Music

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
kingclyde

Re: Music

Post by kingclyde » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Pennywise wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am

That has the pungent whiff of an ageing man desperately trying to hold back the inexorable assault of time, spending his time convincing himself that it's OK for him to use urban slang with the yoofs on the street corners, and they are not laughing at him, but with him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coming from the self-professed slipper wearing fan of the Idles. :lol:

Let me speak to you in manner you may feel is appropriate to your aspirations regarding youth. You can use it when you next stand outside Westfield chirpsing buff gal innit.

Aiight bruv. Manz was gonna give you air, but bare heads is lookin an I dint mean no merk no one. All manz is sayin is dat tune is tune, and nang tune is nang tune. No matter if da singer is sick or rinsed – sick tunes is sick tunes. My ends, I can listen to any tunes an its all good. Jus kotch blud. Kotch.

Just don't tell them about all the wizard music. You'll be ostracized in seconds. :)
1 x

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:20 pm

kingclyde wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 pm
Pennywise wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Coming from the self-professed slipper wearing fan of the Idles. :lol:

Let me speak to you in manner you may feel is appropriate to your aspirations regarding youth. You can use it when you next stand outside Westfield chirpsing buff gal innit.

Aiight bruv. Manz was gonna give you air, but bare heads is lookin an I dint mean no merk no one. All manz is sayin is dat tune is tune, and nang tune is nang tune. No matter if da singer is sick or rinsed – sick tunes is sick tunes. My ends, I can listen to any tunes an its all good. Jus kotch blud. Kotch.

Just don't tell them about all the wizard music. You'll be ostracized in seconds. :)
My aspirations regarding youth? I'm not entirely sure that sentence a) makes any sense or b) is relevant. I was pointing out that you were gently ribbing (I fucking hate that term. I feel dirty) Nev on being an older chap pretending to be cool, whilst you are an old man yourself and have posted of being a fan of Idles.

By the by, I bare red dat in Steve Frys voice and it was bare funny, innit. :lol:
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:39 pm

kingclyde wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am
Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 pm

'Real music', is something your grandad would say before whipping out his gramophone and Vera Lynn records.
You have to make a stand against these grey haired popular culture terrorists. Lonnie Donegan was shit, and that's the end of it. :D
That has the pungent whiff of an ageing man desperately trying to hold back the inexorable assault of time, spending his time convincing himself that it's OK for him to use urban slang with the yoofs on the street corners, and they are not laughing at him, but with him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like I'd be hanging about on here with you old farts if I wanted hold back time. :D
Yoofs on street corners... it's not 1958. Dear oh dear.

0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Thames

Post by Thames » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:54 pm

0 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:13 am

Pennywise wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:20 pm
kingclyde wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 pm

My aspirations regarding youth? I'm not entirely sure that sentence a) makes any sense or b) is relevant. I was pointing out that you were gently ribbing (I fucking hate that term. I feel dirty) Nev on being an older chap pretending to be cool, whilst you are an old man yourself and have posted of being a fan of Idles.

By the by, I bare red dat in Steve Frys voice and it was bare funny, innit. :lol:
A “fan” of the Idles? Mate, my days of being a fan of any musician are long gone. Apart from my boys, at whose gigs I become a complete embarrassing fucking fanboy. I am a truly embarrassing Dad.

I listen to lots of music. And I can enjoy and appreciate anything from Opera to Jazz, from Prog Rock to Soul, Punk to Folk and all stops between.

I do like to listen to new music, but I cannot take credit for discovering any of it. Now there is no Old Grey Whistle Test, it’s all but impenetrable to me. Too much choice. I'd need whole days to browse what is now available on my PC. Instead, I rely on my kids saying “Dad, listen to this – think you’ll like it”. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Some of my older boy’s heavier thrashy stuff is too much for me (you’d love it). Some of my younger boys grime stuff is also too much.

Quite often I will see an addition to one of my Spotify playlists I don’t recognise which my boys have left me, and discover a new band I’d never heard of. This week it is Drenge. Never heard of them. But my older boy rates them so I get to listen to music I’d never have discovered otherwise. Slightly Bowie inflected rock - good stuff imo.

I have always tried not to be judgmental about music. Not think of old people’s music or young people’s music. Good music is good music, regardless of who is singing it.

My kids can sing along – word perfect – with Sinatra or Thin Lizzy, Bowie or Etta James, The Smiths or Joy Division. But the music they write and play is nothing like these. I’m sure they all go into the creative melting pot when they write their own stuff though. A process I find utterly mystifying - I couldn’t do it if my life depended on it.

Safe, bruv, safe. :)
0 x

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 am

kingclyde wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:13 am
Pennywise wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:20 pm

A “fan” of the Idles? Mate, my days of being a fan of any musician are long gone. Apart from my boys, at whose gigs I become a complete embarrassing fucking fanboy. I am a truly embarrassing Dad.

