Aren`t the BBC meant to be impartial?

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
kingclyde

Re: Aren`t the BBC meant to be impartial?

Post by kingclyde » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:39 am

How do you think YouTube will monetize their service? Netflix can commission unique programme content because it charges 120 quid a year to anyone who wants access. How many of the kids looking at YouTube would continue to do so if that cost 120 quid a year? Their business model supports user-generated content which is not broadcast quality in either content or technical respects. It may generate content for You've Been Framed but that as far as it goes.

They are a delivery platform. They don't create or commission unique programme content like Sky, BBC or, indeed Netflix. And with their current model its difficult to imagine how they could.

Just for the sake of argument I C&P that bit above - I get what you're saying but doesn't You Tube Premium kind of put the kibosh on the point you're trying to make?

They do indeed commission their own content and with the financial might they have behind them I can see them being quite easily able to dip their toes in to the world of streaming sports...Not just football, just about anything they decide to put their mind to in all honesty.

I'll admit You Tube Red or Premium, or whatever incarnation it's in now hasn't been wildly successful but it has shown that You Tube can easily diversify when it wants to. I'd guess it's only a matter of time before some bright spark in San Bruno suggests they have a pop at live sports and I'd suspect they wouldn't be afraid to throw a few billion dollars in to such a project.
Hello mate. As I said, its the wild west right now. But having the pockets to commission is one thing. Having the ability to monetize it is another. When Youtube deliver a StrangerThings or award level feature films, they may put themselves in the picture. But they then have to persuade millions of punters to subscribe to make ut pay. Which is easier to do from scratch than to convert from a previously free service. Nobody knows, so it is exciting times. But to announce the demise of big commissioners with immense libraries like the terrestrial channels have is, in my opinion, very premature.
0 x

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:51 pm

kingclyde wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Just for the sake of argument I C&P that bit above - I get what you're saying but doesn't You Tube Premium kind of put the kibosh on the point you're trying to make?

They do indeed commission their own content and with the financial might they have behind them I can see them being quite easily able to dip their toes in to the world of streaming sports...Not just football, just about anything they decide to put their mind to in all honesty.

I'll admit You Tube Red or Premium, or whatever incarnation it's in now hasn't been wildly successful but it has shown that You Tube can easily diversify when it wants to. I'd guess it's only a matter of time before some bright spark in San Bruno suggests they have a pop at live sports and I'd suspect they wouldn't be afraid to throw a few billion dollars in to such a project.
Hello mate. As I said, its the wild west right now. But having the pockets to commission is one thing. Having the ability to monetize it is another. When Youtube deliver a StrangerThings or award level feature films, they may put themselves in the picture. But they then have to persuade millions of punters to subscribe to make ut pay. Which is easier to do from scratch than to convert from a previously free service. Nobody knows, so it is exciting times. But to announce the demise of big commissioners with immense libraries like the terrestrial channels have is, in my opinion, very premature.

I think YT will stay as they are. As somebody said very recently . . . . The biggest accommodation provider in the world don't own property and the biggest taxi firm in the world don't own any cabs.

YouTube is the same. An acquaintance of mine hosts a camera review channel and earns £300k pa from adverts alone and YT take £100k pa from his channel and that is far from exceptional. Myself and Geo both know a couple of gaming Youtubers who clearly earn ten times that and google gets 30p for every £1 they make.

They get paid fortunes without having to own a camera (general terms of course) so I'd image they would stay as they are.
0 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:51 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm

I think YT will stay as they are. As somebody said very recently . . . . The biggest accommodation provider in the world don't own property and the biggest taxi firm in the world don't own any cabs.

YouTube is the same. An acquaintance of mine hosts a camera review channel and earns £300k pa from adverts alone and YT take £100k pa from his channel and that is far from exceptional. Myself and Geo both know a couple of gaming Youtubers who clearly earn ten times that and google gets 30p for every £1 they make.

