Extinction Rebellion

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:42 am

Well it happened. Old Bill manhandled me into a filth van and I was charged with causing a disturbance. Just released and will be up before the magistrate next month.

So I'm off to Whitehall straight away, after I've had a mung-bean and tofu wrap for brekkie. They won't wear me down. The Stroud and Mid-Gloucestershire pan-pipe orchestra have agreed to pay my fine.

All I did was protest about how our planet is being raped. The nice Chinese and lovely Indians are allowed to spew shit into the atmosphere so they can compete with us and form their own goat-hair weaving veggie communes while dancing naked for the Earth Goddess. It's the only way we can achieve world peace.

My only regret was my choice of politician I super-glued myself to.

Diane Abbott did sweat quite a bit.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Jacko1966

Post by Jacko1966 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:36 am

Newmarket wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:11 pm
Jacko1966 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:40 pm

You know me so well :lol:
Go for a bush dive Trotsk :lol:
I've been diving in a lot of bush lately :D
1 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am

The Rave looked fun at T.Sq yesterday....Mcdonalds and Greggs,others doing a nice trade as well..
Pubs seemed busier than usual.. Good crack...fuck Brexit...lets party..
Swampys back on board now as well... :lol:

They really don't fuckin get it do they....

Serious note....So what is it that these "Planet Savers" actual want us to do...
What infrastructure do we put in place,what replaces what we have,how do we do it,how long
would it take...how do we find the power for emerging economies..to power their hospitals,Schools,
transport systems,homes..

Build as many wind farms,solar farms as you wan't you won't touch what we need.
If someone had a plan in place,a proper researched,documented plan that really could possibly
work at least help in someway...I'd go and join their little jolly up...they don't have one cos
there isn't one.

There's stuff we can and MUST do...a lot, a fuckin lot..to help ease it in a very small way..
But we have to accept the world will slowly get warmer..inevitable..and prepare for it..
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am

mkhammer wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am
The Rave looked fun at T.Sq yesterday....Mcdonalds and Greggs,others doing a nice trade as well..
Pubs seemed busier than usual.. Good crack...fuck Brexit...lets party..
Swampys back on board now as well... :lol:

They really don't fuckin get it do they....

Serious note....So what is it that these "Planet Savers" actual want us to do...
What infrastructure do we put in place,what replaces what we have,how do we do it,how long
would it take...how do we find the power for emerging economies..to power their hospitals,Schools,
transport systems,homes..

Build as many wind farms,solar farms as you wan't you won't touch what we need.
If someone had a plan in place,a proper researched,documented plan that really could possibly
work at least help in someway...I'd go and join their little jolly up...they don't have one cos
there isn't one.

There's stuff we can and MUST do...a lot, a fuckin lot..to help ease it in a very small way..
But we have to accept the world will slowly get warmer..inevitable..and prepare for it..
The world COULD do something,but they won't.

We don't want it effecting the rich man's back pocket,do we?At the end of the day,that is what it is all about for the money men.
0 x

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Dwayne Pipes wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:04 am
I think it’s time we use tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons on this scum.
Load up. Load up. Load up...

1 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 am

It's nice to see a bit of passion for a cause that isn't entirely horseshit.
Can't be bothered myself as I'd quite like to see a catastrophe wipe out the human race, but at least they're not protesting about the gender pay gap.

And when they're rounding up dissidents to be shot or hauled off to the tofu mines I can point to this post as proof of me not giving a monkeys either way.

Gary Lineker for president.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 am

In my mind, while it is certainly not a baseless issue, I can't help but think for many it is just another bandwagon and those actually protesting an excuse not to go to school / work with a blessing. They will move on to the next thing that comes along.

Here in Vancouver, these protesters shut down the whole downtown core on a Friday afternoon and this Monday a main bridge into downtown, both after the morning rush whereby everyone went in to work and were therefore stuck captive unable to get home. It not only caused massive inconvenience and delays from the resulting gridlock, but masses of extra emissions from idling vehicles - including transit buses which equally could not move. I'm sorry, but apart from being totally selfish to 1000's going about their work day, how ridiculous to cause such unnescessary polution to the environment. Not to mention all the litter left behind - including lots of plastic. Hypocrisy. And I have not heard of any support or sympathy gained, rather the contrary.

