Music

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Neville Bartos

Re: Music

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Cobblers to U2.

I twist the truth, I rule the world
My crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies
You grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you
Your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant
And revel in your pain
And all my promises are lies
All my love is hate
I am the politician
And I decide your fate...

Lemmy knows.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 am

mkhammer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Afternoon.

Yep. Shit. Complete shit. Big old bag of shit. Big old smelly bag of shitty shit. Wrapped in a wrapper of shit. With a shit dressing.

They were lucky - right place, right time with nothing at all new to say. Terribly forgettable. I've been "treated" to their music since the War album (great cover by the way), and to be honest, the only tunes I can actually recall in their entire repertoire are The Streets Have No Name (good intro) and Angel of Harlem (which I do actually like). Other than that, it's all pretty mundane. In my opinion.

The main driver for their fame is not really their music though, which is just play-by-numbers rock, but their sanctimoniousness and hectoring pretentiousness.

They constantly shout slogans and march about on stage calling on "people" to do more - more for charity, more for peace, more for the poor and the vulnerable. Then get back into their private helicopters to be whisked back to one of their many homes.

They criticise the US and Britain - paint them as demons - while greedily taking the money these huge, free markets deliver.

They whine about governments not contributing to poorer nations, and yet they move their business from Ireland to Holland to avoid the tax they would have to pay were they to stay in their native land.

They spout on about nations donating to charitable causes, yet they cosy up to Apple (one of the world's great tax avoiders) and take millions for making their adverts.

They decry politics and politicians and the whole power game, yet have dinner and photo calls with George Bush, Blair - anyone willing to stand next to Saint Bono in the range of a camera.

They profess to despise class and privilege, yet they accept honorary Knighthoods from the queen.

They are a vacuous, hollow, self-serving bunch of sloganeering, pretentious knobs pretending, and failing, to be a rock and roll band.

But other than that, they are completely fine. :D

Oh, and as far as Anderson goes, good footballer, but I bet the bloke can't play guitar for toffee. :D

Hi Clyde...Welcome by the way....

Right U2.... :lol:

Nearly 200 million in Record sales puts them well in top 20 best selling artists of all time,
that includes all the Country stuff (Garth Brooks.etc) who sell phenomenal amounts,
Joshua Tree Sold in excess of 25 mill..
Had 8 No1 Albums...including In the 80s 90s 00s 10s
Prob the Biggest Band in the World for 10 years or so 87-97...even now would piss a week at
the O2...prob 2...not many bands/artists would get anywhere near that.
One of the most recognisable/innovative bands around...always trying something new,different,
always put on an amazing stage show....The 360 tour (2009) is the highest grossing tour of all
time... 110 stadium gigs completely sold out within minutes of dates being released.
Not bad for a Shit Pub Band....

You might not like em Clyde..but a awful lot do .....
Morning -

Thanks for the welcome. I'm an old member (in every sense), but haven't been on for a while and lost all my log in stuff, so rejoined.

To U2..

Michael Jackson’s Thriller, complete with stupid squeaks, a voice that could alert dogs three towns away, and some really awful tunes, is the best selling album of all time.

The other 9 of the top 10 include the soundtrack the The Bodyguard, two, YES TWO, by the Eagles (they may make for easy listening and a pleasant ambiance on a sunny Sunday BBQ, but the best albums of all time?), one by the Bee Gees – really, the fucking Bee Gees, and even an album by Shania Twain.

Celine Dion has two albums in the top 50 that both sold more than 20 million copies each.

The soundtrack to Dirty Dancing is the 17th biggest selling album in history.

TOWIE achieves viewing figures in excess of 1 million

The vacuous, lamentable crapfest that is Avatar (the movie) made 2,788,000,000 dollars in cinema receipts.

Dwayne Johnson is the highest paid actor in Hollywood.

In 2017, Jeremy Renner (Yes, JEREMY FUCKING RENNER, a man who is to acting what I am to contemporary interpretive ice dance), was the highest paid actor in Hollywood.

U2 may be able to pack stadiums. I would suggest that they would be along way behind One Direction in any hypothetical residency at the O2. Or anywhere else on planet earth for that matter.

And any venue seeking bums on seats would hand Bono a toilet brush and put him to work in the bogs if the Spice Girls phoned and asked if the venue was free.

My point is, popularity does not guarantee quality.

But, on reflection, I may well have been a touch harsh in suggesting U2 are a shit Pub Band.

