Thomas Cook

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
BillyDWhizz

Thomas Cook

Post by BillyDWhizz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:36 am

The worlds oldest travel firm has, as expected, gone bust. I for one am really saddened by this news. We've often used Thomas Cook for our holidays and we've never really had any problems bar a stinky toilet on a 10.5 hour flight to Cuba once. Indeed only 3 weeks ago we booked a trip to the Canary island of La Palma leaving this Thursday and it was only by chance that we eventually booked with TUI instead of TC.

I'll miss Thomas Cook and really feel for the people currently stuck in limbo. Not sure how much it's going to cost the Government to repatriate 150,000 people but you have to suspect it'll be more than the £200M that the publicly bailed out RBS insisted on to guarantee the Fosun deal. 9000 UK jobs down the Swanny as well.

Still, I'm sure there are some disaster capitalists somewhere right now rubbing their hands with glee. Fucking shameful really that yet another British institution is allowed to simply cease to exist.
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: Thomas Cook

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:01 pm

If anyone knows of a family that manage to get a repatriation flight to Bristol, I'll take them back to London for only £250.

Bargain.

I'll stop for KFC too if they want.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:01 pm
If anyone knows of a family that manage to get a repatriation flight to Bristol, I'll take them back to London for only £250.

Bargain.

Pretty sure people only ever fly OUT of Brizzle. No fucker in their right mind would want to fly INTO it... ;)
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Bargain.

Pretty sure people only ever fly OUT of Brizzle. No fucker in their right mind would want to fly INTO it... ;)
:lol: :lol:

It's a nice little airport actually.

The city's another matter.
0 x

Jacko1966

Post by Jacko1966 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:19 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:36 am
The worlds oldest travel firm has, as expected, gone bust. I for one am really saddened by this news. We've often used Thomas Cook for our holidays and we've never really had any problems bar a stinky toilet on a 10.5 hour flight to Cuba once. Indeed only 3 weeks ago we booked a trip to the Canary island of La Palma leaving this Thursday and it was only by chance that we eventually booked with TUI instead of TC.

I'll miss Thomas Cook and really feel for the people currently stuck in limbo. Not sure how much it's going to cost the Government to repatriate 150,000 people but you have to suspect it'll be more than the £200M that the publicly bailed out RBS insisted on to guarantee the Fosun deal. 9000 UK jobs down the Swanny as well.

Still, I'm sure there are some disaster capitalists somewhere right now rubbing their hands with glee. Fucking shameful really that yet another British institution is allowed to simply cease to exist.
Approx £600m is the figure I've seen mentioned for repatriation. Baffling.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Joking aside.....KFC would be out of my way....

I haven't booked with them for yonks. I tend to book flights and accommodation separately although I did fly back on a TC plane from Girona last year via a price comparison site. It was delayed by 3 hours.

But there's a little TC office where I live and I get my currency there. Lovely friendly ladies too. It's them I feel sorry for long-term.
1 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Tbf I agree Bristol airport is pretty good. I used to travel a lot with my work and the smaller regional airports are magnitudes better than the big ones. Oh and Luton. Luton can just fuck off. Worst airport in western Europe for sure!

We're flying out from Manc on Thursday. Can't wait to pay their fucking extortionate "drop off" charge, spend a fucking fortune getting a coffee, having to piss in their smelly toilets, deal with the miserable-as-fuck staff and then spend 2 hours queuing to get through security - although we've apparently got this "fast-track" bollocks. We shall see... I'll believe it when we're sitting in the departure lounge an hour and forty minutes before everyone else!

I just wish I could have got the same holiday but flying out of John Lennon Liverpool but alas T2 Manchester it is.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:48 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Tbf I agree Bristol airport is pretty good. I used to travel a lot with my work and the smaller regional airports are magnitudes better than the big ones. Oh and Luton. Luton can just fuck off. Worst airport in western Europe for sure!

We're flying out from Manc on Thursday. Can't wait to pay their fucking extortionate "drop off" charge, spend a fucking fortune getting a coffee, having to piss in their smelly toilets, deal with the miserable-as-fuck staff and then spend 2 hours queuing to get through security - although we've apparently got this "fast-track" bollocks. We shall see... I'll believe it when we're sitting in the departure lounge an hour and forty minutes before everyone else!

I just wish I could have got the same holiday but flying out of John Lennon Liverpool but alas T2 Manchester it is.
I've never flown from Manc but dropped my daughter off there for £4 a year back. Only a quid at Bristol.

Flown from Brum a couple of times. Not too bad.
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:55 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:48 pm
....£4 a year...
That sounds quite reasonable to me! :roll:
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Knowing our luck, Brady and LLDC was probably negotiating the stadium naming rights deal with them.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Social Media