F1, 2020

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Noni

Re: F1, 2020

Post by Noni » Tue May 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Vettel to leave Ferrari, now confirmed.... 3 drivers could replace him. Sainz, Ricciardo and Bottas as a clear number 2 for Charles Leclerc. He will see out his contract for 2020.
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue May 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Noni wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:57 pm
Vettel to leave Ferrari, now confirmed.... 3 drivers could replace him. Sainz, Ricciardo and Bottas as a clear number 2 for Charles Leclerc. He will see out his contract for 2020.
My money would be on Giovinazzi.
0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:26 pm
Noni wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:57 pm
To be confirmed, Carlos Sainz has been given the seat at Ferrari. 17 million for Ricciardo is too much for Ferrari. Who will Lando Norris partner be, could it be Vettel?
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Noni wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 pm
Gandalf wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:26 pm

To be confirmed, Carlos Sainz has been given the seat at Ferrari. 17 million for Ricciardo is too much for Ferrari. Who will Lando Norris partner be, could it be Vettel?
If that's true I'm shocked at that. He was in a really good place where he was. A team on the up. Mercedes engines coming next year. Mercedes own team long-term future in doubt which could have left McLaren as effectively the works team. A new state-of-the-art wind tunnel coming online - which other teams would struggle to replicate due to the coming budget cap. And he appeared to be very happy in that team. The team liked him and there was harmony with his team mate.

And he's leaving that to be a No.2 at Ferrari?? That sounds like a decision made by the heart and not by the head.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Wed May 13, 2020 2:39 am

Gandalf wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm
Noni wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 pm

If that's true I'm shocked at that. He was in a really good place where he was. A team on the up. Mercedes engines coming next year. Mercedes own team long-term future in doubt which could have left McLaren as effectively the works team. A new state-of-the-art wind tunnel coming online - which other teams would struggle to replicate due to the coming budget cap. And he appeared to be very happy in that team. The team liked him and there was harmony with his team mate.

And he's leaving that to be a No.2 at Ferrari?? That sounds like a decision made by the heart and not by the head.
Sainz could be backing himself to be quicker than Leclerc. Or maybe he understands his limitations and is cashing in.
Ferrari are streets ahead of McLaren and a seat in the number 2 Ferrari is probably going to yield better results than either seat at McLaren. At least for the next couple of seasons.
Considering all the factors I think it's a no brainer for Sainz.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed May 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:39 am
Gandalf wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Sainz could be backing himself to be quicker than Leclerc. Or maybe he understands his limitations and is cashing in.
Ferrari are streets ahead of McLaren and a seat in the number 2 Ferrari is probably going to yield better results than either seat at McLaren. At least for the next couple of seasons.
Back towards the end of the 2018 season I stated my belief that it will be a very long time before Ferrari win a world title again. And I'm sticking by that claim. That was in my thoughts when I said I was shocked that Sainz was going there. Sure it will likely give him a quicker route to his first win, but will it give him the trophy he really desires? I really don't think it will.
McLaren on the other hand, I they they will bring home a championship before Ferrari will.

But....... I'm now reading that Ricciardo has already signed for McLaren. Ricciardo-to-McLaren is a rumour that has been circulating for sometime. So if this turns out to be true the Sainz knew he was on his way out anyway. So maybe landing a Ferrari seat wasn't so bad after all! :lol:
0 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Wed May 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:31 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:39 am

Back towards the end of the 2018 season I stated my belief that it will be a very long time before Ferrari win a world title again. And I'm sticking by that claim. That was in my thoughts when I said I was shocked that Sainz was going there. Sure it will likely give him a quicker route to his first win, but will it give him the trophy he really desires? I really don't think it will.
McLaren on the other hand, I they they will bring home a championship before Ferrari will.

But....... I'm now reading that Ricciardo has already signed for McLaren. Ricciardo-to-McLaren is a rumour that has been circulating for sometime. So if this turns out to be true the Sainz knew he was on his way out anyway. So maybe landing a Ferrari seat wasn't so bad after all! :lol:
Just got the news that Daniel Ricciardo will move to McLaren. This will be good news for Lando Norris, in helping his career. 2 laughing team mates in one team, what can go wrong!..... :lol:
1 x

Noni

Post by Noni » Wed May 13, 2020 1:21 pm

1 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed May 13, 2020 3:52 pm

Noni wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:18 pm
Gandalf wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Just got the news that Daniel Ricciardo will move to McLaren. This will be good news for Lando Norris, in helping his career. 2 laughing team mates in one team, what can go wrong!..... :lol:
What a line-up that will be! :lol: :lol:

However, there are also now reports that Vettel has signed a one year deal with McLaren.
If true why would he sign a one year deal?

I really hope it's not true. I really want to see Ricciardo and Norris together! :lol:
1 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 am

I don't think I'd be too keen to put my faith in McLaren. They jumped out of their deal with Honda way too early instead of toughing it out. Now Red Bull are reaping the benefits.
Maybe if Mercedes were pulling their works team out of the sport? But they've shown no interest in supplying engines to teams who can challenge them, as Red Bull found out.
I just question the McLaren decision making and whether they're capable of making enough good decisions to be competitive. Ricciardo is a top tier driver and Norris has shown huge potential, so that's two pluses. But is that Merc customer unit better than the Honda or Ferrari engines? And I'm unconvinced McLaren have the staff to produce a chassis good enough to compete.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Social Media