Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
User avatar
Neville Bartos
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:29 am
Location: Flyyyyyyyyyin'
x 245
x 288

Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by Neville Bartos » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 am

Reading this article in the Independent (not even the Guardian you'll note) I do wonder.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/co ... 1.html?amp

Oddly enough I've seen all the shows this article specifically mentions.
And I find it depressing that context is always completely removed from this kind of criticism.
No-one, that I recall, had any issue with Louis CKs material before it was revealed that he exposed himself to women.
So is it the man or the material that's offensive?

And is Gervais' routine 'overtly transphobic'? Or is he making fun of the vastly wealthy and privileged, Caitlyn Jenner?

And whilst I can't remember the specifics of Chappelle's specials I don't recall anything bigoted -- and being a lefty, you'd think I would.

As for virtue signalling female comedians?
I've seen Sofie Hagen and she is pretty funny, but at the same time I've seen her make reference to certain real people being involved in paedophilia. Of course the person she references is a white man, so that's fine.
Now I didn't find it remotely offensive, but taken out of context it could easily be made to look that way.

And that's the problem with people like Liam Evans, he's desperate to be offended. Desperate to virtue signal his own brand of undoubtedly turgid 'comedy' into theatres and onto screens.

And my dog, if Hannah Gadsby is the future of comedy, you can stick a fork in me right now.
I don't find being preached at for 60 minutes remotely entertaining.
Being told that I must do better because some bloke smacked her for coming on to his girlfriend -- my only thought on that routine was this equality stuff sucks shit sometimes, doesn't it?.
I'd encourage anyone to watch her Nanette show. I didn't find it funny, or a masterpiece.
It's mainly that thing people do now, of taking their own issues and problems and extending the blame out to include all heterosexual white men. 'Someone raped me, and it's YOUR fault'. Ha fucking ha, hilarious, brave, groundbreaking. Fuck off.

I was no fan of Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson, or their brand of comedy, but between that and Liam Evans' fascist, sanitised, SJW, everyone's a victim and everything is hate speech bullshit, I'll be queueing up for Jim and Chalky all day long.

End of rant.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

User avatar
kingclyde
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 am
x 21
x 33

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by kingclyde » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:36 am

No.
0 x

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Somerset
x 121
x 332

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 am

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about but it sounds damned saucy.

Woof woof !
1 x
Determined to take us to the next level.

User avatar
kingclyde
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 am
x 21
x 33

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by kingclyde » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:44 am

In my humble opinion, a pluralistic system of speech and ideals notwithstanding, it is beholden on each strata of society, in any human activity or interaction, where such strata exist, to exercise discretion and restraint in the means by which the communication of personally held philosophies or standpoints, regardless of their veracity, such that any position deemed as extreme – or at least capable of being deemed so to be – should be maintained solely with the optimum degree of consideration for those not occupying a similar philosophical standpoint, in that any solipsistic ethical notion, whether this seeks to claim representation of the wider majority or a narrowly-defined, or simply a marginal sector of the entirety, should never be utilised such that a sub-set of the wider societal diaspora is placed in a position from which they find the notion of insult or demeaning language or behaviour difficult to either support or allow to co-exist as an idea within the spectrum of what could be considered as acceptable in a mutually co-operative whole.

Ner ner ner ner ner. :D
0 x

User avatar
Mikeveep
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: Trendy Walthamstow
x 29
x 88

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by Mikeveep » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 am

"Froggy bats away a brave effort to relieve him of his Master of Loquaciousness soubriquet "
1 x

User avatar
kingclyde
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 am
x 21
x 33

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by kingclyde » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 am

Mikeveep wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 am
"Froggy bats away a brave effort to relieve him of his Master of Loquaciousness soubriquet "
:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

User avatar
jameskel
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 11:22 pm
x 59

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by jameskel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:42 pm

kingclyde wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:36 am
No.
One of your kids has logged in
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

User avatar
kingclyde
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 am
x 21
x 33

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by kingclyde » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:11 pm

jameskel wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:42 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:36 am
No.
One of your kids has logged in
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a kind of Keyboard Tourettes I suffer from, whereby occasionally I suddenly and inexplicably answer with a single word or phrase. I hope it didn't upset anyone. It's an illness.
0 x

User avatar
Pennywise
Posts: 2085
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 am
x 1
x 61

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by Pennywise » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 am
Reading this article in the Independent (not even the Guardian you'll note) I do wonder.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/co ... 1.html?amp

Oddly enough I've seen all the shows this article specifically mentions.
And I find it depressing that context is always completely removed from this kind of criticism.
No-one, that I recall, had any issue with Louis CKs material before it was revealed that he exposed himself to women.
So is it the man or the material that's offensive?

And is Gervais' routine 'overtly transphobic'? Or is he making fun of the vastly wealthy and privileged, Caitlyn Jenner?

And whilst I can't remember the specifics of Chappelle's specials I don't recall anything bigoted -- and being a lefty, you'd think I would.

As for virtue signalling female comedians?
I've seen Sofie Hagen and she is pretty funny, but at the same time I've seen her make reference to certain real people being involved in paedophilia. Of course the person she references is a white man, so that's fine.
Now I didn't find it remotely offensive, but taken out of context it could easily be made to look that way.

And that's the problem with people like Liam Evans, he's desperate to be offended. Desperate to virtue signal his own brand of undoubtedly turgid 'comedy' into theatres and onto screens.

And my dog, if Hannah Gadsby is the future of comedy, you can stick a fork in me right now.
I don't find being preached at for 60 minutes remotely entertaining.
Being told that I must do better because some bloke smacked her for coming on to his girlfriend -- my only thought on that routine was this equality stuff sucks shit sometimes, doesn't it?.
I'd encourage anyone to watch her Nanette show. I didn't find it funny, or a masterpiece.
It's mainly that thing people do now, of taking their own issues and problems and extending the blame out to include all heterosexual white men. 'Someone raped me, and it's YOUR fault'. Ha fucking ha, hilarious, brave, groundbreaking. Fuck off.

I was no fan of Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson, or their brand of comedy, but between that and Liam Evans' fascist, sanitised, SJW, everyone's a victim and everything is hate speech bullshit, I'll be queueing up for Jim and Chalky all day long.

End of rant.
I haven't read the article, but my answer to the question would be a resounding 'yes." We now live in a society where you can be successfully prosecuted and jailed for making a joke.

Only 5 years ago, we were openly chastising "fascist" states who were doing the same......I genuinely worry for my kids, Orwell's dystopian future is becoming more and more a reality.
0 x

User avatar
Pennywise
Posts: 2085
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 am
x 1
x 61

Re: Is ultra liberalism the new fascism?

Post by Pennywise » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:57 pm

jameskel wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:42 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:36 am
No.
One of your kids has logged in
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Post Reply

Social Media