance for granted.
For me the cost isn't an issue. My ticket was very cheap and journey is cheap although a ball ache with the trains currently.
Ironically most of my money for the day goes on Gonzo and Geo's fucking boat :i am genuinely amused:
No complaints though because it's often been the most fun part of the day (Chelsea aside).

Spot on.

Living in the wild west these past 11 years my trips have been rare. Once a season usually. And under Shrek even that was in doubt and was only combined with a night out with my mates in Twickenham.

But my son's old enough now to look after himself. And the inclination to go more often after last season was ramped up. I'm fortunate that I can afford it. But the fare on offer is so poor I wouldn't want to now. I once said on the old site that if an Allardyce team were playing in my back garden. I'd draw the curtains.

But with one notable exception, can anyone explain to me how this season has been any better than anything under the oaf ? It hasn't. With the added bonus of us being far easier to beat than back then.

I was offered the chance to go yesterday. My mate has a family ticket and one of his daughters couldn't go. I had plans but none I couldn't alter. I made the correct decision.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd. But mainly to go on the boat for the first time and the ruby afterwards.

As for the game ? I won't be holding my breath.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:32 pm

I think the club are aware of this situation though...... hence the ticket exchange.
It's a win win for them. They make their money out of season ticket sales and then another 66% of the sell on price for those seats that aren't attended.
Personally I won't use the Ticket Exchange on pure principle (66% should go to charity not the SuGo Fund) or if not..... then percentage (I want 90% of the seat, not 34%).
0 x

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:50 pm

eskimo joe wrote:
Flairon wrote:I totally agree. The 3 points were in the bag FFS!!! Stoke did not look like scoring to me, unless and until Adrian makes that bonehead move. WTF was he thinking!?! It was totally unnecessary and completely inept. You do not see Sunday morning pub league keepers do that FFS!!!

Perhaps it is time for Randolph to start.

Wont happen though, Bilic is stubborn almost to the point of stupidity.

I am asking myself " Now if Randolph doesn't take his shirt in the next game what does that say to him?!" I know I would be thinking of options elsewhere. And he has been prior to this season rumour tells. Well it might become a cert.

Apart from that circus clowns mistake yesterday Joe he made a blunder with 2 crosses and once his confidence took a hit he got worse. He is a great shot stopper and you can't help but like the guy but sheesh he is a liability right now, surely Billic can see that and Randolph is way less un-predictable and now is the time to drop Adrian.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:24 pm

IronsForever wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:
Flairon wrote:I totally agree. The 3 points were in the bag FFS!!! Stoke did not look like scoring to me, unless and until Adrian makes that bonehead move. WTF was he thinking!?! It was totally unnecessary and completely inept. You do not see Sunday morning pub league keepers do that FFS!!!

Perhaps it is time for Randolph to start.

Wont happen though, Bilic is stubborn almost to the point of stupidity.

I am asking myself " Now if Randolph doesn't take his shirt in the next game what does that say to him?!" I know I would be thinking of options elsewhere. And he has been prior to this season rumour tells. Well it might become a cert.

Apart from that circus clowns mistake yesterday Joe he made a blunder with 2 crosses and once his confidence took a hit he got worse. He is a great shot stopper and you can't help but like the guy but sheesh he is a liability right now, surely Billic can see that and Randolph is way less un-predictable and now is the time to drop Adrian.

Yep, Randolph should start next game.
These type of errors from Adrian have become just a bit too common this season.
We can assume that our defence and goalkeeper are going to be very busy over the next few games so can Slav risk a clearly erratic keeper?
0 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:29 pm

ArnoldHills wrote:

I'm not sure that Slav, ALTHOUGH A GREAT MAN MANAGER, is a very good tactician.

Does he have that apocryphal quality Arnold ? I really haven't seen too much evidence of it........

Sorry to put you on the spot, but any examples?

There seem to have been reported problems with several players, Song, Amalfitano. Sakho,Arbeloa, They dont get resolved he just shunts them off. And he maybe could/should have recognised that Tomkins was a very good right back, (though not in Slaven's mould) and persuaded him to hang on.And Antonio hasn't put on the best of faces when being shunted around..
0 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 pm

Mikeveep wrote:
ArnoldHills wrote:

I'm not sure that Slav, ALTHOUGH A GREAT MAN MANAGER, is a very good tactician.

Does he have that apocryphal quality Arnold ? I really haven't seen too much evidence of it........

Sorry to put you on the spot, but any examples?

There seem to have been reported problems with several players, Song, Amalfitano. Sakho,Arbeloa, They dont get resolved he just shunts them off. And he maybe could/should have recognised that Tomkins was a very good right back, (though not in Slaven's mould) and persuaded him to hang on.And Antonio hasn't put on the best of faces when being shunted around..

I'm not sure you'll find too many Premier League squads that don't have a few disgruntled players though Mike. Huge egos, feelings of entitlement and slimy agents playing on these are commonplace nowadays.
0 x

BlackDiamond

Postby BlackDiamond » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:24 pm

ArnoldHills wrote:Here's my take on Adrian's rush of blood. He was clipped in the box by Crouch a couple of minutes before Bojan's goal. He was down on the ground clutching his knee at that time and it was clearly painful for him. From what I saw, Crouch's raking Adrian's his knee was inadvertent. But Adrian was dead set on retaliation and inflicting punishment on a Stoke player in retribution. What I saw when he started his run out to the edge of his box is that he was dead set on taking out the Stoke player and thought he would get to the ball at the same time as Walters and could follow through with his boot through the player to inflict the revenge he was looking for. He was late, and hence the foul and the goal. But what is inexcusable is that he prioritized own self interest in retaliating against the best interest of his team. He ultimately punished his own team rather than his intended target. He owes each of his teammates an apology, and because of his unprofessional and selfish behavior, he should be dropped for the next match.

I read this twice and it's not that far fetched. Ok,we can't know what's in a players mind obviously, but as explanations go,it's a bloody good shot in the dark.
0 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”