News Today

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: News Today

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:54 am

In itself the comment by Jo Brand shouldn't have received the outrage it did.

Personally I think she's a washed-up old haridan about as funny as prostate cancer, but she is, loosely, a comedian. And offensive stuff is what they do at times.

What rankles me is that had it been a right-wing comic, not that I can think of one, who'd made a similar gag about Jeremy Corbyn, not only would the BBC have sacked them on the spot, but they'd have involved the police.

And this week a BBC debate with the 5 remaining Tory candidates was infiltrated by an SNP supporting teenager, a labour activist and a Israel-hating, pro-Corbyn Imam who says that rape victims are asking for it.

The BBC have said their research didn't raise any red flags.

Yeah, right.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:42 pm

But everyone, especially a sensationalist media, has caught this snowflakism now.
I'm sick and tired of the faux outrage, the contrived offence, the trial by social media, the lack of self awareness, the flame fanning in pursuit of a story by the mainstream media, and worst of all this pervading thirst for a witch hunt.
The glee with which people try to ruin careers, reputations and lives, based on the most flimsy of things is truly worrying.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 am

TV writer Daisy Goodwin wants re-runs of Dad's Army banned as it's influencing the public's view of the EU regarding Brexit.

Heard it all now.

:lol:
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 am
TV writer Daisy Goodwin wants re-runs of Dad's Army banned as it's influencing the public's view of the EU regarding Brexit.

Heard it all now.

Blimey the woman is 57...did she miss the Top Gear years...
0 x

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:52 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 am

Heard it all now.

Should be executed by the Gestapo.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:38 am

Just reading about a rise in 'hate crime', although I think I figured out the why when I read the definition.

A hate crime is defined as "any criminal offence which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice" based on one of five categories: religion, faith or belief; race, ethnicity or nationality; sexual orientation; disability; or gender identity.

If you insult or, or even just swear at someone and they, or someone else, infers some kind of bias based on the categories in the definition, that automatically becomes a hate crime.
It's like something out of 1984.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:38 am
Just reading about a rise in 'hate crime', although I think I figured out the why when I read the definition.

A hate crime is defined as "any criminal offence which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice" based on one of five categories: religion, faith or belief; race, ethnicity or nationality; sexual orientation; disability; or gender identity.

If you insult or, or even just swear at someone and they, or someone else, infers some kind of bias based on the categories in the definition, that automatically becomes a hate crime.

Yes mate...practically every misdemeanor, altercation,,simple disagreement ...seems to be able
to be judged as bordering on a hate crime these days.....fuckin ridiculous..

Crazy thing is,I reckon there's actually IMO less of it around these days than previously,but
it's the "In Thing" to use now in any argument,to get the upper hand..
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:

How long has this "hate crime" offence been on the statute book. I think it's fairly recent. If so it's fucking obvious why reported "hate crimes" are rising because in the past this type of "crime" didn't exist.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:25 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:

How long has this "hate crime" offence been on the statute book. I think it's fairly recent. If so it's fucking obvious why reported "hate crimes" are rising because in the past this type of "crime" didn't exist.
Since 98 as part of other acts, but recently the variety of what's considered a hate crime has ballooned. Attacks (physical, verbal or online) on alternative culture groups, such as goths, Spurs fans, etc. are now recorded as hate crime.
The thing is these figures are 'reported instances of hate crime', as opposed to instances of convictions for hate crime.
Any massive increase is, in my humble opinion, down to snowflake/victim culture and the proliferation of social media.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:47 pm

I was listening to the news this morning and it seems like that upcoming legislation could include making employers liable for third party sexual harassment at work.
From what I understand is that if you own a business and a delivery driver comes in and harasses your receptionist, you are held accountable, you are liable. Absolutely blows my mind. How the fuck are you meant to police that?
I tell you now I'd discriminate who I employed on the basis of that legislation alone.
0 x

Social Media