West Ham v Hull - Official Match Thread

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
Taansend

West Ham v Hull - Official Match Thread

Postby Taansend » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Here's an interesting fact, Hull is actually called Kingston Upon Hull although its original name was King's Town Upon Hull after King Edward 1 gave it a Royal Charter in 1299.

Hull, on average, gets 679.9mm of rain each year and their largest ethnic minority group are Iraqi Kurds.

Famous people from King's Town Upon Hull include.........

Fatboy Slim
Everything but the Girl
A Shirley Bassey impressionist named Joe
Nick Barmby
Luke Campbell (Gold medal winner in 2012 Boxing)

Hull are currently in 19th position in the league with 3 wins, 3 draws & 10 losses having shipped 35 goals (the most in the league) while scoring 14 (2nd lowest) and they have the worst goal difference with -21. They won their opening two games meaning they've only won one of the last 14, and they have only kept one clean sheet (Swansea in their 2nd game of the season).

On October 6th 1990 we beat them 7-1 at home in the old Second division (we got promoted that season while Hull got relegated.

Another win like that would be nice :D

Yesterday's win over Burnley has opened up a 4 point gap between us & relegation and a win this weekend could see us within striking distance of the top half of the table. Despite our disappointing start to the season we are still in with a shout of repeating last seasons 7th place. Hopefully we can keep everyone fit & get an established starting 11. We're still only about 40% of the way through the season.

I only saw the highlights from yesterdays game & they were pretty boring :i am genuinely amused: We're still not clicking at home & it might be another season until we do. As always our fans saw varying differences with some saying this player was shit while others say he was brilliant but so & so was shit. I heard Carroll shouldn't be near the starting 11 while on some sites he was Man of the Match.

I expect Bilic to put the same team out although I'd like to see us with two strikers against a team that leaks goals like Hull.

Randy
Kouyate Reid Ogbog
Antonio Lanzini Obiang Cresswell
Payet
Carroll Fletcher

But I doubt if Slaven will take any notice of my starting eleven :roll:

Hopefully we'll kick on & put two or three goals past Hull.

3-1 to the Hammers.

And I look forward to the completely different opinions after the game :D
3 x

Taansend

Re: West Ham v Hull - Official Match Thread

Postby Taansend » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:59 pm

And one more thing, I'm chuffed to see Quina on the bench. Hopefully if we're comfortably up we'll see him get a cameo performance on Saturday.

cameo.jpg
cameo.jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 652 times
1 x

wokinghama

Postby wokinghama » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Word up
1 x
Red Kites eat from my garden

downunda

Postby downunda » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:33 pm

I said before the Burnley game that these two games will be the turning point of our season, and I still believe this.

There’s been a lot said about individual players, the tactics, the ground, the substitutions, but basically this is now almost the same team and manager as last season.

The Difference:
Last season we had a good start, a new manager, optimism of a new stadium, and exciting players. Because of these things we were looking at the top of the table with absolutely no pressure. We were going forward with abandonment, and as long as we were scoring more goals than we conceded who cared.

Players like, Lanzini, Antonio, Kouyate, Cresswell, and Payet could venture forward trying all sorts of tricks with confidence in their ability, and confidant there would be someone backing them up to clean up if they lost the ball. We have been seeing glimpses of this type of football but not for a full game.

The difference now is the pressure is on due to the bad start (mainly from injuries), and talk of relegation.

For me one of the biggest issues right now is lack of confidence, if we can string a few wins together things will be completely different, at this stage I don’t care how the wins come, the good football will return thereafter.

An underlying problem is we don’t appear to handle pressure very well, this was also true at the end of last season.

If the confidence returns the problems with all the above mentioned will be a thing of the past.

In Bilic I trust
COYI ;)
2 x
Man with fork tongue should never kiss balloon

Gonzo

Video: Hull Preview

Postby Gonzo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:24 pm

The games are coming thick and fast . . . . . I can't keep up but let's hope the players can

1 x

jhammers

Re: Video: Hull Preview

Postby jhammers » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Good video lads.

Im bored of the 3-5-2/5-3-2 whatever you want to call it. We need to go back to 4-4-2 in my opinion. Push Antonio further forward. Whether that is right wing, or up front with Carroll.

Id like to see:

Randolph,
Nordveit, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell
Antonio, Obiang, Lanzini, Payet
Fletcher, Carroll

Subs:
Adrian, Kouyate, Fernandes, Noble, Browne, Ayew, Martinez

Must win game (again)
0 x

Thailandkev

Postby Thailandkev » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:48 am

Great show guys I have to agree with nearly everything said . Tom summed it up perfectly against Burnley we had 7 players defending with nothing up front in the 2nd half .
With our problem at right back it leaves us with a massive problem who to play there .
I would like to see Antonio up front with Carroll thought he was brilliant against Liverpool and is the only one who gets in the box for us , none of the others payet , Lanzini , noble or obiang try to get on the end of anything that drops from Carroll
As for the team against hull i haven't got a scooby who to play apart from two up front TBH
Hopefully we win 2-0
COYI whufc_crest
0 x

Scott

Postby Scott » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:55 pm

The thing is can we score two or more at home because I can see Hull scoring. We have scored only 8 at home this season. Hull have a great coach that has done wonders with the team he has. We need 3 points but I'm not convinced we will get them. Im fed up of these fancy formations. We need 4-4-2 and we need to play like we are at home.

Nice to see Tom back on.
0 x
I'm not saying I hate you, but I would unplug your life support to charge my phone

garnett

Postby garnett » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Come on lads chin up, they might just surprise us with a performance.
If I may add to what Gonzo was saying about a box to box midfielder, I thought we missed a trick when we didn't go in for JJ Shelvey, ticks all the box to boxes for me.
0 x

redhammer
Site Admin

Postby redhammer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:04 pm

garnett wrote:Come on lads chin up, they might just surprise us with a performance.
If I may add to what Gonzo was saying about a box to box midfielder, I thought we missed a trick when we didn't go in for JJ Shelvey, ticks all the box to boxes for me.

The more I see his replacement, Fer, the more I'd like him.
0 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”