West Ham v Manchester Citeh - Official Match Thread

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
Shortshanks

Re: West Ham v Manchester Citeh - Official Match Thread

Postby Shortshanks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:19 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Shortshanks wrote:
IronsForever wrote:
Maybe they stuck 1 up and overloaded the mid. We set up twice against these with 3 offensive players in Antonio,, Feggo and Carrol and it never worked. That leaves Lanzini who you want to play more up and create and Obiang and Noble in the center. Its not strong enough against a team that has players with pace and skill .
They pull you wide and split you open. We could have played Antonio up, dropped Carrol , overloaded the mid and lost 2 -0 also:)

I don't think have anyone as slow in their midfields

I agree shanks but city pass it so slick between the lines with one touch control and that can make you look slow. I also think the wider pitch favors teams like City.

I don't think it's a case of making him look slow as being slow. On that basis every team makes him look slow and until he's is replaced with someone who can actually get hold of the ball and get some control in midfield we are going to keep having what was a woeful display and an embarrassment.
0 x

LeeWHU88

Postby LeeWHU88 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 pm

LeeWHU88 wrote:3-0 win. You heard it here 1st. whufc_crest

Ahh only 1 goal out :i am genuinely amused:
0 x

gg

Postby gg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 pm

all you wanna see is some effort , city are better than us we all know that , dont just roll over though ffs...we all made the effort to get up there the least you wanna see is the effort repaid...gutless performance
1 x

Shortshanks

Postby Shortshanks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:27 pm

gg wrote:all you wanna see is some effort , city are better than us we all know that , dont just roll over though ffs...we all made the effort to get up there the least you wanna see is the effort repaid...gutless performance

Agree about effort but we aren't a non league side. They are very well paid and should be somewhere near the ability of the other side
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:31 pm

IronsForever wrote:So what happened when City put 4 past Barcelona? Come on guys that team are miles ahead of us. We are competing against the clubs outside the top 6 until the day comes when we spend big. We set up wrong tonight in my opinion but what difference would it have made. I said in the week playing 3 offensive up high would leave us exposed.
Like i said also earlier i saw the whole Squad( no idea why) at 2pm today walking in the claret tracksuit over the blue bridge on isle of dogs and only 1 played had a smile on his face Antonio. The guys never fancied that tonight after leaking 8 against them in 2 games . The twins are happy for us to be 10th every year and suck in the revenue. Thats how it is.

Yes they are miles ahead of us. They have better players in pretty much every position on the pitch. But to play 4-4-2 against a team who have a massive threat (Sterling & Sane) on both flanks was, imo, total suicide. Cresswell is decent going forward but defensively against the top players he isn't good enough and Byram was so out of his depth this evening I imagine he's still in the decompression chamber.

When you are playing against a better team with better players you have to compensate in other areas. We failed woefully to do that this evening. City were allowed to play the ball around with absolutely no one pressuring them. Had we played a back 3 and pushed Byram & Cresswell forward to put pressure on Sterling & Sane higher up the field we would possibly still have lost. But at least we would probably not have capitulated as feebly as we did.
1 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

Chicken Runner

Postby Chicken Runner » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 pm

You just have to hold your hands up with a game like this and recognize that the opposition were a cut above. We were totally and utterly outplayed. Unfortunately not a good initiation for Fonte and Snodgrass.
A reality check for our owners and anybody else that is under the illusion that we can break into the top six or anywhere near.
The top few teams are leaving the rest of us further and further behind.
We live to fight another day.
1 x

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:27 am

Whiskyman wrote:
IronsForever wrote:So what happened when City put 4 past Barcelona? Come on guys that team are miles ahead of us. We are competing against the clubs outside the top 6 until the day comes when we spend big. We set up wrong tonight in my opinion but what difference would it have made. I said in the week playing 3 offensive up high would leave us exposed.
Like i said also earlier i saw the whole Squad( no idea why) at 2pm today walking in the claret tracksuit over the blue bridge on isle of dogs and only 1 played had a smile on his face Antonio. The guys never fancied that tonight after leaking 8 against them in 2 games . The twins are happy for us to be 10th every year and suck in the revenue. Thats how it is.

Yes they are miles ahead of us. They have better players in pretty much every position on the pitch. But to play 4-4-2 against a team who have a massive threat (Sterling & Sane) on both flanks was, imo, total suicide. Cresswell is decent going forward but defensively against the top players he isn't good enough and Byram was so out of his depth this evening I imagine he's still in the decompression chamber.

When you are playing against a better team with better players you have to compensate in other areas. We failed woefully to do that this evening. City were allowed to play the ball around with absolutely no one pressuring them. Had we played a back 3 and pushed Byram & Cresswell forward to put pressure on Sterling & Sane higher up the field we would possibly still have lost. But at least we would probably not have capitulated as feebly as we did.

Totally agree and Feggo hasn't a clue defensively so that leaves 3 in the mid , including our most creative player on the ball , Lanzini. Noble and Obiang had no chance with that system! When we brought on snoddy it did strengthen us down the right but Sterlin and Jesus or whatever his name is had too much pace for Byram and Cress
They stretch you both sides , and with De Buryne and Silva linking through the Mid with Tore at the helm its real tough,
even with 5 in midfield it would have been difficult because then we have no outlets.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

JayK

Re: LIVE review at full time

Postby JayK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:27 am

Cheers fellas. I missed tonight's game but good review. Just seen clips of the goals and omg fuckin Cresswell. The point you make about him being kidnapped at the England camp could be said about Antonio coz he wasn't at the races after going away with England and also Adrian's form dipped after his call up. Very strange.
What I did like about the review was Toms sudden realisation he done a Jesus joke :i am genuinely amused:

Southampton are hit with injuries so we got a chance against them. Fingers crossed
0 x
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Postby BlackDiamond » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:34 am

Good review. It's strange how optimism can evaporate.

Next three games

Southampton A
West Brom H
Watford A

I would normally be confident of three wins, however somebody else is in charge...so I just don't know how things will pan out...

...and the Carroll mural outside the ground...looks terrible,take it down - garbage...
0 x

Athers-32

Postby Athers-32 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:44 am

JayK wrote:Cheers fellas. I missed tonight's game but good review. Just seen clips of the goals and omg fuckin Cresswell. The point you make about him being kidnapped at the England camp could be said about Antonio coz he wasn't at the races after going away with England and also Adrian's form dipped after his call up. Very strange.
What I did like about the review was Toms sudden realisation he done a Jesus joke :i am genuinely amused:

Southampton are hit with injuries so we got a chance against them. Fingers crossed

What can I say mate, I'll always bring the comedy value at Hammers Chat ;)
1 x

Return to “Match Day Threads”