They get paid fortunes without having to own a camera (general terms of course) so I'd image they would stay as they are.
Kind of my point mate. As I said before, YouTube are not (currently) a tv channel. They are a distribution platform. They are a cinema. Not a studio. They create nothing. They do not originate content (the tiny part of the business that is original content on Premium notwithstanding)They rely on free, user created content to generate ad revenue, then pay a portion of the ad revenue earned to the owner. The figures earned by a tiny number of blokes on youtube may be good money on a personal basis, but they are chicken feed when you are talking about having to generate more than 2 billion pounds a year to pay for prem rights alone. YouTube may be important for niche programming and owner-operators. It's a tiny little backwater in broadcast terms. The BBC et al create content, commission it from their own funds - take risks. If they disappear, then other content creators have to emerge or you have a lot of dead air. YouTube are not one of them.
1 x

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Apart from the fact the Blatantly Biased Cunts workforce are made up of an overwhelming majority of lefties and bremainiacs (the two generally go hand in hand)

" the BBC has received nearly €5million in funding from the European Union since 2015, The Daily Telegraph has learnt, prompting accusations from Brexiteers that the broadcaster risks a conflict of interests.

The EU has given the BBC €4.8million (£4.2million) under its Horizon 2020 programme, which provides grants for research and development. Nearly €1.5million is earmarked for ongoing projects involving the corporation."

https://www.quora.com/How-much-money-do ... rom-the-EU
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am

I'm sorry, but we're saying the BBC isn't being impartial for reporting the march?
Surely impartiality is reporting the news without editorialising it?
I watched the BBC news when it reported whatever the march in London was called and immediately afterwards it cut to Nigel Farage's Brexit march. One was attended by (reportedly) hundreds of thousands, the other by (reportedly) hundreds -- and bear in mind the BBC only reference to those reported attendences was to say 'less' people attended Farage's.
I'd call that bending over backwards to appear impartial.
Then of course we have the inordinate amount of time the likes of Farage, Johnson, and Rees Mogg are given on BBC TV.
And there were also revelations the BBC hired right wing audience member for their Question Time show.
And yet somehow the BBC are anti Brexit?
Do me a favour. It's that old chestnut of seeing something you don't like or support and calling foul on anyone daring to report it, whilst at the same time ignoring any biased reporting of the stuff you do like.

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-anal ... rexit-bias
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am
I'm sorry, but we're saying the BBC isn't being impartial for reporting the march?
I watched the BBC news when it reported whatever the march in London was called and immediately afterwards it cut to Nigel Farage's Brexit march. One was attended by (reportedly) hundreds of thousands, the other by (reportedly) hundreds -- and bear in mind the BBC only reference to those reported attendences was to say 'less' people attended Farage's.
Then of course we have the inordinate amount of time the likes of Farage, Johnson, and Rees Mogg are given on BBC TV.
And there were also revelations the BBC hired right wing audience member for their Question Time show.
Do me a favour. It's that old chestnut of seeing something you don't like or support and calling foul on anyone daring to report it, whilst at the same time ignoring any biased reporting of the stuff you do like.

I watched BBC Breakfast every morning,while reading their Ceefax..It`s a habit of mine while eating my breakfast.Has you probably know Neville,I do agree with a lot of your stuff..I am no lefty,but I cannot stand the tories and how they have destroyed this country with their policies.
So you know there will be no biased from me..I am still on the fence about the EU,but actually feel myself moving towards Brexit,though one thing is stopping me feeling more for them is the tories...Both the MEP's and our MP`s are just self serving and only want to be there because there is plenty of wonga in it for them.
Back to the subject..I do watch it every morning and I do notice the bias..They are very ethnic mate. Of course we live in a different world to what we did last century,but it seems the majority of time,the news is all about the rest of the world,which is fine,when topical.Anything not to do with current affairs is normally ethnical and about different cultures.I am not saying it is not interesting at times,but I just find it`s all about everyone else and not this country.It's the BBC saying,we are multi cultured and look how liberal we are.

