F1, 2019

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
mkhammer

Re: F1, 2019

Post by mkhammer » Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm
Noni wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 am
I cannot help feeling that Ferrari are dropping points like crazy. Why put Charles on harder tyres ?. They've waisted too much time making a decision, where they could of easily been near the top.

IMO, Ferrari appear to be squabbling with their drivers then anything else, rather then fighting with other teams.
It seems like they're adopting these odd strategies for Leclerc to try and keep him from racing Vettel.
Like there's less of a sting to team orders when the drivers are on vastly different strategies.
Verstappen and Mercedes are profiting from it all.
Yeah they're def trying keep them apart....very obvious....think they want Vettel to edge away,
points wise so can push him as No 1...make it easier for like you say, team orders..

Least Ferrari are a bit more Public friendly now with Binotto in charge,thought that miserable dick
Arrivabene really screwed em up on the PR front not a nice bloke at all..

Ferrari always brought the fun and joy into F1...they were a miserable bunch of fucks under him..
1 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Mon May 13, 2019 6:35 pm

0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm
Noni wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 am
I cannot help feeling that Ferrari are dropping points like crazy. Why put Charles on harder tyres ?. They've waisted too much time making a decision, where they could of easily been near the top.

IMO, Ferrari appear to be squabbling with their drivers then anything else, rather then fighting with other teams.
It seems like they're adopting these odd strategies for Leclerc to try and keep him from racing Vettel.
Like there's less of a sting to team orders when the drivers are on vastly different strategies.
Verstappen and Mercedes are profiting from it all.
This is why I'm not a huge fan of Ferrari F1. Make great road cars but that's it.
0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Hope he lives a bit longer, sad story but very emotional... Well done to Mercedes in supporting the charity set up by his parents. I did hear after the race how Lewis was inspired by little Harry's support.
1 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue May 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Noni wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm
Gandalf wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Losing Barcelona off the calendar would be no great loss. It's a good circuit for testing with its mix of fast, medium and slow corners. But it's layout is not conducive to good racing, particular with the fast final corner leading onto the main straight.

So with that in mind why on earth would they go to Zandvoort? A tight, twisty, narrow circuit with an even faster corner onto the main straight. That circuit would not make good racing!!

On top of that, there is so much work to be done that I really can't see it being ready by 2020.

However, having said that I really hope I'm wrong - because I live about 40km from Zandvoort. :D
You could walk there!.... :lol:
So guess who was wrong! :D
And guess who was very happy to be wrong! :D

Guess where I will be next May.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48264078
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Reading some interesting articles about Mercedes performance at Barcelona.
This era of Mercedes domination was pretty much built on their engine. Over the last few years the Mercs have rarely had the best chassis on the grid, if only marginally. Red Bull, with their Adrian Newey designed cars, often being cited as the best around. But at various times McLaren and Ferrari might have edged the Mercedes too, but for that all conquering power unit.

What Barcelona has suggested is that Mercedes recruitment of James Allison might have switched all that on its head.
It's widely believed that Ferrari have the most powerful, if not useable, power unit on the grid. And that pretty much everyone else is only marginally adrift.

What's interesting is that Allison has bucked the trend for following in Newey's design philosophy footsteps. Mercedes are pretty much the only team opting for a low rake Chassis, with pretty much every other team copying Newey's high rake approach.

What all this suggests is that Ferrari might have made a huge mistake letting Allison go.
And that just maybe Allison, rather than Newey, should be where designers look for their inspiration.
Certainly it looks like Mercedes have turned what was once considered a weakness into a real strength.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:45 pm
Noni wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm

You could walk there!.... :lol:
So guess who was wrong! :D
And guess who was very happy to be wrong! :D

Guess where I will be next May.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48264078
Quite a bit of potential change next season.
We get Zandvoort and Vietnam. It's looking likely Silverstone and Monza will re-up, and whilst Spain is pretty much canned, we might lose Germany and Mexico too.
I liked the Hockenheim and the Nurburgring circuits.
I thought it was a shame when the ring got into financial trouble and had to drop out of alternating with Hockenheim, but it would be a real blow to lose both.
I have fantastic memories of the old Hockenheim circuit with those monster straights.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Thu May 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 pm
This era of Mercedes domination was pretty much built on their engine. Over the last few years the Mercs have rarely had the best chassis on the grid, if only marginally. Red Bull, with their Adrian Newey designed cars, often being cited as the best around. But at various times McLaren and Ferrari might have edged the Mercedes too, but for that all conquering power unit.

What Barcelona has suggested is that Mercedes recruitment of James Allison might have switched all that on its head.
It's widely believed that Ferrari have the most powerful, if not useable, power unit on the grid. And that pretty much everyone else is only marginally adrift.

What's interesting is that Allison has bucked the trend for following in Newey's design philosophy footsteps. Mercedes are pretty much the only team opting for a low rake Chassis, with pretty much every other team copying Newey's high rake approach.

What all this suggests is that Ferrari might have made a huge mistake letting Allison go.
And that just maybe Allison, rather than Newey, should be where designers look for their inspiration.
Certainly it looks like Mercedes have turned what was once considered a weakness into a real strength.
Agree with much of that.

Two points of contention though.

1. I wouldn’t accuse Ferrari of making a mistake letting Allison go. Allison’s wife died so he wanted to move back to England to be closer to his family. Certainly a great loss for Ferrari, but hardly their mistake.

2. Newey created winning concepts. Allison has taken an already winning concept and refined it. What he has done with the Mercedes chassis is certainly outstanding, but to be considered a truly great designer he would need to go to an underachieving team and take it to the top. Newey has done that three times now - with Williams, McLaren and Red Bull.
Remember Paddy Lowe, billed as the Savior to revive Williams’ fortunes. We all know how that ended out. I’m sure the time will come when Allison takes up an offer to try the same thing. It will be interesting to see how that works out.
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Thu May 16, 2019 5:27 pm

This is a good site for all things F1...

https://www.racefans.net/
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:15 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Agree with much of that.

Two points of contention though.

1. I wouldn’t accuse Ferrari of making a mistake letting Allison go. Allison’s wife died so he wanted to move back to England to be closer to his family. Certainly a great loss for Ferrari, but hardly their mistake.

2. Newey created winning concepts. Allison has taken an already winning concept and refined it. What he has done with the Mercedes chassis is certainly outstanding, but to be considered a truly great designer he would need to go to an underachieving team and take it to the top. Newey has done that three times now - with Williams, McLaren and Red Bull.
Remember Paddy Lowe, billed as the Savior to revive Williams’ fortunes. We all know how that ended out. I’m sure the time will come when Allison takes up an offer to try the same thing. It will be interesting to see how that works out.
No argument that Newey was/is a genius. It's just that as of now Allison seems to have the best chassis in F1.

There was definitely more to Allison leaving Ferrari than his wife. Apparently he wanted to spend more time with his family -- before his wife's illness -- and Ferrari weren't exactly bending over backwards to help.
Within 6 months of leaving Ferrari, Mercedes had signed him up.

Perhaps it is less of a mistake and just more bad luck for Ferrari, but they do seem to be inundated with poor choices and bad luck in recent times.
1 x

Social Media