Flairon

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Neville Bartos

Re: Flairon

Post by Neville Bartos » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:01 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:34 am
Neville Bartos wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 am

Firstly, agreed, Taans is definitely a cunt.

Now, I've scanned through that thread, and only one person suggests that racist language should not draw any kind of censure.
I see Taans arguing with Dicksies Diner and Newmarket, but I don't see anyone arguing that using the word n***er at an English football match is acceptable.
What am I missing?
The argument is really about do people have the right to be knowingly offensive without provocation. And I think they don't. Or rather that usually never ends the way it was intended. So save the later grief

I wouldn't advocate a ban on individual words, but some of them are so slippery that you better be damned careful how you arrange them when using. And rule of thumb - if nobody else uses them,perhaps try something else.

and what if you can't be bothered...I think people will realize that themselves
Yeah, but there's a difference between offensive and racist. Calling someone a cunt is clearly offensive, but isn't necessarily racist.
The main issues I could see in that thread were A) a confusion between the words n***er and n***a, and they are different. And B) the Idea that black American culture, where the use of that word is relatively common, crosses over to black British culture, which I don't think it does.

I'm not sure banning words is helpful. Words are not individually 'offensive', it's context and intent that matter.
Take the word slope. Not offensive at all, but used in the context of addressing an Asian person, combined with with the intent to insult, it is racist.
N***er is different in that pretty much its only use is racial, but even then the context in which I'm using it here isn't racist, nor is it my intent to be racist.
I will say it is a fucking horrible word though. And why black Americans would kind of want to take it back is beyond me.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Flairon

Re: Flairon

Post by Flairon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 am

I have only just seen this thread. Thank you kindly for all the good wishes. All is going well. I am even going to the gym these days. I am not entirely sure that all the bloody aches and pains are worth it mind. :lol:
1 x
Flairon

Social Media