Ashes..

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: Ashes..

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:47 pm
Oh and 'England name unchanged squad for final Test'.
It's a dead rubber so let's give the failures a chance to to play well enough so there's an excuse not to drop them. Disgraceful from the coach, captain and selectors. This looks more and more like jobs for the boys.
Have they really ?

As you say, disgraceful. Ed Smith needs the axe.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
It's a dead rubber so let's give the failures a chance to to play well enough so there's an excuse not to drop them. Disgraceful from the coach, captain and selectors. This looks more and more like jobs for the boys.
Have they really ?

England squad for fifth Test: Joe Root (capt), Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Have they really ?

England squad for fifth Test: Joe Root (capt), Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes.
:oops:
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
It's not a dead rubber though is it? There's a difference between winning the ashes and retaining them. Besides, they should be looking to avoid a test defeat for the first time at home since 2014 anyway.

It's Shameful that the non performers and bottlers are to get yet another chance at failure. Jason Roy for example, has never batted for two sessions in his entire first class career yet was deemed good enough to open the batting for England? JFC Get a grip! Denly's marginally better but still I have no confidence that our top order are going to stick around for any great length of time and bother the scorers much. :x

Bayliss has picked a good time to call it quits, admittedly he's not done a bad job but in all honesty the England test side are nowhere near as good as they seem to think they are - and the drop from topping the test rankings to 4th seems to prove that.
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:50 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
It's not a dead rubber though is it? There's a difference between winning the ashes and retaining them. Besides, they should be looking to avoid a test defeat for the first time at home since 2014 anyway.

It's Shameful that the non performers and bottlers are to get yet another chance at failure. Jason Roy for example, has never batted for two sessions in his entire first class career yet was deemed good enough to open the batting for England? JFC Get a grip! Denly's marginally better but still I have no confidence that our top order are going to stick around for any great length of time and bother the scorers much. :x

Bayliss has picked a good time to call it quits, admittedly he's not done a bad job but in all honesty the England test side are nowhere near as good as they seem to think they are - and the drop from topping the test rankings to 4th seems to prove that.
Yes I read that fact about Jason Roy this morning. Together with the fact that Denly hasn't opened for 2 years but is moved up the order to protect him. Unbelievable.

At least Denly showed a bit of spunk yesterday and deserves another chance, but even though it's his home ground, Roy should never play test cricket again until he learns how to play test cricket. Incidentally he's not been able to catch a fucking cold in the slips either.

I'm not slagging him off personally. I'm sure he buys his Mum flowers. But he's a product of Strauss's project to win the World Cup. Something we rejoiced about not too long ago. But it's a different game. The two aren't connected as different skill-sets are required.

I said earlier that chief selector Ed Smith should fall on his sword. And Bayliss's replacement is likely to be our bowling coach Chris Silverwood as foreign candidates are all on lucrative IPL contracts.

And apart from allegedly being the man who made the final decision on Jimmy Anderson at Edgbaston, a match in which at 122-8, Oz wouldn't have made 150 if there was another seamer to rest Broad and Woakes....and it's probable we'd now be 2-1 up not 2-1 down, the ECB want him to perform all three format roles. Which has contributed to this fucking shambles to begin with.

Don't they ever learn ?
1 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 pm

We've gotta factor Smith into all this...Blokes unreal,seems to know what the bowlers gonna do
before he does it...would def be going to Oval for a decider at very least if not for him..
Whatever he sanctioned against SA....have to admire him as a Batsman...as good as I've seen..

Not had the best of luck...Anderson breaking down in first..Losing Stokes as a bowler this one..
But No Excuses...poor selections and poor performances have done for us,end of the day..

After Sunday,didn't really care bout Oval...which really Pissed me off,but more I think about it,
we've gotta do some face saving,and don't let them appear to walk away with the Ashes easily,
at least get a drawn series by beating them there..

Assume they'll keep Stokes in as a Bat if can't bowl...so think I'd be tempted to give Curran a go at
expense of Buttler,or get Woakes back in,I like Woakes,but really interested see what Curran can do.
0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 am

Not a cricket fan, but respect the sport!.. ;)
0 x

grandad

Post by grandad » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 am

Noni wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 am

Noni did you say sport ? Did you mean pass time ? In the bracket of shovehapenny and bar billiards surely ? Now imagine the yank from Monaco playing bat and ball 😁😏👍
1 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

Noni

Post by Noni » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 am

grandad wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 am
Noni wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 am

Noni did you say sport ? Did you mean pass time ? In the bracket of shovehapenny and bar billiards surely ? Now imagine the yank from Monaco playing bat and ball 😁😏👍
:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:01 am

mkhammer wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 pm
We've gotta factor Smith into all this...Blokes unreal,seems to know what the bowlers gonna do
before he does it...would def be going to Oval for a decider at very least if not for him..
Whatever he sanctioned against SA....have to admire him as a Batsman...as good as I've seen..

Not had the best of luck...Anderson breaking down in first..Losing Stokes as a bowler this one..
But No Excuses...poor selections and poor performances have done for us,end of the day..

After Sunday,didn't really care bout Oval...which really Pissed me off,but more I think about it,
we've gotta do some face saving,and don't let them appear to walk away with the Ashes easily,
at least get a drawn series by beating them there..

Assume they'll keep Stokes in as a Bat if can't bowl...so think I'd be tempted to give Curran a go at
expense of Buttler,or get Woakes back in,I like Woakes,but really interested see what Curran can do.
Did he sanction it?
0 x

Social Media