F1, 2019

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Neville Bartos

Re: F1, 2019

Post by Neville Bartos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Well, a record fourth consecutive one two for the Mercs.
And more mistakes from Ferrari on a track where they looked fastest.
Bottas is holding up well against Hamilton, but then again Hamilton usually starts slowly and builds through the season. So I'd imagine he's pretty happy.
Vettel must be pulling his hair out. This was meant to be Ferrari's year. They were the coming force, and traditionally where last year was evenish this year they should have passed Mercedes, but if anything it looks like the new regulations have them taking a step back. That said strategy still seems to be their Achilles heel. Running those mediums in quality 2 was either arrogance or overambitious.
After 4 races it'd be a brave man to bet against Mercedes doing a sixth double.
Boring race though. :D
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Bottas is holding up well against Hamilton, but then again Hamilton usually starts slowly and builds through the season. So I'd imagine he's pretty happy.
Vettel must be pulling his hair out. This was meant to be Ferrari's year. They were the coming force, and traditionally where last year was evenish this year they should have passed Mercedes, but if anything it looks like the new regulations have them taking a step back. That said strategy still seems to be their Achilles heel. Running those mediums in quality 2 was either arrogance or overambitious.
Mercedes are a well-oiled machine right now. Even without the best car they're still getting the results.
My only concern is, what happens if Ferrari do get their act together. Hamilton and Bottas are busy taking points off each other. If Ferrari sort their tactics out, then focus on one driver (as they've done historically) then these early races could come back to haunt Mercedes. Although knowing Ferrari's abilities in running their team lately they will back the wrong driver! :D

As for Ferrari running the Mediums in Q2, only Leclerc was on them. And he crashed while he was on them, which is why he had to start on them.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:18 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Mercedes are a well-oiled machine right now. Even without the best car they're still getting the results.
My only concern is, what happens if Ferrari do get their act together. Hamilton and Bottas are busy taking points off each other. If Ferrari sort their tactics out, then focus on one driver (as they've done historically) then these early races could come back to haunt Mercedes. Although knowing Ferrari's abilities in running their team lately they will back the wrong driver! :D

As for Ferrari running the Mediums in Q2, only Leclerc was on them. And he crashed while he was on them, which is why he had to start on them.
Some might say Ferrari have already backed the wrong horse, mate.
Where Ferrari have looked quickest it's been Leclerc rather than Vettel setting the pace.
I think Merc have the right idea. Letting their drivers race has stopped them getting in the same pickle Ferrari are in. Ferraris tactics seem to be letting Verstappen split them every race.
Hard to bet against Hamilton even with Bottas going well, he always seem to excel in the middle of the season.
And from what I've been reading (the BBCs secret aerodynamicist) Ferrari might only be competitive at high speed tracks with low speed corners, which gives Mercedes with their more well rounded car, a massive advantage. I do recommend that secret aerodynamicist column it's fascinating stuff.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 1/47527705
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Post by Noni » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Have not watched the race yet! :( Will do later!!! ;)

Who Won!!! :lol:
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 am

Think if Ham had really wanted that...in a straight race for title he would have got Bottas,and
won,but no way is he gonna go 100% wheel to wheel at the moment,later in season
he will if he has to..

Ferrari..seems to me they Want/Need Vettel to start edging in front of LeClerc so he becomes
NO 1 Driver..tactics cost them a 3-4 yesterday...LeClerc was a second quicker than anyone at the end.

Norris was impressive,Mclaren picking the pace up a bit,unlike Williams still 3/4 seconds off
of it.
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:16 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 am
Think if Ham had really wanted that...in a straight race for title he would have got Bottas,and
he will if he has to..

Ferrari..seems to me they Want/Need Vettel to start edging in front of LeClerc so he becomes
NO 1 Driver..tactics cost them a 3-4 yesterday...LeClerc was a second quicker than anyone at the end.

Norris was impressive,Mclaren picking the pace up a bit,unlike Williams still 3/4 seconds off
of it.
I agree with your comment about Hamilton, but not about Leclerc.

