West Ham v Man Utd - Official Match Threads

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
master

Re: West Ham v Man Utd - Official Match Threads

Postby master » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:27 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
master wrote:we should be playing 4 at the back, 3 in midfield and 2 in behind a single striker.

JUST LIKE WE DID LAST YEAR.

this current system plugged a hole in our defence by simply adding an addition player there. it did not solve the problem, it solved the consequence. the problem itself, early on in the season, was a complete lack of defending from the striker (zaza), which sakho provided us last year. in turn the midfield two (noble, kouyate) were covering for 3 players(lanzini, payet, zaza) who didnt track and hassle.

by going to 3 at the back, we put an extra body in a leaky area, and therefore compromised the midfield, where we are now extremely light. with the same front 3 who still don't track and hassle.

last year, when we had no right back, we use tomkins in a VERY disciplined role. he wouldn't attack much, but was solid defensively. antonio was thus given a lot of licence to attack. the other side, cresswell's athletic ability covered for the guy in front of him not always tracking back (payet or lanzini).

right now, we should be looking to play someone at right back in a back four. kouyate, oxford, or my choice, reece burke (recalled of course).

eg

Randolph
Burke Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Obiang Kouyate
Lanzini
Antonio Payet
Sahko

or

Andrian
Kouyate Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Obiang Noble
Lanzini
Antonio Payet
Sahko

we are going nowhere with this current 3 4 3 / 3 5 1 1 or whatever. cresswell has been negated, antonio cannot be bothered facing our goal, we end up sometimes with 6 at the back. that means that we are left with ONLY 4 players who are not in the back line to press the entire opposition. NEVER GOING TO WORK.

i'm ranting. so annoyed as its so damn obvious when you watch it. how the coach cant see it in his post match reviews i'll never know.

Well we won't be seeing Sakho until the end of the ACON at the earliest so who do we have in that space until then?

with the options we have right now, i'd say carroll or fletcher. and with youngster, to tell him to press and run his backside off, even if it means withdrawal at 60 mins. i cannot believe he's being coached to do that right now.

also i genuinely believe the reason for these injuries is the lack of resting time we have because we are constantly chasing the ball. again that is due to the system where it is relying on players like noble, obiang, antionio and creswell to run like mad-men. we dont retain the ball in midfield at all (there are only two players in there after all) and so we never rest with possession. if you've ever done sprint work on a track, you know how important rests are between sprints for muscle recovery.
0 x
whufc_crest

IronsForever

Re: Fuck that was poor

Postby IronsForever » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:28 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
LittleHammerton wrote:I have to agree....I love Payet and all he can bring to a team, but tonight he couldn't have looked less interested both in his play and his general demeanour on the field, even after his assist didn't seem interested in congratulating Fletcher. I fear he will be off in January with us in the position we are.

Watching us tonight was really painful after the joys of last season!

I'm not that bothered about Dimi - he looked joyless in his play. If he is going to mechanically plod through games,then lets cash in on last seasons form quick.

In contrast, Ibra always gives the appearance of really wanting involvement. His little prompting passes and first time flicks,keep their attacking rhythm ticking over.

29 years old . 2 games in 3 days. Feggo was over the right. fernandes tied up in middle with Obiang. When Man U had the ball the pitch was huge. Didn't like the team selection before the game. Payet needs help because when he is isolated he is out the game both defensively and attacking. Hard to say he wasn't bothered id say his head goes down when he sees whats options he has sometimes. I would have put Noble in for feggo.. would have played Antonio up on his own and Fernandes right wing back. Fletcher tried his best but not experienced enough to hold the responsibility of lone striker in a game like that when you need to buy your team a few seconds here and there. 2 Strikers did stretch them more because when the " 2 " strikers make moves it leaves space for a couple of runners . Isn't that what Man U do??
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Maz

Postby Maz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:33 pm

We need a leader someone to kick people up the arse and show some fight something we have lacked all season to many players standing with there hands on there hips waiting for someone else to put the effort in :evil:
0 x

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:40 pm

master wrote:we should be playing 4 at the back, 3 in midfield and 2 in behind a single striker.

this current system plugged a hole in our defence by simply adding an addition player there. it did not solve the problem, it solved the consequence. the problem itself, early on in the season, was a complete lack of defending from the striker (zaza), which sakho provided us last year. in turn the midfield two (noble, kouyate) were covering for 3 players(lanzini, payet, zaza) who didnt track and hassle.