They are not, clearly.

They are probably a reasonably OK pub band. If it’s not a weekend. And there’s nothing on telly. And you were not expecting anything new or creative. :D
2 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 am

Pennywise wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:26 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Afternoon.

Yep. Shit. Complete shit. Big old bag of shit. Big old smelly bag of shitty shit. Wrapped in a wrapper of shit. With a shit dressing.

They were lucky - right place, right time with nothing at all new to say. Terribly forgettable. I've been "treated" to their music since the War album (great cover by the way), and to be honest, the only tunes I can actually recall in their entire repertoire are The Streets Have No Name (good intro) and Angel of Harlem (which I do actually like). Other than that, it's all pretty mundane. In my opinion.

The main driver for their fame is not really their music though, which is just play-by-numbers rock, but their sanctimoniousness and hectoring pretentiousness.

They constantly shout slogans and march about on stage calling on "people" to do more - more for charity, more for peace, more for the poor and the vulnerable. Then get back into their private helicopters to be whisked back to one of their many homes.

They criticise the US and Britain - paint them as demons - while greedily taking the money these huge, free markets deliver.

They whine about governments not contributing to poorer nations, and yet they move their business from Ireland to Holland to avoid the tax they would have to pay were they to stay in their native land.

They spout on about nations donating to charitable causes, yet they cosy up to Apple (one of the world's great tax avoiders) and take millions for making their adverts.

They decry politics and politicians and the whole power game, yet have dinner and photo calls with George Bush, Blair - anyone willing to stand next to Saint Bono in the range of a camera.

They profess to despise class and privilege, yet they accept honorary Knighthoods from the queen.

They are a vacuous, hollow, self-serving bunch of sloganeering, pretentious knobs pretending, and failing, to be a rock and roll band.

But other than that, they are completely fine. :D

Oh, and as far as Anderson goes, good footballer, but I bet the bloke can't play guitar for toffee. :D
I agree with some of that, post Achtung Baby, but to say they had nothing original to say before that is Bollocks, have you listened to War?

Joshua Tree has been widely acclaimed as one of the best albums ever released and, whilst I don't agree, it's fucking ridiculous to suggest that the only good thing to come from it, according to you, was an intro.

Play by number rock = Beatles and every other band who wasn't doing Prog. Again, a ridiculous criticism.

The rest has nothing to do with their music, but wouldn't disagree; I can't fucking stand what they've become, but to use that bias to taint their early efforts is just bollocks.

Anyway, just can't stop having this on rotate right now :D :

War was a great album cover.

Joshua tree. Great album cover.

And now another sacred cow gets wheeled out to Pavlovian applause. The Beatles were shit. Four bloke sin silly haircuts and thunderbird suits, marketed to fuck. They may have been shatteringly different in the early 60s. But what, of their back catalogue, is now still memorable? I went through it the other day. It was hard to put more than two tunes on my spotify playlist. They have been deified by people who have not taken the trouble to think. Or investigate.

U2 have nothing to say. They are a collection of tired cliches, shuffling about like wheezing geriatrics trying to affect outrage and a social conscience, but without the veracity to achieve it.

The billionaire bloke in the orange glasses on stage trying to phone a president (what a cunt).

If you want social comment, Idles are doing it now. Not Bono and his billionaires.

Really, U2 are an embarrassment. They are the band equivalent of the embarrassing parent who, in a an effort to show the youngsters how hip he still is, tries to discuss social media with his kids and their mates at a party.

The ship has sailed Bono. Now take your fortune and fuck off into obscurity there's a good fella, and leave music to people, who still have something to say.

:)
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am

kingclyde wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 am
mkhammer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi Clyde...Welcome by the way....

Right U2.... :lol:

Nearly 200 million in Record sales puts them well in top 20 best selling artists of all time,
that includes all the Country stuff (Garth Brooks.etc) who sell phenomenal amounts,
Joshua Tree Sold in excess of 25 mill..
Had 8 No1 Albums...including In the 80s 90s 00s 10s
Prob the Biggest Band in the World for 10 years or so 87-97...even now would piss a week at
the O2...prob 2...not many bands/artists would get anywhere near that.
One of the most recognisable/innovative bands around...always trying something new,different,
always put on an amazing stage show....The 360 tour (2009) is the highest grossing tour of all
time... 110 stadium gigs completely sold out within minutes of dates being released.
Not bad for a Shit Pub Band....

