West Ham Crystal Palace - Official Match Thread

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
Taansend

West Ham Crystal Palace - Official Match Thread

Postby Taansend » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:54 pm

The Original Crystal Palace was actually in Hyde Park, built for the Great Exhibition of 1851. After the exhibition it was transferred to Penge Common & it stood there from 1854 until it was burnt down (by fire) in 1936. If the powers that be had decided to place the palace elsewhere we could have been playing Penge & Sydenham United this weekend.

In my youth I spent a fair amount of time in & around Crystal Palace, mainly changing buses or going to Athletics.

Francis Pettit Smith, who invented the screw propeller, lived in the area between 1864 & 1870.

British rapper Speech Debelle was born in Crystal Palace. She left the area because of "traffic and parking problems"

Camille Pissarro, Danish-French Impressionist and Neo-Impressionist painter, stayed in Crystal Palace between 1870 and 1871.

Back in 1998 a nearby pub named the Pleasant Pheasant hung an effigy of David Beckham after the player was sent off against Argentina in the World Cup.

We've only played Crystal Palace 53 times stretching back over 110 years. We've won 21 of those games & lost 14.

16.666666667% of our wins this season have come against Crystal Palace. If we manage to beat them on Saturday that percentage will rise to 28.571429%.

Palace have won 4, drawn 4 & lost 12 of their games this season, scoring 30 & letting in 37 - compared to our 23/35.

Sam Allarcyce just named Sammy Lee as his Assistant Manager meaning that Palace now officially have the largest neck fat ratio in the Premier League.

On Cinco De Mayo in 1998 we came from 3-1 down with thirty minutes to go when club legend Manny Omoyinmi came off the bench to score a brace in a 3 all draw. That game was on a Tuesday. I was in the small Caribbean island of Dominica that day.

Our season has been blighted by injuries (among other things) but this seems to be easing now with Sakho being the only major match day squad member missing aside from Kouyate & Ayew who are at AFCON.

Sam Byram returned to play 58 minutes against Norwich last night in a side that Reece Oxford Captained (himself playing for 71 minutes). Maybe Bilic has an eye to one or both of them in the squad for this weekend. Quina, Martinez, Browne & Fletcher all played the full game with the latter two scoring in a 2-1 win.

Will Bilic stick with his back four of Nordtveit, Reid, Ogbog & Cresswell? I haven't seen our last three games, all losses, so can't comment on any recent individual performances.

Something needs to change. Palace are there for the taking but Allardyce will be installing a defensive attitude in the team. Like him or not he's successful at what he does - which is install a belief in a struggling team. His "If you don't let in a goal, you can't lose" formula may not be pretty to watch but it has served him well in his career. But they haven't won in eight games, and their 3-0 win over Southampton on Decedmber 3rd is their only win in 15 games - including the 1 nil loss to us.

I'd love to see some serious changes for this game and I'd love to see some goals. As I noted elsewhere we haven't scored from open play in five games (aside from Swansea). That's terrible.

I think we'll get a win in a low scoring game that will probably have more fans grumbling than celebrating.
2 x

IronsForever

Re: West Ham Crystal Palace - Official Match Thread

Postby IronsForever » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Shrek brought in Sammy Lee as assistant today. He will set up tight and let us come onto him, he deffo wont be playing the high press so we have to be aware of their speed on the counter attack. Can't see anything but a win for us!
1 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

JustLikeMyDreams

Postby JustLikeMyDreams » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:11 pm

The basic facts is we need 3 points!
The fact it's himself coming back as manager of Palace gives it extra spice!
Get the 3 points and remind Alladyce his arrogance and nonfootballing style is not missed at our club!
It means Billic needs to get the team playing some of that superb football we witnessed last year under him.Not what's been dished up to us so far this season!The players need to put in 100% for Billic & us supporters and give us all something to cheer and be proud of on Saturday night.
whufc_crest fuck the rest
0 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Nice opening Salvo Taaans , let's hope we can give your hero a damn good West Ham thrashing , six of the best trousers down ;)
1 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Newmarket wrote:Nice opening Salvo Taaans , let's hope we can give your hero a damn good West Ham thrashing , six of the best trousers down ;)

I admire him as we look alike but I'd hardly call Sammy Lee my hero
0 x

LondonWelsh

Postby LondonWelsh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:30 pm

I loved Vince Hilaire and that white admiral kit with the red and blue sash in 79/80 but I'd be glad all over if we beat them on Saturday and finally turn this fucking season around. Wayne Hennesey, James Tomkins and Joe Ledley are all good fellas! Come on boys, grow a pair!
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:57 pm

The good news is that I can watch the game this Saturday. The last game I watched us lose was against Arsenal. Since then I've seen us win 3 & draw 1.

Get your money on a West Ham win :D
0 x

JustLikeMyDreams

Postby JustLikeMyDreams » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Taansend wrote:The good news is that I can watch the game this Saturday. The last game I watched us lose was against Arsenal. Since then I've seen us win 3 & draw 1.

Your match day threads have not been very lucky lately :o
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:43 pm

JustLikeMyDreams wrote:
Taansend wrote:The good news is that I can watch the game this Saturday. The last game I watched us lose was against Arsenal. Since then I've seen us win 3 & draw 1.

Your match day threads have not been very lucky lately :o

I know :|
0 x

Ibbyham

Postby Ibbyham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:03 am

Antonio reported sick today and little chance to play so I think he will be out. I do hope Payet NOT to play with our club again as he want out so he can sod off to his black hole.

Squad

Randy: Nordy, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell: Noble, Obiang: Fernandez, Lanzini, Feghlouli: Carroll.

predictions - West Ham 1 - 2 Palace as BFS desperate for a win and PAYET lack of commitment destroyed our confidence this weekend.

PAYET OUT!!!!!
0 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”