by going to 3 at the back, we put an extra body in a leaky area, and therefore compromised the midfield, where we are now extremely light. with the same front 3 who still don't track and hassle.

last year, when we had no right back, we use tomkins in a VERY disciplined role. he wouldn't attack much, but was solid defensively. antonio was thus given a lot of licence to attack. the other side, cresswell's athletic ability covered for the guy in front of him not always tracking back (payet or lanzini).

right now, we should be looking to play someone at right back in a back four. kouyate, oxford, or my choice, reece burke (recalled of course).

eg

Randolph
Obiang Kouyate
Lanzini
Antonio Payet
Sahko

or

Andrian
Obiang Noble
Lanzini
Antonio Payet
Sahko

we are going nowhere with this current 3 4 3 / 3 5 1 1 or whatever. cresswell has been negated, antonio cannot be bothered facing our goal, we end up sometimes with 6 at the back. that means that we are left with ONLY 4 players who are not in the back line to press the entire opposition. NEVER GOING TO WORK.

i'm ranting. so annoyed as its so damn obvious when you watch it. how the coach cant see it in his post match reviews i'll never know.

Great Post because that was certainly the case tonight. I was shouting after 15 mins press them press them. There was a huge gap between the 2nd and 3rd lines which they played in and got lots of players in! They could have put 7 or 8 passed us it was that easy for them. Fernandes was sitting in with Obiang with Feggo and Anontio tracking back and they had no outlets. Payet was watched and when we found a player the time they had on the ball was very limited due to their players already being in them areas.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:44 pm

master wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:

eg

Randolph
Obiang Kouyate
Lanzini
Antonio Payet
Sahko

or

Andrian
Obiang Noble
Lanzini
Antonio Payet
Sahko

Well we won't be seeing Sakho until the end of the ACON at the earliest so who do we have in that space until then?

with the options we have right now, i'd say carroll or fletcher

Which, in reality leaves us with Fletcher because Carroll can't be factored into anything beyond "bonus" appearances.
Which, in turn returns us to the age old issue of no feasible strikers and no RB. Talking of which..... where is Arbeloa btw? Did he just suddenly become shit after all those appearances for Real Madrid?
0 x
When Bobby George walks into town, Clint Eastwood walks out

jhammers

Postby jhammers » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:49 pm

That was pretty shocking. Payet owes the fans an apology after a performance like that. Didn't even try.
0 x

Porterman

Postby Porterman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:37 am

Wokinhknobhead won't be happy with you!!
0 x

Taansend

Re: Porterman's alternative Manc match thread :)

Postby Taansend » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 am

(**^^^PORTERMAN&^%$@^@^) does have a "point".

WE should have SEVERAL HUNDRED threads on each game ++++Rather than ONE++++ **thread+++ )

On EACH game :shock:

GAME()()()()

HE kNOWs $$$$$
1 x

tassiehammer

Postby tassiehammer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:10 am

grandad wrote:That was hard viewing ..... payet looked very uninterested ...... well he did watching it on my phone

I fear arsenal could ripp us a new one Saturday

Hey, heads up you lot.
That wasn't the real Payet out there tonight showing little interest.
He was round Grandad's watching the game on his phone. Grandad's dobbed him in. Or grassed him up in Canning Town talk. :)
0 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:57 am

The way I saw it was that we were beaten by a much better team.

Antonio aside, who I thought had a dreadful game, I didn't see anyone else being awful. Individual errors, like Payet for their second, but 6 out of 10's all round. United on the other hand were excellent.

I just hope that Antonio and Cresswell aren't injured and it was just a case of not risking them. But I do feel that Payet hasn't many games left in a West Ham shirt. While not hitting the heights of last season he's still made the most chances of anyone else in the league. For a team in 16th position that's quite an achievement. I too saw the reaction for our goal and it doesn't bode well. However much the Chuckles offer him, he'll get much more elsewhere and in a better side. I've been saying for a while now that they need to cash out.

We often played some good stuff last night only for it to fall down when we couldn't get enough players up to support Fletcher, which is where it broke down. And a Kouyate-like presence (of last season) in midfield to get tackles in is badly lacking. United swarmed through there at will. Fernandes did ok but showed his immaturity. I like Obiang but he's not a ball-winner.

Not the end of the world but some reinforcements are seriously needed next month.

And I hope Gonzo and those who went on such a balmy evening, got back safely.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Return to “Match Day Threads”