Racism

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
User avatar
grandad
Posts: 4091
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:13 pm
Location: Essex
x 100
x 241

Racism

Post by grandad » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Not a week goes by without it being repoerted at football matches is it worse now than say 10 years ago or highlightd more ?



I packed up going 2 years ago and didnt hear that much in the last few years I went to be honest


It had improved 100 fold from the 80s

Thoughts???
0 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 268
x 1344

Re: Racism

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:10 pm

grandad wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Not a week goes by without it being repoerted at football matches is it worse now than say 10 years ago or highlightd more ?



I packed up going 2 years ago and didnt hear that much in the last few years I went to be honest


It had improved 100 fold from the 80s

Thoughts???
Highlighted more, no doubt imo. Not just at football but all over. Not too many years ago when I ran my own company one of my top FOREX dealers was a black guy and we used to do a little routine at the firm's Xmas bash. Today it would be banned as being racist. Then it was seen as an almighty piss take (out of the PC lobby) . All I will say is that he called me "honky" and I referred to him as "chalky". His kids, and my kids who were kids at the time used to sit together
and absolutely pissed themselves laughing.

Today they'd probably be arrested. Even though his eldest daughter (sadly he died much too young a year or so back) still calls me "MR Honky" when we meet up every year about this time. But I doubt if the PC brigade could even begin to understand that.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
Taansend
Posts: 8598
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: San Diego California
x 1426
x 545
Contact:

Re: Racism

Post by Taansend » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:10 pm
grandad wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Not a week goes by without it being repoerted at football matches is it worse now than say 10 years ago or highlightd more ?



I packed up going 2 years ago and didnt hear that much in the last few years I went to be honest


It had improved 100 fold from the 80s

Thoughts???
Highlighted more, no doubt imo. Not just at football but all over. Not too many years ago when I ran my own company one of my top FOREX dealers was a black guy and we used to do a little routine at the firm's Xmas bash. Today it would be banned as being racist. Then it was seen as an almighty piss take (out of the PC lobby) . All I will say is that he called me "honky" and I referred to him as "chalky". His kids, and my kids who were kids at the time used to sit together
and absolutely pissed themselves laughing.

Today they'd probably be arrested. Even though his eldest daughter (sadly he died much too young a year or so back) still calls me "MR Honky" when we meet up every year about this time. But I doubt if the PC brigade could even begin to understand that.
This might come as a shock but there's a massive difference between two friends doing a piss take comedy routine in a private setting at a party than there is racially abusing strangers in public.

Fucking weird that, eh.

Those fucking PC brigade bastards :lol:
2 x

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 9638
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Huish Episcopi
x 596
x 1410

Re: Racism

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:29 pm

I think it's just been swept under the carpet tbh.

Something drastic needs to happen.

Relegating the bacon-dodgers to the National League South ought to send a message.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

User avatar
Neville Bartos
Posts: 4546
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:29 am
Location: Flyyyyyyyyyin'
x 570
x 821

Re: Racism

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:21 pm

It's a tricky issue, especially these days.
How exactly do you stop idiots making monkey noises?
Football clubs have been banning people doing that for years, but the truth is with a reasonable turnover of attendees it's not football that's responsible. All any club can ever do is react. For the people who do it outreach programs or community education is a waste of time. If there's anyone alive in this country who doesn't realise racism ist verboten then they must've been living in a cave for the last 40 years.
Of course the flip side of the coin is snowflake culture and ignorance. Half the population don't seem to understand the difference between racism, bigotry, and a personal insult. Some kids think that using the term black to identify someone is racist.

Things might be a little worse than they were a decade ago, but we live in times where certain elements of the right have openly promoted a climate of xenophobia.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

User avatar
Thames1
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm
x 14
x 43

Re: Racism

Post by Thames1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Anyone making monkey noises at a black person is plain fucking stupid and deserve what the law throws at them, simple as.

But, in my opinion, if this day and age PC brigade (sorry Taans you gaylord but they do exist) want to stop me saying 'my mate Jock' or 'the frogs from the other side of the channel' or 'my Dad married a Ting Tong' (which he did btw) or 'hello honky tonks' when you see a bloke clearly gay due to looking like a woman, then lets just all become sanitised and never say a word. Never occasionally crack a joke or take the piss.

How can the word 'bender' never be used again, its perfect.

How can I possibly not say 'yank'...or 'fat'...or 'fat yank'?....fuck me, its factual!
1 x

User avatar
terrya1965
Posts: 5110
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm
x 825
x 670

Re: Racism

Post by terrya1965 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm

I spoke about this in another thread the other day.

I was on a Facebook site and a woman turned round and said Racism in this country is worse now,than in the 1970's.I told her she was talking b*llocks!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11889
1 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 268
x 1344

Re: Racism

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:41 am

Taansend wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:34 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:10 pm


Highlighted more, no doubt imo. Not just at football but all over. Not too many years ago when I ran my own company one of my top FOREX dealers was a black guy and we used to do a little routine at the firm's Xmas bash. Today it would be banned as being racist. Then it was seen as an almighty piss take (out of the PC lobby) . All I will say is that he called me "honky" and I referred to him as "chalky". His kids, and my kids who were kids at the time used to sit together
and absolutely pissed themselves laughing.

Today they'd probably be arrested. Even though his eldest daughter (sadly he died much too young a year or so back) still calls me "MR Honky" when we meet up every year about this time. But I doubt if the PC brigade could even begin to understand that.
This might come as a shock but there's a massive difference between two friends doing a piss take comedy routine in a private setting at a party than there is racially abusing strangers in public.

Fucking weird that, eh.

Those fucking PC brigade bastards :lol:
There's no such thing as a "private setting" anymore. If one person in that "private setting" claimed to be offended and made a formal complaint it would still have to be investigated. In exactly the same way that complaints about certain TV content has to be, even if an insignificantly tiny percentage of viewers have complained.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
Taansend
Posts: 8598
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: San Diego California
x 1426
x 545
Contact:

Re: Racism

Post by Taansend » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:41 am
Taansend wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:34 pm


This might come as a shock but there's a massive difference between two friends doing a piss take comedy routine in a private setting at a party than there is racially abusing strangers in public.

Fucking weird that, eh.

Those fucking PC brigade bastards :lol:
There's no such thing as a "private setting" anymore. If one person in that "private setting" claimed to be offended and made a formal complaint it would still have to be investigated. In exactly the same way that complaints about certain TV content has to be, even if an insignificantly tiny percentage of viewers have complained.
It's still a private setting as in only invited people allowed whereas a sporting event where people pay is public.

Two completely different scenarios
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 10019
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 268
x 1344

Re: Racism

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:24 am

Taansend wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:41 am


There's no such thing as a "private setting" anymore. If one person in that "private setting" claimed to be offended and made a formal complaint it would still have to be investigated. In exactly the same way that complaints about certain TV content has to be, even if an insignificantly tiny percentage of viewers have complained.
It's still a private setting as in only invited people allowed whereas a sporting event where people pay is public.

Two completely different scenarios
Different scenario, similar outcome if someone complained.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Post Reply

Social Media