American humour

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider

Re: American humour

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:48 am

Mikeveep wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:51 pm
And The Simpsons and Family Guy.......
Family Guy goes without saying Mike. In fact anything Seth McFarlane does is good. My sort of humour. A Million Ways to die in the West was panned by the critics. I loved it.

As for the others, Happy Days was good, forgot about that one but not really getting the others you mention although in fairness some I've never watched.

Bilko was before my time. And I'm fucking old.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

eastcoastclaret
Location: Chris Eubank has written a book about ethics. If it sells well, he'll write one about Kent too

Post by eastcoastclaret » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:21 pm

So, apart from, Seinfeld, Cheers, Taxi, Friends, Married with children, the Impeachment Process, 2 and a half men, Sargeant Bilko, Happy Days, Soap, Golden Girls, Mash, Roseanne, Frazier, The Simpson’s, Family Guy...........................................

when have the Americans ever been funny?
:lol:
0 x
gonna need a bigger boat...my thumbs have gone weird...weleese bwian...I didn't eat the salmon mousse...nice beaver...like a glove...I have nipples Greg...the details of my life...he's not the messiah....

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

American shows that make/made me laugh.
Archer
Family Guy
American Dad
The Detour
Fresh off the boat
Bless this mess
Mom
F is for Family
Young Sheldon
The good place
Arrested development
Brooklyn nine-nine
and...Ok it's not American but Canadian, Schitt's Creek.
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:52 pm

American humour seems very fixed at adolescence levels. References to boobs and bums and plenty of swearing.

Watch 10 mins of Sarah Silverman or Joe Rogan and it's hard to believe that the material took months to craft and compose.

I like Rogan, but it's difficult to see that his stand up endures because of it's quality,rather than the likeability of the person performing it.
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:40 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:52 pm
American humour seems very fixed at adolescence levels. References to boobs and bums and plenty of swearing.

Watch 10 mins of Sarah Silverman or Joe Rogan and it's hard to believe that the material took months to craft and compose.

I like Rogan, but it's difficult to see that his stand up endures because of it's quality,rather than the likeability of the person performing it.
The Ranch sums up exactly what you said there. Canned laughter every time Sam Elliot says "fuck".
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:01 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:47 am
Married With Children was very good at times.
And those times were morning, noon and night. ;)
0 x

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:01 am

F is for Family is effing fantastic.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:23 am

The issue I have with most US sitcoms is that they're written by a large team of writers. And most of the time you can tell.
It tends to produce a quite broad and polished show, but with no real side or quirk to it.
I think that's why a lot of UK comedies fail when they're remade for the US. All the quirky uniqueness gets shaken out by writers.
Five minutes watching the American version of The Inbetweeners and you could see they'd ruined it by trying to broaden the appeal.

0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:06 pm

Wilfred was a brilliant show on the ABC, but after a few years the Yanks did their own version. Had the Hobbit actor who was also the lead in GSH.

Was cringeworthy.
0 x

Social Media