I think Hamilton was playing the long game yesterday, which includes keeping the harmony sweet within the team. He doesn't want a return to the Rosberg scenario - and also he doesn't fear Bottas. You could see in his demeanour after the race - he was happy enough. And at some stage in the future he may need a wingman again.
And remember, Ocon is waiting in the wings, and he may provide a tougher challenge than Bottas.

As for Leclerc, I don't see how he could have got a better result than he did. He was basically doing the same tyre stints as the frontrunners, only in reverse. He made his way up to fifth, but he was never going to catch Max. It was only because he had a free pitstop window behind that they brought him in for a set of softs to go for the fastest lap.
My biggest surprise, and disappointment, was that Max didn't do the same on the following lap - because he then also had that window.
Watching Leclerc and Verstappen trade fastest laps would have made an interesting end to was not a classic race.
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:58 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:16 pm
mkhammer wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 am
he will if he has to..

of it.
I agree with your comment about Hamilton, but not about Leclerc.

I think Hamilton was playing the long game yesterday, which includes keeping the harmony sweet within the team. He doesn't want a return to the Rosberg scenario - and also he doesn't fear Bottas. You could see in his demeanour after the race - he was happy enough. And at some stage in the future he may need a wingman again.
And remember, Ocon is waiting in the wings, and he may provide a tougher challenge than Bottas.

As for Leclerc, I don't see how he could have got a better result than he did. He was basically doing the same tyre stints as the frontrunners, only in reverse. He made his way up to fifth, but he was never going to catch Max. It was only because he had a free pitstop window behind that they brought him in for a set of softs to go for the fastest lap.
My biggest surprise, and disappointment, was that Max didn't do the same on the following lap - because he then also had that window.
Watching Leclerc and Verstappen trade fastest laps would have made an interesting end to was not a classic race.
Just thought they kept him out a bit to long G,seemed to be losing time for to long,might as
well have brought him in,even if it meant a 3 stopper,which they did anyway,without
losing a place,evidently he asked if any chance of catching front 4 after he pitted,they said no,
save your tyres and go for the Fast Point at the end,seems like was a deliberate strategy for him,
prob cos of what you said having a reverse race tyre wise...
I just feel maybe it suits Ferrari to have a No 1 driver,and they would Def Prefer if that was
Vettel.....who says F1 is Boring now with Mercedes Dominating....wasn't saying that when
Red Bull were pissing all over everyone was he...

Agree was a dull one, gotta be honest quite happy watching just the Highlights at times now.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Just reading that Zandvoort is on the cards to replace Barcelona as of 2020.
I must admit I've never liked the Barcelona circuit, and whilst Zandvoort isn't a favourite either it will be good to see a classic circuit returning.

A couple of interesting facts about Zandvoort.
It has a turn named Tarzan (1).
Jim Clark has the most wins with 4.
Roger Williamson famously died at the track during the 1973 Dutch GP.
Of the 34 Grand Prix held at the track Ferrari have won 9.
1 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Wed May 01, 2019 7:21 pm

Aryton Senna was killed in a race at San Marino 25 years ago today,Roland Ratzenberger,was
killed in Quali the previous day....
Would Love a go in one of those things.....but not against him...fearless..Funny cos he was
quite big on the safety side of things..
Stood next to him once at Silverstone...the Guy had such an aura/charisma bout him..amazing..

This is the Car McLaren built and named after him........WOW....pretty fitting...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 404%29.jpg
2 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Fri May 03, 2019 11:01 am

Hearing all reports, if Mercedes win the next Grand Prix?, then the title is between the Mercedes drivers. Leclerc will win a few IMO this year. Even outscore Vettel. Bottas has a lot of weak tracks ahead of him which Hamilton is at his best. Also, Bottas slacks off later in the season half way into it. as Hamilton excels in most cases.

The rivalry between Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc at Ferrari has unsettled the German driver and is having an adverse effect on the Scuderia's performance.

Leclerc, Maranello's new recruit has outpaced his four-time world champion team mate on several occasions although Ferrari has yet to defeat this season its dominant Mercedes opponent.

The inner team competition has disrupted the Scuderia and is weighning on its results by supporting Vettel.

This leads me to conclude, that IMO, Hamilton is favourite to win, unless Ferrari pick up the pace for the WDC?
1 x

Social Media