Leicester v West Ham (away)- Official Match Thread

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
Gonzo

Re: West Ham v Leicester - Official Match Thread

Postby Gonzo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:40 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:Sometimes I still feel Slav's just throwing on players without any real strategic intent behind the subs.
None of the subs appeared to really change anything.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure he'll get a new contract Tone. 6 months left on the current deal and it's unconvincing at the moment.

It's frustrating Kris because we all really like the bloke and i'm WILLING him to start nailing some of this stuff.
In fairness, Leicester did look a bit more like the side of last season and threw everything into that game so they were always going to be hard to break down.
Whilst the starting line was hard to disagree with it's hard to see what Slav had in mind for the subs
Noble was enforced so Slav went DM for an AM.
Followed by Feghouli and Fernandes.
Suddenly we're flooded with attack minded midfielders on the pitch with a lone target man up front.

Again...in fairness to Slav he has little to work with regarding natural strikers but wasn't Fletcher worth a go up with Carroll??

I'm NO strategist or tactician but that's the way I saw it through my own layman eyes :)

I'd love him to come good mate but he rarely predicts anything correctly and when he does suss that something is wrong he reacts too slowly. Be-it Antonio at RB, a switch of formation or even a substitution the penny seems to drop a lot later than it should.
1 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:58 pm

Gonzo wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure he'll get a new contract Tone. 6 months left on the current deal and it's unconvincing at the moment.

It's frustrating Kris because we all really like the bloke and i'm WILLING him to start nailing some of this stuff.
In fairness, Leicester did look a bit more like the side of last season and threw everything into that game so they were always going to be hard to break down.
Whilst the starting line was hard to disagree with it's hard to see what Slav had in mind for the subs
Suddenly we're flooded with attack minded midfielders on the pitch with a lone target man up front.

Again...in fairness to Slav he has little to work with regarding natural strikers but wasn't Fletcher worth a go up with Carroll??

I'm NO strategist or tactician but that's the way I saw it through my own layman eyes :)

I'd love him to come good mate but he rarely predicts anything correctly and when he does suss that something is wrong he reacts too slowly. Be-it Antonio at RB, a switch of formation or even a substitution the penny seems to drop a lot later than it should.

Agree mate.
Last season we had a more compact squad where everything seemed to fit and many of the subs that were made were generally like for like rather than systematic formation changes. This season, the extra and largely ineffective additions seems to have thrown Slav into a lot of confusion and he's still juggling too many varia-balls ( ;) ) and looks out of his comfort zone.

I'd like to cut him some slack and say that it's poor recruiting in the summer that's really hurting........ but he's the manager so should have influence in this too. If he has had very little say.....then the club should back him up and take some responsibility. It's not as if they don't like talking about stuff when they get it right.

Still..... this is West Ham and for sure now we'll go and stuff the red Mancs 5-0 on Monday :i am genuinely amused: shakeass
0 x
When Bobby George walks into town, Clint Eastwood walks out

palerider

Postby palerider » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Stats from the Beeb. 60% possession. Ignore that....means nothing.

But we had 25 shots. Without checking I'd say that was by far the most we've had all season. But 5 on target. 20%.

Pathetic. And there lies the problem.
1 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:13 pm

IronsForever wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

For what Ayew offers in the middle, might as well start with Fletch and Carrol and bench Ayew.
Again everything revolves around Payet. He won't do that because he starts with Antonio and Payet and that only leaves 2 DM's leaving us weak because the above mentioned are not tacklers. Take Payet out the equation and you have Fletcher up with Carrol. Antonio free pass in behind and 3 mid players behind him ... Obiang... Kouyate Lanzini/ Fernandes.
To be honest most of them players are not on Payet's wave length. There was a moment in that game where Payet had the ball down the left around 30 yards out and was closed down by 3 players. he looked for Antonio who was marked in the box to run towards him so he could poke the ball through the gap which he did anyway but it went no where because Antonio couldn't anticipate that. Same with Ayew he isn't on the same frequency as him. We need to let Payet go because the payers around him bar Lanzini are not technically good enough to play off him.
Maybe then we wont go sideways so much untill a pass to Payet becomes visible. Let Lanzini , Fernandes, Obiang, Kouyate and Noble step up and play more positively .
Also we will play more direct like the moment Lanzini came on and put Carrol thought. Sorry but we are not good enough to tip toe around in that middle waiting for Payet to create something

