1st album bought and 1st live band seen

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Down under mick

1st album bought and 1st live band seen

Post by Down under mick » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:04 pm

1st album slade alive
1st live band seen Alice Cooper
Maybe already been done
0 x

palerider

Re: 1st album bought and 1st live band seen

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:41 pm

Trout Mask Replica...Captain Beefheart.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:08 pm

Cool For Cats - Squeeze

The Picnic at Blackbushe Aerodrome. I was only 9 ish, my brother took me along, there must of been a hundred thousand people. I seem to remember Clapton and Bob Dylan were playing there.
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

Taansend

Post by Taansend » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:54 pm

First album was Boomtown Rats - I don't like Mondays

First concert was a collection of hip hop & electro stars. Afrikaans Bombarta (however you fucking spell it) & others

First actual musician/artist was Eek-a-Mouse
0 x

Taansend

Post by Taansend » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:55 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:08 pm
Cool For Cats - Squeeze

The Picnic at Blackbushe Aerodrome. I was only 9 ish, my brother took me along, there must of been a hundred thousand people. I seem to remember Clapton and Bob Dylan were playing there.
I worked on markets down at Blackbush
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Taansend wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:54 pm
I don't Like Mondays was on the A Fine Art of Surfacing album.

My Mum would always make subtle inquires leading up to Christmas to find out what I wanted. I mentioned Tonic For The Troops by The Boomtown Rats.
Christmas morning under the tree was am LP shaped present. I was happy. :D
Then when I opened it, it wasn't Tonic For The Troops, it was A Fine Art of Surfacing. I was so disappointed. Not sure how successful I was a hiding that. :lol:
A bit later I went upstairs and played the LP - and it was brilliant! I loved it.

A lot of people are critical of Bob Geldof these days - even me to an extent. But I was a big Boomtown Rats back then.

And I still think it's a great album now!!! 8-)
1 x

Taansend

Post by Taansend » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:47 pm
Taansend wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:54 pm

My Mum would always make subtle inquires leading up to Christmas to find out what I wanted. I mentioned Tonic For The Troops by The Boomtown Rats.
Then when I opened it, it wasn't Tonic For The Troops, it was A Fine Art of Surfacing. I was so disappointed. Not sure how successful I was a hiding that. :lol:
A bit later I went upstairs and played the LP - and it was brilliant! I loved it.

A lot of people are critical of Bob Geldof these days - even me to an extent. But I was a big Boomtown Rats back then.

I just loved that song. The whole story behind it about the 16 year old girl who one day just woke up in a bad mood & shot up the infant's school opposite her house.

Coincidentally I now live about five miles from the event in San Diego

Plus Bob was a commanding presence on TOTP :lol:

I once bumped into him on the King's Road. He's really fucking big
0 x

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm

Taansend wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:17 pm
Gandalf wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:47 pm

I just loved that song. The whole story behind it about the 16 year old girl who one day just woke up in a bad mood & shot up the infant's school opposite her house.

I nearly killed him once! :o :lol:

I used to be a dispatch rider in London. One day I was riding up the Holloway Road. The traffic was near stationary, and I was riding up the outside of the traffic.
Then Geldof came waltzing out between the cars looking the other way. I slammed on my brakes. He looked around, jumped back with a very startled look on his face before very quickly regaining his composure as I rode by.

I remember him being dressed up like something out of Captain Hook with long frilly sleeves coming out from a long black coat.
Not long after he was on the cover of Sounds in the same outfit, so I guess he was on his way too or from a photo-shoot and interview.
1 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:39 pm

Taansend wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:55 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:08 pm
Cool For Cats - Squeeze

I worked on markets down at Blackbush
My old man used to take me to watch the Drag racing there. The cars that is, not the Rupaul wannabe kind. My dad knew the bloke who ran the airfield, I used to call him the fat controller - I can't remember his name, always mooching around in his yellow Jaguar XJS though and he'd let me wander around the static aeroplane displays and drag racing pits which for a small boy was very fucking cool! :lol:
1 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

Taansend

Post by Taansend » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm
Taansend wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:17 pm

I nearly killed him once! :o :lol:

I used to be a dispatch rider in London. One day I was riding up the Holloway Road. The traffic was near stationary, and I was riding up the outside of the traffic.
Then Geldof came waltzing out between the cars looking the other way. I slammed on my brakes. He looked around, jumped back with a very startled look on his face before very quickly regaining his composure as I rode by.

I remember him being dressed up like something out of Captain Hook with long frilly sleeves coming out from a long black coat.
Not long after he was on the cover of Sounds in the same outfit, so I guess he was on his way too or from a photo-shoot and interview.
So that's where the song "Mad Cunt on a Bike" came from :lol:

When I saw him he was wearing like a smoking jacket with vertical stripes. Gold, black & red if I remember rightly
1 x

Social Media