Personally, I drive a van as an owner operator, delivering all sorts of general freight from Amazon packages, to important business docs to medical supplies. I burned loads of gas which is currently $1.60/l, I get no extra during high fuel prices or for however much or little I burn. Ultimately, we turned around and cancelled all deliveries downtown that day, customers did not get their stuff and I lost the revenue. This week, on the other side of the bridge they closed is the cities main hospital, I had urgent critical medications for a patient - I was 2 hours late. I hope the patient made it.

To the bigger picture, what are they actually expecting the government to do?

As individuals we can all do more like recycling and making alternative transport choices where possible and the local government can help people be greener by making it easy to do such things. Here in Vancouver, there are lots of provisions for cyclists, 90% of the taxi fleet are Prius's and all the buses are replaced with either electric trolleys or new CNG power. There are massive increases in the numbers of Tesla's, Prius's, electric and hybrid vehicles on our roads.

However, what these protesters here have stated they want is for the government to legislate leaving all oil and gas in the ground. That is so short sighted and ludicrous on two fronts.

First of all, while of course we need to find alternative methods of propulsion for the future, it is not going to happen over night and we need oil to live our lives as we know them. Cars, buses, aircraft, ships, delivery vehicles for every single thing you buy at a store (or have dropped at your house) all need oil. We leave ours in the ground, we stop using it? Of course not, we pay to import it from somewhere else. How smart.

Secondly, for a resource rich country like Canada, two provinces at least rely on this industry for a massive % of their GDP and all those livelihoods can't just be replaced overnight. It's easy enough to ask the government to do so, but how and with what?

As an aviation geek, so an industry I know something about to use as an example, the airline industry gets hammered for its emissions, but it is making incredible strides in reducing emissions and making mass flying greener and cleaner. It is a good example, because technology moves quickly, but can only do so incrementally as it evolves. While scientists are looking at hydrogen and electric propulsion etc etc, and we will get there one day, but in the meantime we can only improve on what we have, but even then the pressures to do so are so great they come with compromising consequences. Take the Boeing 737 MAX, a 50 year old design rushed into service with the latest generation engines. Now it is grounded after two crashes with the loss of over 350 lives and older more thirsty aircraft have to remain in service instead of going to the scrap yard. The new generation of geared turbofan engines themslves are not without problems and there have been many glitches and failures on all applications. Rolls Royce have massive issues on their new higher powered engines for the Dreamliner too, and the A380 before that. All because of massive pressure put on the airlines to create less emissions from environmentalists. It is an example of an industry that IS really trying to do their bit and my labored point is it doesn't come without compromises elsewhere and it is going to be the same for any other industry too. Air traffic control and others are all trying to do their bit too to reduce flow times etc. Fuel is saved by adding winglets, reducing weight from newer composite materials, even saving weight by removing in fight magazines and paper. Over the past 30 years the Airbus A320 that Easyjet fly for example has been in service, the % of fuel burn reduced on the aircraft coming off the line today significantly improves every year on the same basic platform due to incremental changes as technology evolves. But that is over 30 years, not overnight. But I bet most of these protesters have no idea about any of it. I also bet most of them have gone on a $1000 all inclusive trip on said aircraft at some point too (and used lots of plastic cups at the hotel...)

And why haven't Toyota (or anyone) made a Transit sized Prius yet? GM are still churning out 6.6l V8 diesels...

Rant over. Sorry for those who wasted two mnutes of their lives reading it.
3 x

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 am

BCHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 am
In my mind, while it is certainly not a baseless issue, I can't help but think for many it is just another bandwagon and those actually protesting an excuse not to go to school / work with a blessing. They will move on to the next thing that comes along.

Here in Vancouver, these protesters shut down the whole downtown core on a Friday afternoon and this Monday a main bridge into downtown, both after the morning rush whereby everyone went in to work and were therefore stuck captive unable to get home. It not only caused massive inconvenience and delays from the resulting gridlock, but masses of extra emissions from idling vehicles - including transit buses which equally could not move. I'm sorry, but apart from being totally selfish to 1000's going about their work day, how ridiculous to cause such unnescessary polution to the environment. Not to mention all the litter left behind - including lots of plastic. Hypocrisy. And I have not heard of any support or sympathy gained, rather the contrary.

