West Ham v Stoke - Official Match Thread & preview

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham v Stoke - Official Match Thread & preview

Postby Whiskyman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Mikeveep wrote:I'm not 'fan'atical.

Every season I have a think about renewing and matches like these, and 40 minutes shuffles to the station as I had to yesterday, are going to play a big part in next years decision.

Poor value so far,

Poor value on the pitch is nothing new for us long standing supporters is it though Mike? To read some of the comments on here you'd think poor football was something that we are all experiencing for the first time on our home patch.

And as for 40 minute shuffles to the station I agree we can all look back with fondness how excellent the transport infrastructure was back at Upton Park. Oh what fun it was getting straight onto an oh so reliable District Line train, after a brisk walk along Green Street to the station, straight to the platform without queuing, and being whisked into the heart of the metropolis to catch one's connection to the leafy suburbs.

And let's not forget the joy of road travel from E13. Speeding away Eastwards along the 8 lane highway that is Barking Road. ;)
1 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:13 pm

I was spoiled,Whisky...

I had an old client (We run The Complete Blind Service) two minutes from the station who supplied me with a block of residents parking tickets each season. Leaving the West Stand promptly ( We did leave a minute early!) We could be in my car in 10/12 mnutes.

I dont mind the current 15 minute sharp walk getting to the ground from the station but the return shuffle in inclement weather after a poor result is depressing.
0 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:30 pm

Mikeveep wrote:I was spoiled,Whisky...

I had an old client (We run The Complete Blind Service) two minutes from the station who supplied me with a block of residents parking tickets each season. Leaving the West Stand promptly ( We did leave a minute early!) We could be in my car in 10/12 mnutes.

I dont mind the current 15 minute sharp walk getting to the ground from the station but the return shuffle in inclement weather after a poor result is depressing.

I never had that problem . Outta the South Bank/BMU straight in the working mans club 2 mins later :i am genuinely amused:
0 x

JayK

Postby JayK » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:53 pm

ArnoldHills wrote:
JayK wrote:What got me today was we had 3 at the back AND normally Noble often just against Bony. Now how a 3 man defence can't handle 1 striker is beyond me when we have the ball. I think sometimes the wing backs were too far forward and the defensive midfielders were too far back so there was a gulf between defence and attack and stoke had the time to organise, get tight and stifle the wing backs and attacking midfielders and so passes weren't getting through. With that said, the movement of the team was pretty non existent and has been like that majority of the season. Far too often I saw throw ins with nobody actually moving for the ball, just standing there watching the thrower trying to work out what was the best of a bad situation. The attacking midfielders also never moved around that much to create any space. This is why I think sometimes we saw Ayew dropping to the defensive midfielder position to get the fucking ball. All that for me is disgraceful. So all in all, a shit game of football all round really and kinda wished (but not) that I stayed at home.

I agree that there was very little movement off the ball versus Stoke. But credit Mark Hughes and his tactics for this. He clogged up the midfield, with five players across, and I noted Charlie Adam was man-marking Payet at times which created some confusion and took Dimi out of the game. Slav eventually got his tactics right, but as Charlie said in the recap, it was way too late. Should've been done at half time.

So I think we need to look at our poor play yesterday in large measure due to the set up and system that the opposing team's manager threw at us. Good on Hughes.

I'm not sure that Slav, although a great man manager, is a very good tactician.

True about Stokes tactics. Makes it easy for them when we're just playing musical fuckin statues though. I did notice a change at half time but it didn't last long. Kouyate started to carry the ball down the right which released Antonio a bit more. Must've lasted for all of about 5 minutes though.

Slav got loads of decisions right last season andvdone them when they needed to be done. Whoever it was who said Slav has got a bit too confident after his 1st season last year made a very good point.
0 x
COYI!!!

redhammer
Site Admin

Postby redhammer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:56 pm

Mikeveep wrote:
ArnoldHills wrote:

I'm not sure that Slav, ALTHOUGH A GREAT MAN MANAGER, is a very good tactician.

Does he have that apocryphal quality Arnold ? I really haven't seen too much evidence of it........

Sorry to put you on the spot, but any examples?