Good points made mate but regarding the final point..... what I will say is..... we seemed to be on his wavelength last season.
0 x
When Bobby George walks into town, Clint Eastwood walks out

redhammer
Site Admin

Postby redhammer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Gonzo wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:
Gonzo wrote:We seemed to lack any sort of idea today

Sometimes I still feel Slav's just throwing on players without any real strategic intent behind the subs.
None of the subs appeared to really change anything.

18 months
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:31 pm

JustLikeMyDreams wrote:
Taansend wrote:It's my fault because I'm at work.

And I'll be working on Monday too :(

Stop moaning Taans,works good for you :D

But it's not good for West Ham
0 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Taansend wrote:
JustLikeMyDreams wrote:
Taansend wrote:It's my fault because I'm at work.

And I'll be working on Monday too :(

Stop moaning Taans,works good for you :D

But it's not good for West Ham

Take a sick day off!... :D
1 x

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:56 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
IronsForever wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:It's frustrating Kris because we all really like the bloke and i'm WILLING him to start nailing some of this stuff.

For what Ayew offers in the middle, might as well start with Fletch and Carrol and bench Ayew.
Again everything revolves around Payet. He won't do that because he starts with Antonio and Payet and that only leaves 2 DM's leaving us weak because the above mentioned are not tacklers. Take Payet out the equation and you have Fletcher up with Carrol. Antonio free pass in behind and 3 mid players behind him ... Obiang... Kouyate Lanzini/ Fernandes.
To be honest most of them players are not on Payet's wave length. There was a moment in that game where Payet had the ball down the left around 30 yards out and was closed down by 3 players. he looked for Antonio who was marked in the box to run towards him so he could poke the ball through the gap which he did anyway but it went no where because Antonio couldn't anticipate that. Same with Ayew he isn't on the same frequency as him. We need to let Payet go because the payers around him bar Lanzini are not technically good enough to play off him.
Maybe then we wont go sideways so much untill a pass to Payet becomes visible. Let Lanzini , Fernandes, Obiang, Kouyate and Noble step up and play more positively .
Also we will play more direct like the moment Lanzini came on and put Carrol thought. Sorry but we are not good enough to tip toe around in that middle waiting for Payet to create something

Good points made mate but regarding the final point..... what I will say is..... we seemed to be on his wavelength last season.

I agree Ton last year we were and against Chelsea we were also but this year its not happening enough. Maybe the tactics have changed or the players mindset i have no idea. I would love to see Payet end his career here and if we can get a couple of class players maybe he will. If we don't i don't see any point in setting up around him week in week out.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:11 pm

I missed the first 15 minutes so when I tuned in we were already a goal down but from what I saw we fucking murdered em and were very unlucky to lose .

If we had Sakho up top today instead of Carroll we would have won 2 or 3 - 1 .

The system Bilic plays isn't suited to AC , we don't play to his strengths and seem unable to change tactics to suit him.

Not that I believe we should . We should already have a striker to play that Sakho role and Carroll shouldn't be near the starting eleven but we have known that for months so just have to get on with it .

Carroll will get injured soon so Bilic's hand will be forced .

By the way . Ayew . What's HE about ? HOW many millions ?
1 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:12 pm

Well, at least everyone looked fit. No lack of endeavour

So concentrate on skills now,eh Slaven. Other than Antonio's shot on the turn was there any real quality on show.
0 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”