Personally, I drive a van as an owner operator, delivering all sorts of general freight from Amazon packages, to important business docs to medical supplies. I burned loads of gas which is currently $1.60/l, I get no extra during high fuel prices or for however much or little I burn. Ultimately, we turned around and cancelled all deliveries downtown that day, customers did not get their stuff and I lost the revenue. This week, on the other side of the bridge they closed is the cities main hospital, I had urgent critical medications for a patient - I was 2 hours late. I hope the patient made it.

As individuals we can all do more like recycling and making alternative transport choices where possible and the local government can help people be greener by making it easy to do such things. Here in Vancouver, there are lots of provisions for cyclists, 90% of the taxi fleet are Prius's and all the buses are replaced with either electric trolleys or new CNG power. There are massive increases in the numbers of Tesla's, Prius's, electric and hybrid vehicles on our roads.

However, what these protesters here have stated they want is for the government to legislate leaving all oil and gas in the ground. That is so short sighted and ludicrous on two fronts.

First of all, while of course we need to find alternative methods of propulsion for the future, it is not going to happen over night and we need oil to live our lives as we know them. Cars, buses, aircraft, ships, delivery vehicles for every single thing you buy at a store (or have dropped at your house) all need oil. We leave ours in the ground, we stop using it? Of course not, we pay to import it from somewhere else. How smart.

Secondly, for a resource rich country like Canada, two provinces at least rely on this industry for a massive % of their GDP and all those livelihoods can't just be replaced overnight. It's easy enough to ask the government to do so, but how and with what?

As an aviation geek, so an industry I know something about to use as an example, the airline industry gets hammered for its emissions, but it is making incredible strides in reducing emissions and making mass flying greener and cleaner. It is a good example, because technology moves quickly, but can only do so incrementally as it evolves. While scientists are looking at hydrogen and electric propulsion etc etc, and we will get there one day, but in the meantime we can only improve on what we have, but even then the pressures to do so are so great they come with compromising consequences. Take the Boeing 737 MAX, a 50 year old design rushed into service with the latest generation engines. Now it is grounded after two crashes with the loss of over 350 lives and older more thirsty aircraft have to remain in service instead of going to the scrap yard. The new generation of geared turbofan engines themslves are not without problems and there have been many glitches and failures on all applications. Rolls Royce have massive issues on their new higher powered engines for the Dreamliner too, and the A380 before that. All because of massive pressure put on the airlines to create less emissions from environmentalists. It is an example of an industry that IS really trying to do their bit and my labored point is it doesn't come without compromises elsewhere and it is going to be the same for any other industry too. Air traffic control and others are all trying to do their bit too to reduce flow times etc. Fuel is saved by adding winglets, reducing weight from newer composite materials, even saving weight by removing in fight magazines and paper. Over the past 30 years the Airbus A320 that Easyjet fly for example has been in service, the % of fuel burn reduced on the aircraft coming off the line today significantly improves every year on the same basic platform due to incremental changes as technology evolves. But that is over 30 years, not overnight. But I bet most of these protesters have no idea about any of it. I also bet most of them have gone on a $1000 all inclusive trip on said aircraft at some point too (and used lots of plastic cups at the hotel...)

And why haven't Toyota (or anyone) made a Transit sized Prius yet? GM are still churning out 6.6l V8 diesels...

Apology accepted :D
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 am

0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 pm

BCHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 am

Thats a great post BC Ham.....it's something everyone should have opinions on and comment on..
Then Hopefully some commonsense will come out of it...

Side note on the Electric Car thing....the Energy still has to come from somewhere,it'll move emissions
from City Centres,fair enough,but doesn't eradicate the problem....plus the Batteries...how they're
made,what's in them,where it comes from,and how we dispose of Millions of tons of Batteries every
year in the future...that's not the answer.
It's a bit of a Public Hoodwink IMO...getting people to buy new vehicles more regular,like they have
us buying new phones every year or 2..
0 x

Social Media