West Ham v Manchester Citeh - Official Match Thread

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
Taansend

West Ham v Manchester Citeh - Official Match Thread

Postby Taansend » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:50 pm

VIPLeague
CricTV

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Manchester City, Tottenham.

Apart from last year at least five of those teams have finished in the top seven spots every year since 2001/02. That was a run of 14 years.

Back in 02 only four of them made it as the top seven was gatecrashed by Newcastle (4th), Leeds (5th) & West Ham (7th).

Our team that year was made up of names like Carrick, Cole, Defoe, Di Canio, Kanoute & Sinclair, among others.

In a weird quirk our home form & away form were exact mirror images of each other. We won 12, lost 3 & drew 4 games in East London and lost 12, won 3 & drew 4 games away from home.

Citeh had a good season too, finishing 10 points clear at the top of the Championship (although it wasn't called that then). Their star players were Pearce, Goater, Huckerby & Hurlock. How times have changed.

Anyway, back to today & Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Citeh, Utd & Everton make up the top seven spots & I doubt if they'll change come May.

Here's the important part.
In 79AD the Romans built a fort named Mancunium on a sandstone bluff near the confluence of the rivers Medlock and Irwell. Manchester continued it's existence as a small town for the next 1800 years until the rise of the Industrial Age brought about rapid growth. It is now part of the UK's 2nd largest urban area.

Manchester is twinned with.....
Amsterdam, (2007)
Aydın, Turkey
Bilwi, Nicaragua
Chemnitz, Germany (1983)
Córdoba, Spain
Leskovac, Serbia
Faisalabad, Pakistan (1997)
States Los Angeles, United States (2009)
Rehovot, Israel
Saint Petersburg, Russia (1962)
Wuhan, China (1986)

I know I've mentioned this before but I once knew a transvestite from the Greater Manchester area. He had a Wigan address :D

That one never gets old :i am genuinely amused:

Citeh's results have been patchy to say the least lately with only one league win in their last four (Burnley) & they got completely taken apart against Everton (4-0) although the week before that they spanked us 5 nil in an evening FA Cup match at our stadium (we're playing them on Wednesday evening next week).

But that was before the Payet Incident.

In our last two games we've scored six goals and, while we haven't been playing brilliantly in those games, we are looking like a different team compared to before la merde a frappé le ventilateur. We look like we give a fuck now.

In fact the last time we scored six goals over two league games was back in April when we beat Watford 3-1 & West Brom 3-0 with Mark Noble scoring four of those goals.

Carroll is on fire & we have other players either returning from injury or finding their form just when we needed it most.

But is it enough to beat Man City? If they play to their best then we have little chance as they are fantastic on their day but if we can get the team starting well & the crowd playing a passionate part then a win isn't out of the question. We need to get on them early & don't give them room to breathe.

A win could see us leapfrog Stoke who are at home to Everton. A loss could see us drop to 13th.

We might see a few changes in the starting line up with Ogbonna being out for the season so we should see new signing Fonte coming straight in for him. Carroll & Noble also have small injuries but should be ok by next week. We may even see a Snodgrass or a Hogan in the squad that day - and maybe NOT a Feghouli or Calleri.

But I reckon we'll just see the one change with the team looking something like......

Randy
Byram Reid Fonte Cresswell
Feghouli Noble Obiang Antonio
Lanzini
Carroll

I think we've turned a corner & we are going to see a fantastic team performance next week with Captain Mark Noble leading the team with a goal in a 3-1 win. Carroll & Antonio to get the other two.

whufc_crest
5 x

IronsForever

Re: West Ham v Manchester Citeh - Official Match Thread

Postby IronsForever » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Very nice intro again Tans.
Not looking forward to this game to be honest. Our confidence is high and i feel it will take a hit in this game.
City can open most teams up like a can of beens at times.
Hoping for a 2-2 draw because i think we need to score at least 2 to stay with them.
Not sure we can afford the luxury of Carrol, Antonio and feggo as offensive players in that game. Their Mid would run rings around Noble, Obiang and Lanzini so if we sacrifice feggo for Fernandes and play Antonio up with Carrol we might scrap a result.
Not a positive post :)

....................Randy...............................

..Byram......Fonte......Reid.........Cress

.......Noble......Obiang....Fernandes..
.................Lanzini..................
.............Carroll.....Antonio..

Looking forward to set pieces with the addition of Fonte, alongside Carrol ,Antonio and Reid
3 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

JayK

Postby JayK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Wigan address :i am genuinely amused: love it

City are shit at the back. I agree we need to get right in their faces. If we sit back, they have the firepower to hurt. If we get at them, they'll struggle. I like ironsforever line up. Let's go with that
1 x
COYI!!!

HammerJammer

Postby HammerJammer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 pm

For once, I am prepared to share Taans' infectious optimism. We could get tonked again, but older supporters will know that we have always had a knack for delivering a suprising result under these circumstances, especially under the lights.
1 x
Click here and enter 1491 to block the TottenScum Troll

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:38 pm

IronsForever wrote:Very nice intro again Tans.
Not looking forward to this game to be honest. Our confidence is high and i feel it will take a hit in this game.
City can open most teams up like a can of beens at times.
Hoping for a 2-2 draw because i think we need to score at least 2 to stay with them.
Not sure we can afford the luxury of Carrol, Antonio and feggo as offensive players in that game. Their Mid would run rings around Noble, Obiang and Lanzini so if we sacrifice feggo for Fernandes and play Antonio up with Carrol we might scrap a result.
Not a positive post :)

....................Randy...............................

