Thick people.

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
kingclyde

Re: Thick people.

Post by kingclyde » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 am

How can you define "Thick People"? I'm really not sure to be honest.

So maybe I'm thick.

I have met very highly educated people who would struggle to tie their own shoe laces.

I have met 16 year old school leavers without a CSE to their names who are whip smart.

Education does not equal intelligence. But sadly, society seems to believe that the former automatically creates the latter.
3 x

hd1

Post by hd1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:49 pm

I had a woman on a FB group post that it was pointless buying handgel as all it did was move the bacteria around your hands, and didn't kill viruses.

I pointed out factually that she was incorrect and she went off on one, saying didn't I have anything better to do. When i told her it took 2 secs to check the facts she replied that she had better things to do with her time.

I almost replied the problem is other thick people will believe you, but resisted

There is no hope...
0 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:23 pm

hd1 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:49 pm
I had a woman on a FB group post that it was pointless buying handgel as all it did was move the bacteria around your hands, and didn't kill viruses.

I pointed out factually that she was incorrect and she went off on one, saying didn't I have anything better to do. When i told her it took 2 secs to check the facts she replied that she had better things to do with her time.

I almost replied the problem is other thick people will believe you, but resisted

There is no hope...
A sad and all too common thing HD.

There is a thought that being highly educated makes you more susceptible to crackpot ideas - in essence, because you are so convinced of your own brilliance that you can not entertain the idea that you could be fooled. It's why Arthur Conan Doyle - highly educated and extravagantly learned - spent his life convinced of the existence of fairies and ghosts and aliens in human form inhabiting the earth.

Try posting anything about diet, anywhere, and watch the university educated middle-class deluded pile in with opinions that they have formed after reading diet gurus, self-appointed experts, yoga twits, reflexologists and reiki practitioners and the like, who they believe wholly and unreservedly.

The bizarre thing is, the very tool they use to get this flawed, biased and plain wrong information, is also the tool they can use to check claims, and find out the actual facts. But they either cant be arsed, or don't know how.

Put anything about that subject (as an example) into Google, and you are awash with nonsense from vested interests, crystal fondlers and supplement peddlers. But Google Scholar - the repository for peer-reviewed research - is always available and free, if they only took the time to inform themselves properly from unbaised sources. But reading a dry research paper on the health benefits of, say, Coconut Oil (none - it is about 95% saturated fat, and therefore fucking appalling shit), is so much harder than reading the post of your friend Fiona from Highgate on how she read an article in Healthy Twat Today that said it would reduce cholesterol to zero in a week.

The world will soon be run by people, elected because they got the most clicks on their Facebook or insta page. That is the future.
2 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:22 pm

hd1 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:49 pm

There is no hope...
Let's see if we can add some balance here. My father was in hospital and they had experienced a Novavirus outbreak on one ward. The second time I visited,the outbreak had now affected three wards. I did some research and found that in Sweden they prescribed soap and water for hand cleanliness because the hand gel was thought to be largely ineffective.

Third visit to the hospital, I mentioned this to the ward doctor,with relevant website references. The look I received was both skeptical and a bit hostile.

The next visit, prominent signs were displayed "Don't use hand gel on the wards,WASH HANDS WITH SOAP WATER"

Seems a Lady on Facebook knows her onions...
0 x

hd1

Post by hd1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:30 pm

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine advise that whilst washing hands properly is the best method, using a 60%+ alcohol handgel will kill 99% of bacteria and certain viruses such as covid-19.

Norovirus is not killed by had gel as it has a different make up to other viruses.

So whilst you are right, she was wrong
0 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:04 pm

hd1 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:30 pm
The London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine advise that whilst washing hands properly is the best method, using a 60%+ alcohol handgel will kill 99% of bacteria and certain viruses such as covid-19.

Norovirus is not killed by had gel as it has a different make up to other viruses.

So whilst you are right, she was wrong
and that's unusual for me. :D
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:54 pm

kingclyde wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 am

So maybe I'm thick.

I have met very highly educated people who would struggle to tie their own shoe laces.

I have met 16 year old school leavers without a CSE to their names who are whip smart.

Education does not equal intelligence. But sadly, society seems to believe that the former automatically creates the latter.
Those willing to forcibly or publicly express an opinion, with little or no knowledge of the subject matter.
Those who use faulty logic and/or reason.
Spuds fans.
Numbers.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:06 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:54 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 am

So maybe I'm thick.

Those willing to forcibly or publicly express an opinion, with little or no knowledge of the subject matter.
Spuds fans.
Numbers.
Are you saying that you have profound knowledge of every subject about which you express an opinion?
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:08 pm

kingclyde wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:06 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Spuds fans.
Numbers.
Are you saying that you have profound knowledge of every subject about which you express an opinion?
Yep :D
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:08 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:06 pm

Yep :D
Including the legal ramifications of marriage and divorce?
0 x

Social Media