No delta wings ?

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
BillyDWhizz

Re: No delta wings ?

Post by BillyDWhizz » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:41 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Pale started it... I'll let him tell the story unless he don't want to in which case I'll stick a link up that goes in to all sorts of depth about the whole episode.
Pale, Billy, I'm still waiting!!!!!!
https://www.askthepilot.com/untold-concorde-story/
2 x
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:27 pm
Gandalf wrote:

Ta Billy, good read. Used to love seeing it when it was doing trials and whenever we worked out near the airport we'd always use the road that went passed its hangar just to get a glimpse.
0 x
Fuck whisky, I'm forever blowing bubbles

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:27 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:27 pm
Gandalf wrote:

One thing that does irritate me is the reporting of plane crashes. Whenever a plane comes down so often there needs to be a hero in the story. And with the Paris crash that was no different. I remember at the time the reporter saying the pilot was a hero because he missed Paris!!
The plane hit a hotel in a field. There was space to bring the plane down before the hotel, and Le Bourget airport just the other side. But he hit the hotel. To my mind it was clear he was at the controls of an uncontrollable aircraft and he couldn't have hit Paris if he'd tried. But there needs to be a hero so he was given hero status.

But reading through that report, comments like “Discipline had broken down. The captain doesn’t know what’s happening; the co-pilot doesn’t know; it’s a shambles" he was anything but a hero. It just goes to show what nonsense a lot of reporting is.
1 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 pm

Just watched this and it reminded me of this thread.

Interesting.

0 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Wed May 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Oziron wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Gandalf wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:50 pm

In terms of military aircraft, there is. The B2 stealth bomber is a delta wing.
And there are delta wing fighter aircraft too: Typhoon (Eurofighter), Dassault Rafale, Saab Gripen...

Regarding commercial aircraft there are numerous limiting factors.

Airports:
All modern airports are designed to accommodate the existing format of aircraft. And therefore all new commercial aircraft are designed to be compatible with existing airports. It's a tried and tested formula. It works well although it does limit progress.
Concorde worked. But if you were to build a supersonic aircraft now it wouldn't look like Concorde. Technology has moved on greatly since then. But whatever you do build still has to be compatible with existing airports.

Adaptability in design:
All modern aircraft are built in different versions over the span of their lifetime. This is for the differing needs of various airline companies. This can be, for example, different seating arrangements or it can also be different length fuselages based on passenger/cargo requirement and fuel/flight range requirement. And in all cases a simple tube with wings stuck on the side is the easiest format to adapt.
With Concorde for example you couldn't just extend the fuselage due to the wing design (amongst other things).

Return on investment:
Whatever you build for the commercial sector is always about maximizing profits. The cost of designing and building a supersonic aircraft would be immense. So with that in mind you would need to be able to provide a service that is currently not available and that enough people need. With Concorde you could get from London to New York in less than half the time of any other commercial aircraft - but that was about it. Flights to, say, Dubai wouldn't be much quicker because flying supersonic over land is forbidden.

But, as I mentioned earlier, technology is always moving forward. Go and check out the NASA's X-59 QueSST. It's a supersonic research aircraft that will produce no sonic boom. If that technology works as planned then eventually we will get another supersonic airliner in the skies.
The other overriding issue with Concorde was the massive amount of fuel it burned per passenger. No longer economically viable cos of high cost of fuel.
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Thu May 21, 2020 10:21 am

BlackDiamond wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:50 pm
Oziron wrote:

The other overriding issue with Concorde was the massive amount of fuel it burned per passenger. No longer economically viable cos of high cost of fuel.
That's brilliant.....if there's one thing I love to do but cant...it's that....

Do a lot of hiking/climbing.....Lakes and Scotland.....been a few times when I've got to look down
on them...amazing....

They've had me ducking and cowering a few times as well...can appear outta nowhere,you just hear
this tremendous roar...and WTF...... :lol:
0 x

JayK

Post by JayK » Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Oziron wrote:

I’d love to have a ride in one of them or similar. Harriet jumpjet would be amazing
0 x
COYI!!!

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Thu May 21, 2020 1:49 pm

JayK wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 pm
BlackDiamond wrote:

I’d love to have a ride in one of them or similar. Harriet jumpjet would be amazing
When things return to normal and we go back to the Mach Loop I'll post some footage. It's only a few miles from where we put our caravan and we often pop up there for the day. If you aren't uber nerdy and don't check the (usually unreliable anyway) schedules you can often get some pretty cool surprises. Apart from the usual RAF inventory, we've seen F-15s, F-16s F-18s, Ospreys, Mirages, and a Czech Airforce Gripen. I've heard tales of Eastern European Migs and Sukhois too but haven't been that lucky yet, although one of the mega spotters we talk to advises to turn up when the RIAT at Fairford is winding down as a lot of traffic seems to "detour" through the loop on the way home.

It's a bloody good free day out with a picnic and a few beers (if the Mrs volunteers to drive!) when the weathers good - when it's cold and raining sideways - not so much! :lol:

Gonna really miss the Tonkas but can't wait to get a good look at the new F-35s.
0 x
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

JayK

Post by JayK » Thu May 21, 2020 2:07 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:49 pm
JayK wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 pm

When things return to normal and we go back to the Mach Loop I'll post some footage. It's only a few miles from where we put our caravan and we often pop up there for the day. If you aren't uber nerdy and don't check the (usually unreliable anyway) schedules you can often get some pretty cool surprises. Apart from the usual RAF inventory, we've seen F-15s, F-16s F-18s, Ospreys, Mirages, and a Czech Airforce Gripen. I've heard tales of Eastern European Migs and Sukhois too but haven't been that lucky yet, although one of the mega spotters we talk to advises to turn up when the RIAT at Fairford is winding down as a lot of traffic seems to "detour" through the loop on the way home.

It's a bloody good free day out with a picnic and a few beers (if the Mrs volunteers to drive!) when the weathers good - when it's cold and raining sideways - not so much! :lol:

Gonna really miss the Tonkas but can't wait to get a good look at the new F-35s.
Lots of foreign jargon in there but sounds really cool. My cousin went somewhere and got some excellent photos and vids of F-16’s (I think that’s what they’re called). I’ll try find them and post on here if I can. Or I’ll get the cunt to register here and post them himself as he’s a Hammers fan anyway 😀
0 x
COYI!!!

JayK

Post by JayK » Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 pm

I can’t add the vid but 2 out of 4 pics uploaded
Attachments
100C77D1-5F73-4CE5-9452-DDD27943DBCB.jpeg
100C77D1-5F73-4CE5-9452-DDD27943DBCB.jpeg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 117 times
EA7D8310-CF28-416F-8E35-25466CEA7BC0.jpeg
EA7D8310-CF28-416F-8E35-25466CEA7BC0.jpeg (25.84 KiB) Viewed 117 times
1 x