There seem to have been reported problems with several players, Song, Amalfitano. Sakho,Arbeloa, They dont get resolved he just shunts them off. And he maybe could/should have recognised that Tomkins was a very good right back, (though not in Slaven's mould) and persuaded him to hang on.And Antonio hasn't put on the best of faces when being shunted around..

And Nolan. Plus Valencia has had some digs at Slav since leaving.

This time next year we can add Oxford to the list as well.
0 x

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Hull and West Brom pulled off Miracle wins today and have sucked us in!!
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Flairon

Re: Review Video

Postby Flairon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:19 am

Cannot blame Collins IMRO. Adrian fucked up all by himself!
0 x
Flairon

ArnoldHills

Postby ArnoldHills » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:12 am

BlackDiamond wrote:
ArnoldHills wrote:Here's my take on Adrian's rush of blood. He was clipped in the box by Crouch a couple of minutes before Bojan's goal. He was down on the ground clutching his knee at that time and it was clearly painful for him. From what I saw, Crouch's raking Adrian's his knee was inadvertent. But Adrian was dead set on retaliation and inflicting punishment on a Stoke player in retribution. What I saw when he started his run out to the edge of his box is that he was dead set on taking out the Stoke player and thought he would get to the ball at the same time as Walters and could follow through with his boot through the player to inflict the revenge he was looking for. He was late, and hence the foul and the goal. But what is inexcusable is that he prioritized own self interest in retaliating against the best interest of his team. He ultimately punished his own team rather than his intended target. He owes each of his teammates an apology, and because of his unprofessional and selfish behavior, he should be dropped for the next match.

I read this twice and it's not that far fetched. Ok,we can't know what's in a players mind obviously, but as explanations go,it's a bloody good shot in the dark.

Glad you thought my perception has merit. I'm quite sure what happened is what I described. We know Adrian has this tendency to go after players who he feels have intentionally injured him. How he thought he could get away with it on a ball so far away is a mystery, and certainly poor judgement. Look at the sequence of events from Crouch's clip in the box to the goal. The sequence will show up as I've described it.
0 x

ArnoldHills

Postby ArnoldHills » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:29 am

Mikeveep wrote:
ArnoldHills wrote:

Does he have that apocryphal quality Arnold ? I really haven't seen too much evidence of it........

There seem to have been reported problems with several players, Song, Amalfitano. Sakho,Arbeloa, They dont get resolved he just shunts them off. And he maybe could/should have recognised that Tomkins was a very good right back, (though not in Slaven's mould) and persuaded him to hang on.And Antonio hasn't put on the best of faces when being shunted around..

Do you really think the issues with Amalfitano and Sakho are because of Slaven's interpersonal skills? Song, who wound up Sakho on the pitch? I don't know the Arbeloa issue, but I do know that the players clearly loved Slaven last season, and vice-versa. He never slags off a player publicly. How many players last year said they loved playing for the gaffer? How many managers kiss their players after a terrific win or performance. Slav did that last year. Is that poor man-management?

I disagree with your assessment of Antonio's facial expressions being an example of poor man-management. Granted Slav blew it tactically with Antonio ("Big Time" as Slav would say), but on the contrary I've been so impressed with how Beast has handled the situation. He was amazingly quiet during that period, keeping quiet like a great professional, and coming out in interviews that he'll do what's best for the team. I find your example lacking.

And Tomkins? Tonks didn't want to be with us if he couldn't be guaranteed a starting position or playing time at the minimum. Slav told Tonks he was wanted but couldn't provide those guarantees? So he's a poor man manager because he can't convince a player to stay by not being able to guarantee playing time? How many managers would have lied? Slav is respected by the players because he is honest with him, and earning a squads trust and respect is great man-management. Full stop.
0 x

ArnoldHills

Postby ArnoldHills » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:45 am

Mikeveep wrote:
ArnoldHills wrote:

Ok, Mike - you want a specific example of Slav's great man-management. I'll give it to you. Why would a manager bring on a 16 year old at the opening game of the London Stadium in a Europa league qualifier before 54K spectators in the dying minutes, ahead of Burke, Cullen and Page? Because he wanted to provide that 16 year old with an experience he'll never forget. Sounds like great man-management to me.
0 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”