You might not like em Clyde..but a awful lot do .....
Morning -

Thanks for the welcome. I'm an old member (in every sense), but haven't been on for a while and lost all my log in stuff, so rejoined.

To U2..

Michael Jackson’s Thriller, complete with stupid squeaks, a voice that could alert dogs three towns away, and some really awful tunes, is the best selling album of all time.

The other 9 of the top 10 include the soundtrack the The Bodyguard, two, YES TWO, by the Eagles (they may make for easy listening and a pleasant ambiance on a sunny Sunday BBQ, but the best albums of all time?), one by the Bee Gees – really, the fucking Bee Gees, and even an album by Shania Twain.

Celine Dion has two albums in the top 50 that both sold more than 20 million copies each.

The vacuous, lamentable crapfest that is Avatar (the movie) made 2,788,000,000 dollars in cinema receipts.

In 2017, Jeremy Renner (Yes, JEREMY FUCKING RENNER, a man who is to acting what I am to contemporary interpretive ice dance), was the highest paid actor in Hollywood.

U2 may be able to pack stadiums. I would suggest that they would be along way behind One Direction in any hypothetical residency at the O2. Or anywhere else on planet earth for that matter.

And any venue seeking bums on seats would hand Bono a toilet brush and put him to work in the bogs if the Spice Girls phoned and asked if the venue was free.

But, on reflection, I may well have been a touch harsh in suggesting U2 are a shit Pub Band.

They are not, clearly.

They are probably a reasonably OK pub band. If it’s not a weekend. And there’s nothing on telly. And you were not expecting anything new or creative. :D

:lol: :lol: ...No...Don't dig the Eagles out as well....you'll have me a nervous wreck...
And Shania Twain is F.in Hot...so gets a free pass.(Who's Shallow... :lol: )
Thrillers got Eddy Van Halen on...so let that thru.

Rest is bang on mate..

Oh add to it Footballers that are pretty average earning upwards of 4/5 mill every year..
0 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 am

mkhammer wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am
kingclyde wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 am

Morning -

To U2..

They are not, clearly.

:lol: :lol: ...No...Don't dig the Eagles out as well....you'll have me a nervous wreck...

Rest is bang on mate..

Oh add to it Footballers that are pretty average earning upwards of 4/5 mill every year..

Fuck me, MK -
You know how you always used to see the cassette tape with a mile of unwound tape on the grass verge at every other road junction? That was people listening to your playlist that caused that. I hope you are happy with what you did. :lol:
1 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 pm
Cobblers to U2.

I twist the truth, I rule the world
My crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies
You grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you
Your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant
And revel in your pain
And all my promises are lies
All my love is hate
I am the politician
And I decide your fate...

Lemmy knows.

Love Lemmy as well mate....saw them a few times....as my tinnitus proves... :lol:

Lemmy was Happiest in front of a fruit machine....after the groupies that is... :lol:

Top Top Bloke ....
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 am

kingclyde wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 am
mkhammer wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am

Rest is bang on mate..

Fuck me, MK -
You know how you always used to see the cassette tape with a mile of unwound tape on the grass verge at every other road junction? That was people listening to your playlist that caused that. I hope you are happy with what you did. :lol:
Sorry....thought I was making people happy.... :lol:

Big Radiohead fan as well....but I think I know where that's going..... :lol:
1 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 am

mkhammer wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 am
kingclyde wrote:

Fuck me, MK -

Ahhh, I love Radiohead, mate. Thom Yorke may very well be a spanner, but The Bends is in my top 5 albums of all time. That said I've never been as disappointed by an Album as when I heard Kid A, pretentious bollocks.
2 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:26 am

0 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am

mkhammer wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 am
kingclyde wrote:

Fuck me, MK -

In my opinion MK, Radiohead are a different matter entirely.

Innovative, constantly evolving, technically brilliant.

Started listening to them at Pablo Honey - a very under rated album due to the dominance of Creep. The Bends was jaw-dropping. OK Computer equally great. Kid A just puzzled me, but I admire their wish to experiment. In Rainbows - wonderful.

They are, to my mind, everything U2 are not :)

Obviously, music is entirely subjective. There is always room for blokes in wizard suits playing twelve pianos while suspended from a crane. Or a young kid with a guitar desperate to say what's on his/her kind. Just not some pretentious twonk whining about social injustice from an ivory throne. :)
0 x

Social Media