Ashes..

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
BillyDWhizz

Re: Ashes..

Post by BillyDWhizz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:37 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:35 pm
2-2,but I do think the Aussies were the better team overall.

Steve Smith was outstanding for them,bit I think Anderson could have made the difference if he was fit.

Roll on the next one..
I'm not so sure really, take Smith out of the equation and England would have in all likelihood won the series. Their batting was just as sporadic and as poor as ours all things considered. If the 2nd test hadn't lost a day and a half to rain we'd all be celebrating an ashes series victory today.

Did a drawn series paper over a load of cracks for the English side? For sure, but it's exactly the same for the Australians, they've got serious problems of their own.

In all honesty it'll be the bowlers that decide the next series in two years time and I'm throwing my hat in the ring that our bowling line up will be better than theirs. No Anderson though as he'll be like 40!
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:41 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:35 pm
2-2,but I do think the Aussies were the better team overall.

Steve Smith was outstanding for them,bit I think Anderson could have made the difference if he was fit.

Roll on the next one..
You said it.... the Aussies were the better team overall..... because of Smith.
Nothing more.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:30 am

2-2 better than 1-3 but it's not a case of respecting the point is it ?

And while not wishing to piss on anyone's cornflakes after a decent win, there are more questions than answers.

Denly got his best ever test score. But was dropped on 0. A sitter as well. Bairstow has shown a huge drop in form, Leach, although finishing with 4 wickets was disappointing on a turning track. In fact I thought Root looked more dangerous.

But the most worrying is the back-up fast bowling. And Broad will be getting on by the time we go to Oz. Anderson will have retired by then.

Woakes is cannon-fodder out there. I'd not even pick him in the squad. Sam Curran too if there's no swing.

Bottom line...in 2 years we need about 6 players better than those we've got.

Good luck with that one.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 am

Yeah Smith was the difference....half his runs...we win the ashes back,I know you guys don't
like him,but fuck me he's a good batsman,I just have to Admire people at the top of their game..

Losing Anderson that first test was a game changer...for that test,and the series,says he's gonna
carry on,fair dues,prob best bowler we've ever had,but still gotta make Archer Our No 1 choice now,
just can't risk him breaking down in a test again,and we should be looking to the future now,
love him, but had his day....test wise anyway.
Assumed that maybe this series would be his Swansong anyway..
Then losing Stokes,as a bowler,made our back up bowling suffer,not sure he should have stayed in as
a batsman...if a shoulder injury prevents you bowling...can't see as it's gonna help you batting,
ok defensively,but hooks and pulls,cant be easy..but didn't affect the game so no prob..

Was thinking(hard for me.. :lol: )50 over one dayers have become glorified 20/20s,250/260 would get
you a win most times, now you need in excess of 300...maybe it's inevitable,test cricket might go
same way...cos looking at the Openers on both sides it's been bloody poor...ours especially,seem
to be caught between,playing one day style, or Test Style...end of the day,if you can hit 300
in 50 overs,with what should be tighter bowling....maybe the reasoning says,just go for it in a
Test match....not that I wanna see it,it would spoil the game....just thinking what might
eventually happen.

But Glad we nicked the Draw....prob a fair result on reflection...
1 x

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 am

Go Wadey!!!
He's a mate of my 2 young blokes. We've just done his driveway at his new house. Nice black concrete. Some toerag scratched 'RUFUSS' in foot long letters on the apron part between the road and his front gate. Builder tried to rub it out but it looks a mess. Wadey hasn't seen it yet so he's got a surprise coming.
0 x

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:04 am

tassiehammer wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 am
Go Wadey!!!
He's a mate of my 2 young blokes. We've just done his driveway at his new house. Nice black concrete. Some toerag scratched 'RUFUSS' in foot long letters on the apron part between the road and his front gate. Builder tried to rub it out but it looks a mess. Wadey hasn't seen it yet so he's got a surprise coming.
Did a landscaping trade with Council twenty years ago, and it would shit me no end when some fucker would completely destroy a day’s work.

A not so sharp mate of mine wrote his name in a footpath that I’d finished only an hour earlier. Proud of himself, he called his missus over a few hours later to gloat about his handiwork.

She rolled her eyes and said “that’s great Brain”.

Brian had spelt his name wrong...
2 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am

That win papering over the cracks is right.
We have bigger issues than the Aussies for certain.
Burns looks a serviceable opener, but, Denly included, there's no bugger to open with him.
The middle order is a shambles. Stokes should be batting at 6 or 7, not 3 or 4. For all his 'talent' Buttler bat's below the WK and all-rounder, that says it all for me. And whether it's the captaincy or the pressure Root looks bang ordinary at the moment.
The bright spot in the bowling is Archer. It looks like his pace, rather than reliance on swing, could make him a bit more effective than Broad and Anderson overseas. But beyond that you'd describe the bowling lineup as either ageing or ineffective.

Given how the summer played out you do wonder what the likes of Foakes and Pope need to do to be given a(nother) chance at test level. Though a better question might be, just how badly do some of Joe Roots mates need to play to be dropped?
England really do need to prioritise some talented youth, get them in the coaching setup, and stick with them.
And stop picking twenty 20 sloggers for tests. Some players can do both, England clearly need someone to point out the players that can't.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am

More scouts in the West Indies
2 x
Taans can fuck right off

Social Media