..Byram......Fonte......Reid.........Cress

.......Noble......Obiang....Fernandes..
.................Lanzini..................
.............Carroll.....Antonio..

Looking forward to set pieces with the addition of Fonte, alongside Carrol ,Antonio and Reid

I like this line up but someone is reading your post & thinking "They'll be exposed down the flanks" :i am genuinely amused:
1 x

H4L

Postby H4L » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Hiding behind the couch for this one! I am worried.
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Taansend wrote:Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Manchester City, Tottenham.

Apart from last year at least five of those teams have finished in the top seven spots every year since 2001/02. That was a run of 14 years.

Back in 02 only four of them made it as the top seven was gatecrashed by Newcastle (4th), Leeds (5th) & West Ham (7th).

I just realised that when we finished in the top seven it breaks up the Big Seven monopoly as we also did it last year as well as 2002.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:14 pm

Imo it will be suicide to play a back 4 against City. Byram and Cresswell aren't good enough defensively to play in that system against the better teams. But going forward, in a 3-5-1-1, they might possibly do a decent job of stifling Sterling and that Sane bloke who looked a real handful against Walker & Rose last Saturday.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Taansend wrote:Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Manchester City, Tottenham.

Our team that year was made up of names like Carrick, Cole, Defoe, Di Canio, Kanoute & Sinclair, among others.

In a weird quirk our home form & away form were exact mirror images of each other. We won 12, lost 3 & drew 4 games in East London and lost 12, won 3 & drew 4 games away from home.

Citeh had a good season too, finishing 10 points clear at the top of the Championship (although it wasn't called that then). Their star players were Pearce, Goater, Huckerby & Hurlock. How times have changed.

Anyway, back to today & Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Citeh, Utd & Everton make up the top seven spots & I doubt if they'll change come May.

In 79AD the Romans built a fort named Mancunium on a sandstone bluff near the confluence of the rivers Medlock and Irwell. Manchester continued it's existence as a small town for the next 1800 years until the rise of the Industrial Age brought about rapid growth. It is now part of the UK's 2nd largest urban area.

Amsterdam, (2007)
Aydın, Turkey
Bilwi, Nicaragua
Chemnitz, Germany (1983)
Córdoba, Spain
Leskovac, Serbia
Rehovot, Israel
Wuhan, China (1986)

I know I've mentioned this before but I once knew a transvestite from the Greater Manchester area. He had a Wigan address :D

Citeh's results have been patchy to say the least lately with only one league win in their last four (Burnley) & they got completely taken apart against Everton (4-0) although the week before that they spanked us 5 nil in an evening FA Cup match at our stadium (we're playing them on Wednesday evening next week).

In our last two games we've scored six goals and, while we haven't been playing brilliantly in those games, we are looking like a different team compared to before la merde a frappé le ventilateur. We look like we give a fuck now.

In fact the last time we scored six goals over two league games was back in April when we beat Watford 3-1 & West Brom 3-0 with Mark Noble scoring four of those goals.

Carroll is on fire & we have other players either returning from injury or finding their form just when we needed it most.

But is it enough to beat Man City? If they play to their best then we have little chance as they are fantastic on their day but if we can get the team starting well & the crowd playing a passionate part then a win isn't out of the question. We need to get on them early & don't give them room to breathe.

A win could see us leapfrog Stoke who are at home to Everton. A loss could see us drop to 13th.

We might see a few changes in the starting line up with Ogbonna being out for the season so we should see new signing Fonte coming straight in for him. Carroll & Noble also have small injuries but should be ok by next week. We may even see a Snodgrass or a Hogan in the squad that day - and maybe NOT a Feghouli or Calleri.

But I reckon we'll just see the one change with the team looking something like......

Randy
Lanzini
Carroll

I think we've turned a corner & we are going to see a fantastic team performance next week with Captain Mark Noble leading the team with a goal in a 3-1 win. Carroll & Antonio to get the other two.

whufc_crest

BEST INTRO TO A MATCH THREAD EVER! Love the mix of sport, statistics, history and geography all rolled into one. Whoever said EastEnders weren't a cultured bunch eh!

Am shitting bricks for this one to be honest but then again.....we've always fought best with our backs to the wall; Rorke's Drift, Battle of Britain, Kohima, Brexit! So let's stick it up 'em!

Am a little worried about Noble though for this one. Feel like he won't be able to keep up with the pace of this game.

What about keeping IronsForever's lineup but instead swapping Nobes for Feghouli? Hope Slav brings on Martinez or Quina for this one.
1 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Nibbles wrote:

Amsterdam, (2007)
Aydın, Turkey
Bilwi, Nicaragua
Chemnitz, Germany (1983)
Córdoba, Spain
Leskovac, Serbia
Rehovot, Israel
Wuhan, China (1986)

Randy
Lanzini
Carroll

whufc_crest

BEST INTRO TO A MATCH THREAD EVER! Love the mix of sport, statistics, history and geography all rolled into one. Whoever said EastEnders weren't a cultured bunch eh!

They're not. I'm from Saaf East Laandahn :D
0 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”