Ashes..

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Gonzo

Re: Ashes..

Post by Gonzo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Newmarket wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:57 pm

And worth remembering it was a proper test match that would have seen them go to world no1 if they'd have won.

I loved the flankers, Itoje is just ridiculous, Jonny May is the human version of a greyhound and fuck knows how the opposition feel about Tuilagi & Joe Cokawotsit running at them.

Penny Hill Park (The England training facility) is probably 3-4 miles away from my house. I've twice seen Joe Marler in our local Nandos when they have a game . . . . . the bloke is the size of a large door.
Wasn’t there a Grand Prix at the weekend ffs ? :x

Not mate, Spa is next weekend but the last GP was bloody brilliant which is a rarity.
0 x

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 pm

fuck the rugby & F1

Taken me a fucking day to get over the cricket. I went to bed last night, dreaming of the reverse sweep slog hoick, for six. Only to be woken by the low full toss six

I think, it's the finest sporting event I have ever sat through
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:08 am

jameskel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 pm
fuck the rugby & F1

Taken me a fucking day to get over the cricket. I went to bed last night, dreaming of the reverse sweep slog hoick, for six. Only to be woken by the low full toss six

I think, it's the finest sporting event I have ever sat through
Close, but the 2007 Somerton Hunt was a spectacular event as we sat in temporary stands in the town square when 37 foxes were dragged in and torn to shreds by the plucky hounds.

God, I love living in the country.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 am

Of course, nothing like a good fair contest (bleating foxes)
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Obvious changes needed for Old Trafford though.

Woakes is a spent force after all the work this Summer and the Aussies have sussed him out now with the bouncer so if Anderson gets through his warm-up game he replaces him. If he's still a risk then Sam Curran who's obviously a better bat.

Jos Buttler should get one final chance but Jason Roy won't be a test cricketer while he's got a hole in his arse. Ollie Pope to replace him, move Denly up to open. Not ideal but no-one else is close to doing the job other than Sir Alastair who won't budge on his retirement.

As for the convicts then the sandpaper-cunt comes back. The obvious choice to go is Paine who's a walking wicket with Wade taking the gloves but I doubt they'll ditch the skipper mid-series so Labuschagne may open.
0 x

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm

If the weather remains good, then Anderson cannot bother the Convicts.

I would give Stone a go, looks like the extra pace is bothering most batsmen.

Roy - cannot open, but I would consider dropping Bairstow, with Butler (better keeper) taking over. I would have Roy 6 butler 7. Denly to open, and fuck knows for the additional batsmen
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:32 pm

jameskel wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm
If the weather remains good, then Anderson cannot bother the Convicts.

I would give Stone a go, looks like the extra pace is bothering most batsmen.

Roy - cannot open, but I would consider dropping Bairstow, with Butler (better keeper) taking over. I would have Roy 6 butler 7. Denly to open, and fuck knows for the additional batsmen
I believe Stone's injured. The only other bowler with genuine pace playing now who isn't is Sam Cook of Essex but he's only 22 and not played many games. I doubt he'd be considered.

At least Jimmy knows the pitch but I take your point. It's a tough one.

Bairstow is the worse of the two with the gloves but he has a bit of batting form now. Buttler can't buy a run.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:35 pm

► Show Spoiler
palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Woakes is a spent force after all the work this Summer and the Aussies have sussed him out now with the bouncer so if Anderson gets through his warm-up game he replaces him. If he's still a risk then Sam Curran who's obviously a better bat.

Jos Buttler should get one final chance but Jason Roy won't be a test cricketer while he's got a hole in his arse. Ollie Pope to replace him, move Denly up to open. Not ideal but no-one else is close to doing the job other than Sir Alastair who won't budge on his retirement.

As for the convicts then the sandpaper-cunt comes back. The obvious choice to go is Paine who's a walking wicket with Wade taking the gloves but I doubt they'll ditch the skipper mid-series so Labuschagne may open.
I'd drop Denly, Roy and Buttler. All 3 have done precious little. I'd be tempted to open with Bairstow, give the gloves to Foakes and put Pope and Joe Clarke in at 4 and 5. In reality even if they all fail it wouldn't alter Englands batting form this series.

The bowling looks sorted, but without Anderson, Archer is being overworked. So hopefully he comes back and the conditions are there to suit.

Australia are in a better position with the batting. Paine, being captain is undroppable mid series, but with one cheating bastard to come back and another finding a wee bit of form, added to the South African, they look a lot more solid.
I think they'll swap out Pattinson for Starc and maybe include Marsh to give them an extra bowler.
The Pakistani dropped for the South African and Wade or Head out, Smith and Marsh in.

Burns
Bairstow
Root
Pope
Clarke
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Harris
Warner
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Marsh
Paine (wk)
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:35 pm
► Show Spoiler
palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:40 pm

I'd drop Denly, Roy and Buttler. All 3 have done precious little. I'd be tempted to open with Bairstow, give the gloves to Foakes and put Pope and Joe Clarke in at 4 and 5. In reality even if they all fail it wouldn't alter Englands batting form this series.

The bowling looks sorted, but without Anderson, Archer is being overworked. So hopefully he comes back and the conditions are there to suit.

Australia are in a better position with the batting. Paine, being captain is undroppable mid series, but with one cheating bastard to come back and another finding a wee bit of form, added to the South African, they look a lot more solid.
I think they'll swap out Pattinson for Starc and maybe include Marsh to give them an extra bowler.
The Pakistani dropped for the South African and Wade or Head out, Smith and Marsh in.

Burns
Bairstow
Root
Pope
Clarke
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Harris
Warner
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Marsh
Paine (wk)
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Clarke's hardly got a run this season. He was a big mate of that Worcestershire cricketer who was jailed for rape. He was partly to blame too being in the group that were involved and it's badly affected him.

Don't see Bairstow as an opener either. Stokes has a better technique. But as was said in the post-match summary, untried openers like Sibley and Browne who score plenty of runs for their counties face not much more than medium fast at that level.

Such a huge step-up.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:27 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:35 pm
► Show Spoiler

Burns
Bairstow
Root
Pope
Clarke
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Harris
Warner
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Marsh
Paine (wk)
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Clarke's hardly got a run this season. He was a big mate of that Worcestershire cricketer who was jailed for rape. He was partly to blame too being in the group that were involved and it's badly affected him.

Don't see Bairstow as an opener either. Stokes has a better technique. But as was said in the post-match summary, untried openers like Sibley and Browne who score plenty of runs for their counties face not much more than medium fast at that level.

Such a huge step-up.
I don't see Bairstow as an opener either, but A) a deck chair with a cricket bat would be better than Roy, and B) unless we want to risk Hameed -- who has one FC century in 2 years -- there's no-one who jumps out as a replacement.

Clarke has talent, despite his iffy form for Notts. It should also be pointed out that along with his failures in the test side Buttler is averaging 17 in the County Championship, which is worse than Clarke.

I'm happy to admit neither of those replacements is ideal, but Buttler and Roy are playing like number 11s. Buttler's current trot is 5, 1, 12, 31, 5, and 1. Which is two less than the 57 runs Jason Roy has contributed. That's 2 top order batsmen, 6 test matches, 12 innings, 112 runs. Denly has been like Bradman by comparison.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Social Media