F1, 2019

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Neville Bartos

Re: F1, 2019

Post by Neville Bartos » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:48 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 am
It's looking like a 22 race season next year.
With Vietnam and the Netherlands joining the calendar.
It had seemed like those two races would replace the German and Spanish GPS, but apparently the Catalan government have agreed to fund the Spanish GP for at least one more year. So as it stands only Hockenheim looks like disappearing. No home race for the silver arrows next season!
Personally I thought there were too many races already. I feel it just waters down the value of each.
For many years there were 16 races. And that I think was about right.
But as ever, money talks.

Having said that I don't mind if they add more races in the US. That will mean evening viewing for us. Still get your F1 without losing your Sunday! :D
I think more races is the price of balancing new money and tradition. I'd rather have 22 races with Monza, Spa and Silverstone than 16 races, but all based in the middle East and Asia.
I'd expect that Vietnam will drop off quickly like India and Turkey though.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:13 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:25 pm
Gandalf wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Personally I thought there were too many races already. I feel it just waters down the value of each.
For many years there were 16 races. And that I think was about right.
But as ever, money talks.

Having said that I don't mind if they add more races in the US. That will mean evening viewing for us. Still get your F1 without losing your Sunday! :D
I think more races is the price of balancing new money and tradition. I'd rather have 22 races with Monza, Spa and Silverstone than 16 races, but all based in the middle East and Asia.
True. Can't disagree with that.

Years ago the British GP would alternate between Silverstone and Brands Hatch. That set-up worked well. In Germany they did something similar.
I've long thought they could do something similar between neighbouring countries, or countries in the same region. Imaging having France one year, then Spain the next. Or imagine that scenario in the emerging countries. Maybe we wouldn't have lost India and Turkey so quickly.
Monaco would no doubt stay as as a yearly event. Maybe other traditional races too. But F1 could still go to all the places it wanted to go to just by spreading the events. We then wouldn't need these crazy double-headers we're getting. SEVEN of them next year! Azerbaijan twinned with and Canada. Singapore twinned with and Russia. Does that make sense to you? I think that's madness!
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 am

Gandalf wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:13 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Years ago the British GP would alternate between Silverstone and Brands Hatch. That set-up worked well. In Germany they did something similar.
I've long thought they could do something similar between neighbouring countries, or countries in the same region. Imaging having France one year, then Spain the next. Or imagine that scenario in the emerging countries. Maybe we wouldn't have lost India and Turkey so quickly.
Monaco would no doubt stay as as a yearly event. Maybe other traditional races too. But F1 could still go to all the places it wanted to go to just by spreading the events. We then wouldn't need these crazy double-headers we're getting. SEVEN of them next year! Azerbaijan twinned with and Canada. Singapore twinned with and Russia. Does that make sense to you? I think that's madness!
I think F1 would like a more linear journey through the season, but you'd imagine that money dictates the calendar for the most part. I expect places who struggle to finance their GP -- Monza, Hockenheim, Silverstone -- would be amenable to being shifted around for a bit of financial consideration. But I'm betting Singapore, Bahrain, China, Russia and Abu Dhabi pretty much get to pick their weekend. And that's all before you get to the logistics of street circuits and seasonal weather.
You're right though, it seems mad to me that Mexico, Canada and the US GPS wouldn't run consecutively.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Post by Noni » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 pm

Sad news in the F2 series!..... :(
Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert killed in Belgium crash!!!.............
0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 pm

So glad that Charles won this Grand Prix!... :)
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:57 am

Noni wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 pm
So glad that Charles won this Grand Prix!... :)
Yes mate...fitting as they were friends...he's a classy bloke Leclerc,and a great drive from him.
Sad weekend..
So sorry for Norris,is getting some shit luck...but a great prospect I reckon.
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 am
Gandalf wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:13 pm

I think F1 would like a more linear journey through the season, but you'd imagine that money dictates the calendar for the most part. I expect places who struggle to finance their GP -- Monza, Hockenheim, Silverstone -- would be amenable to being shifted around for a bit of financial consideration. But I'm betting Singapore, Bahrain, China, Russia and Abu Dhabi pretty much get to pick their weekend. And that's all before you get to the logistics of street circuits and seasonal weather.
You're right though, it seems mad to me that Mexico, Canada and the US GPS wouldn't run consecutively.
Well it’s not often I agree with Seb these days. But I guess that doesn’t stop him agreeing with me! :D

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2503 ... ce-seasons
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:12 am

Gandalf wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:29 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 am

Well it’s not often I agree with Seb these days. But I guess that doesn’t stop him agreeing with me! :D

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2503 ... ce-seasons
And now Zak Brown is agreeing with me too! :lol:

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/44819/mc ... eason.html
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:41 pm

I said at the start of the season that by the end Leclerc would have Vettel's number, and i think we've now reached that point.
Leclerc's win in Belgium came off the back of comprehensively outperforming his team mate.
So much so, that had Vettel been the lead Ferrari, Hamilton would have had his 9th win of the season.
With the end of Ferrari's title challenge we've seen that early season favouring of the German fade away. And it's been more and more Leclerc looking the faster and more competitive.
Its been him, rather than Vettel, looking like winning races, which begs the question, where does Vettel go from here?

There's little chance he'll want to play wingman for Leclerc.
A return to Red Bull would only be as a number 2 to Verstappen.
And I'm not sure he'd fancy facing off against Ricciardo again at Renault.
So, unless Vettel, like Kimi, just enjoys racing, it's hard to see where he goes from here. My guess is that short of a big new team joining the grid, or the competitive revival of an established team such as Williams, Vettel's days in F1 are very much numbered.
2 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 am

Anybody still doubting the value of the halo?

0 x

Social Media