F1, 2019

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Gandalf

Re: F1, 2019

Post by Gandalf » Sat May 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 pm
Just reading that Zandvoort is on the cards to replace Barcelona as of 2020.
I must admit I've never liked the Barcelona circuit, and whilst Zandvoort isn't a favourite either it will be good to see a classic circuit returning.

A couple of interesting facts about Zandvoort.
It has a turn named Tarzan (1).
Jim Clark has the most wins with 4.
Roger Williamson famously died at the track during the 1973 Dutch GP.
Of the 34 Grand Prix held at the track Ferrari have won 9.

Losing Barcelona off the calendar would be no great loss. It's a good circuit for testing with its mix of fast, medium and slow corners. But it's layout is not conducive to good racing, particular with the fast final corner leading onto the main straight.

So with that in mind why on earth would they go to Zandvoort? A tight, twisty, narrow circuit with an even faster corner onto the main straight. That circuit would not make good racing!!

On top of that, there is so much work to be done that I really can't see it being ready by 2020.

However, having said that I really hope I'm wrong - because I live about 40km from Zandvoort. :D
1 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:17 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 pm
Just reading that Zandvoort is on the cards to replace Barcelona as of 2020.
I must admit I've never liked the Barcelona circuit, and whilst Zandvoort isn't a favourite either it will be good to see a classic circuit returning.

A couple of interesting facts about Zandvoort.
It has a turn named Tarzan (1).
Jim Clark has the most wins with 4.
Roger Williamson famously died at the track during the 1973 Dutch GP.
Of the 34 Grand Prix held at the track Ferrari have won 9.

Losing Barcelona off the calendar would be no great loss. It's a good circuit for testing with its mix of fast, medium and slow corners. But it's layout is not conducive to good racing, particular with the fast final corner leading onto the main straight.

So with that in mind why on earth would they go to Zandvoort? A tight, twisty, narrow circuit with an even faster corner onto the main straight. That circuit would not make good racing!!

On top of that, there is so much work to be done that I really can't see it being ready by 2020.

However, having said that I really hope I'm wrong - because I live about 40km from Zandvoort. :D
You could walk there!.... :lol:
1 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Bottas needs a really good season at the start, if he remains with Mercedes next year. Unlike Hamilton, where he has multi year deals, Bottas can only sign for one year at a time.

Personally I like Bottas. Being a Fin, he's so calm and likeable. Better suited for Hamilton as a team mate.

I'm also a fan of Ocon too and hope he gets a seat next year. Maybe if Vettel does badly this year, he is dropped and move to Ferrari or Red Bull could be interested if Gasly does not pay off.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sat May 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Had to laugh at qualifying. All week I've been reading Ferrari were bringing serious upgrades, including even more power for their engine, to Spain.
Ferrari nailed it in Spain in pre-season, so with all these upgrades they were going to monster the Mercs.
Bottas, on pole, was almost a second quicker than the best Ferrari. :lol:
So, five races in I think we can safely say it's Hamilton Vs Bottas for the title.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Post by Noni » Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Hamilton put the gauntlet down, beating his team mate right from the start. Hamilton controlled the race right from the start. Another poor performance from Ferrari, allowing Verstappen to pass Vettel. Glad Ferrari bought all these upgrades with them. :lol:

Mercedes and Mercedes driving teams are the only ones who have not brought upgrades with them.

Another 1 & 2 for Mercedes, that's the 5th in a row now!....
1 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sun May 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Noni wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm
Hamilton put the gauntlet down, beating his team mate right from the start. Hamilton controlled the race right from the start. Another poor performance from Ferrari, allowing Verstappen to pass Vettel. Glad Ferrari bought all these upgrades with them. :lol:

Mercedes and Mercedes driving teams are the only ones who have not brought upgrades with them.

Another 1 & 2 for Mercedes, that's the 5th in a row now!....
It's been a horrific start to the season for Ferrari. All the talk in testing was that Ferrari were 0.5 of a second quicker than everyone else. Here we are 5 races in and if anything Ferrari look to have taken a step back from last season.
Not only can't they catch the Mercedes they're being outscored by Verstappen in a slower car.
It looks like the rules changes have come along at the wrong time for Ferrari. I think if we'd seen no significant changes Mercedes may well have been playing second fiddle. Instead it looks like the Silver Arrows have judged the new rules perfectly. And whilst Ferrari now appear to have the stronger engine, it's wasted on a chassis that just can't match the Mercedes.

All that said, another race that contained no pointy action outside the first 35 seconds.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Post by Noni » Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 pm

0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 am

I cannot help feeling that Ferrari are dropping points like crazy. Why put Charles on harder tyres ?. They've waisted too much time making a decision, where they could of easily been near the top.

IMO, Ferrari appear to be squabbling with their drivers then anything else, rather then fighting with other teams.
0 x

grandad

Post by grandad » Mon May 13, 2019 5:59 am

That door looked nice I painted and watched dry 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Sorry just don’t get motor racing
0 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Noni wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 am
I cannot help feeling that Ferrari are dropping points like crazy. Why put Charles on harder tyres ?. They've waisted too much time making a decision, where they could of easily been near the top.

IMO, Ferrari appear to be squabbling with their drivers then anything else, rather then fighting with other teams.
It seems like they're adopting these odd strategies for Leclerc to try and keep him from racing Vettel.
Like there's less of a sting to team orders when the drivers are on vastly different strategies.
Verstappen and Mercedes are profiting from it all.
1 x

Social Media