Has for Question Time,you will find it`s the opposite to what you are saying mate..They fill the panel and audiences with lefties and liberals.Like I saiud,I hate the tories,so it`1s great when you get one of the audience making them looks like dicks :)
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am

I watched BBC Breakfast every morning,while reading their Ceefax..It`s a habit of mine while eating my breakfast.Has you probably know Neville,I do agree with a lot of your stuff..I am no lefty,but I cannot stand the tories and how they have destroyed this country with their policies.
So you know there will be no biased from me..I am still on the fence about the EU,but actually feel myself moving towards Brexit,though one thing is stopping me feeling more for them is the tories...Both the MEP's and our MP`s are just self serving and only want to be there because there is plenty of wonga in it for them.
Back to the subject..I do watch it every morning and I do notice the bias..They are very ethnic mate. Of course we live in a different world to what we did last century,but it seems the majority of time,the news is all about the rest of the world,which is fine,when topical.Anything not to do with current affairs is normally ethnical and about different cultures.I am not saying it is not interesting at times,but I just find it`s all about everyone else and not this country.It's the BBC saying,we are multi cultured and look how liberal we are.

Has for Question Time,you will find it`s the opposite to what you are saying mate..They fill the panel and audiences with lefties and liberals.Like I saiud,I hate the tories,so it`1s great when you get one of the audience making them looks like dicks :)
I agree with a lot of what you write, Terry.
I think too many politicians are more interested in their own advancement, enrichment and career prospects than they are in national interest, but what can you do? Rightly or wrongly the majority of the electorate pick a team and stick with them.
My old man has voted Labour in every election since 1968. If they put up Stalin as a candidate the silly old bugger would vote for him.
But in his mind the other lot are the enemy, and he won't be told, argued with, or convinced otherwise.

As you say, to the subject at hand.
Is there bias? Almost certainly. We all have our personal opinions, and try as we might, they do underscore the way we approach any subject.
I sometimes listen to radio 4 in the motor -- especially if it's too early for a bit of music. And since that cunt Piers Morgan is on ITV, it's either BBC Breakfast or King of Queens.
So I imbibe a reasonable level of BBC News, if not their other content.
I think the issue with the BBC isn't a Brexit bias -- see the link I posted -- it's part of what is now a cultural obsession with political, cultural and social sensitivities. No-one can be offended, or be seen to cause offence. Every minority needs to be represented and included, irrespective of all other factors. And worst of all, the BBC are guilty of constantly giving a platform to social justice narratives.
And whilst people might see that as leftist, I don't. I think it's something different, something more insidious than which way your sympathies lie.

The Question Time issue is that the BBC were actively looking to skew their audience.
If the audience is full of lefties, because only lefties actually wanted to be in the audience then fine.
But parachuting in righties to try and strike a balance? That smacks of forced parity, which to me suggests that the BBC are so desperate to show a lack of bias they'll quite happily go about remedying disparity in entirely the wrong way.

The BBC is fucked anyway. Paddy fucking McGuinness on Top Gear? Only the BBC could find a bigger cunt than Chris Evans to further ruin a once unmissable show.

Is Alan Partridge and Naga Munchetty's coquettish looks to camera really worth the licence fee? I have my doubts.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

grandad

Post by grandad » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 am

BBC = lefty cunts full of life’s weirdos.

Don’t pay the license fee is a start. They will do nothing if you do get a knock tell them to go away and close door.

If enough don’t pay they will crash and burn
0 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:22 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 pm
terrya1965 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm

I think too many politicians are more interested in their own advancement, enrichment and career prospects than they are in national interest, but what can you do? Rightly or wrongly the majority of the electorate pick a team and stick with them.
My old man has voted Labour in every election since 1968. If they put up Stalin as a candidate the silly old bugger would vote for him.
But in his mind the other lot are the enemy, and he won't be told, argued with, or convinced otherwise.

Is there bias? Almost certainly. We all have our personal opinions, and try as we might, they do underscore the way we approach any subject.
I sometimes listen to radio 4 in the motor -- especially if it's too early for a bit of music. And since that cunt Piers Morgan is on ITV, it's either BBC Breakfast or King of Queens.
I think the issue with the BBC isn't a Brexit bias -- see the link I posted -- it's part of what is now a cultural obsession with political, cultural and social sensitivities. No-one can be offended, or be seen to cause offence. Every minority needs to be represented and included, irrespective of all other factors. And worst of all, the BBC are guilty of constantly giving a platform to social justice narratives.
And whilst people might see that as leftist, I don't. I think it's something different, something more insidious than which way your sympathies lie.

The Question Time issue is that the BBC were actively looking to skew their audience.
If the audience is full of lefties, because only lefties actually wanted to be in the audience then fine.
But parachuting in righties to try and strike a balance? That smacks of forced parity, which to me suggests that the BBC are so desperate to show a lack of bias they'll quite happily go about remedying disparity in entirely the wrong way.

The BBC is fucked anyway. Paddy fucking McGuinness on Top Gear? Only the BBC could find a bigger cunt than Chris Evans to further ruin a once unmissable show.

Is Alan Partridge and Naga Munchetty's coquettish looks to camera really worth the licence fee? I have my doubts.

2 really good posts,agree totally...well mostly...am I allowed to being a Tory.... :lol:

Peirs Morgan...the most egotistical arrogant,self centred bloke imaginable...prob is i find myself
agreeing with so much he says...makes so much sense at times....think i have a problem... :lol:

Also don't think you should hate the opposition,blinkers you a bit,I disagree with the much of
the way the Labour party work,and the way they want to run the country,but always always listen,
and even agree with what some of their MPs say,we want the same thing,just different ways about
getting it,even now Hilary Benn,and Stephen Kinnock 2 of my favourite MPs,but their old men
were well meaning honest MPs....Disagreed with everything Wedgewood Benn,would say,but
loved listening to him,same with John Smith,a real decent honest lovely bloke,who passed away
way to soon.

So disagree but respect for me...
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:16 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:22 am
Neville Bartos wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 pm

2 really good posts,agree totally...well mostly...am I allowed to being a Tory.... :lol:

Peirs Morgan...the most egotistical arrogant,self centred bloke imaginable...prob is i find myself
agreeing with so much he says...makes so much sense at times....think i have a problem... :lol:

Also don't think you should hate the opposition,blinkers you a bit,I disagree with the much of
the way the Labour party work,and the way they want to run the country,but always always listen,
and even agree with what some of their MPs say,we want the same thing,just different ways about
getting it,even now Hilary Benn,and Stephen Kinnock 2 of my favourite MPs,but their old men
were well meaning honest MPs....Disagreed with everything Wedgewood Benn,would say,but
loved listening to him,same with John Smith,a real decent honest lovely bloke,who passed away
way to soon.

So disagree but respect for me...
Being a Tory doesn't quite make you a martyr or a leper, mate. :lol:

The problem, as you point out, isn't the stance Piers Morgan adopts. He ALWAYS opts for what he sees as the moral high ground -- what an irony.
It's that he clearly just wants the attention that comes with adopting populist opinions.

There's no subtlety, no genuine discussion, or back and forth. It's strikingly similar to when Bill O'Reilly would invite someone he didn't agree with on his Fox News show -- Brow beating, shouting over responses, and editorialised summations with no right to reply.

Mate, politics has gone the way of society. Instead of personal responsibility we have a culture of blame. What is popular is more important than what is right. And principles are conveniences to be traded.

Disagreeing with you doesn't stop me liking you, mate. You're a bid of a mad sod, but aren't we all? :D
1 x

Social Media