I listen to lots of music. And I can enjoy and appreciate anything from Opera to Jazz, from Prog Rock to Soul, Punk to Folk and all stops between.

I do like to listen to new music, but I cannot take credit for discovering any of it. Now there is no Old Grey Whistle Test, it’s all but impenetrable to me. Too much choice. I'd need whole days to browse what is now available on my PC. Instead, I rely on my kids saying “Dad, listen to this – think you’ll like it”. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Some of my older boy’s heavier thrashy stuff is too much for me (you’d love it). Some of my younger boys grime stuff is also too much.

Quite often I will see an addition to one of my Spotify playlists I don’t recognise which my boys have left me, and discover a new band I’d never heard of. This week it is Drenge. Never heard of them. But my older boy rates them so I get to listen to music I’d never have discovered otherwise. Slightly Bowie inflected rock - good stuff imo.

I have always tried not to be judgmental about music. Not think of old people’s music or young people’s music. Good music is good music, regardless of who is singing it.

My kids can sing along – word perfect – with Sinatra or Thin Lizzy, Bowie or Etta James, The Smiths or Joy Division. But the music they write and play is nothing like these. I’m sure they all go into the creative melting pot when they write their own stuff though. A process I find utterly mystifying - I couldn’t do it if my life depended on it.

Fair play Frog, sounds like you have a great relationship with your boys, which is wonderful.

I like all and everything, I love Bristol heats, hip-hop, prog, but I always come back to rock/metal. My old man liked punk and new wave, I guess I took that on a bit.

If it's live, and well played, I'll love it regardless of genre. You can't beat good live music. I used to play myself back in the distant past. If the guitar gets an airing these days, it isn't long before I'm taking requests from my girls......Old McDonald and Baby Shark are the current favourites. I joint host an open mic night at work, that's about as good as it gets these days.

My wife plays piano and, with my amateur fiddlings on the guitar, I'm hoping that my ladies will pick something up. All banter aside, music is a love and has been a genuine source of joy for me.

70s crooners aside, ahem.
1 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Pennywise wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 am
kingclyde wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:13 am

Fair play Frog, sounds like you have a great relationship with your boys, which is wonderful.

I like all and everything, I love Bristol heats, hip-hop, prog, but I always come back to rock/metal. My old man liked punk and new wave, I guess I took that on a bit.

If it's live, and well played, I'll love it regardless of genre. You can't beat good live music. I used to play myself back in the distant past. If the guitar gets an airing these days, it isn't long before I'm taking requests from my girls......Old McDonald and Baby Shark are the current favourites. I joint host an open mic night at work, that's about as good as it gets these days.

My wife plays piano and, with my amateur fiddlings on the guitar, I'm hoping that my ladies will pick something up. All banter aside, music is a love and has been a genuine source of joy for me.

Brilliant mate. And good for you. Hope your girls pick up yours and your wife's musical gifts. I love hearing my kids play. I love music - always have - but cannot play to save my life. A can strum chords, but picking to me is the devils work. I don't understand how they do it at all. Makes me proud as hell to see that creativity. :) You should introduce them to a bit of Easy Listening mate. I'm going through a bit of a Brasil 66 / Sergio Mendes thing at the moment. You could try doing a Bossanova version of Baby Shark :)
0 x

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm

kingclyde wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm
Pennywise wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 am

Brilliant mate. And good for you. Hope your girls pick up yours and your wife's musical gifts. I love hearing my kids play. I love music - always have - but cannot play to save my life. A can strum chords, but picking to me is the devils work. I don't understand how they do it at all. Makes me proud as hell to see that creativity. :) You should introduce them to a bit of Easy Listening mate. I'm going through a bit of a Brasil 66 / Sergio Mendes thing at the moment. You could try doing a Bossanova version of Baby Shark :)
Oh mate, my wife is a lovey actress who has done musical theatre. Easy listening is literally all she has, I guarantee Sergio Menses is on her playlist

As for the bossanova version of baby shark, you can tell it's been a while since you parented. There are literally 100s of different versions mate, I know of 5 or 6 that could be classed as that......it's probably the most recorded song on Earth. Fuck. My. Life.

Anyway, your line on Bossanova reminded me of one of my hero's; here's Joscho Stephan doing Bosso Dorado, the man isn't human:

0 x

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Pennywise wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Oh mate, my wife is a lovey actress who has done musical theatre. Easy listening is literally all she has, I guarantee Sergio Menses is on her playlist

As for the bossanova version of baby shark, you can tell it's been a while since you parented. There are literally 100s of different versions mate, I know of 5 or 6 that could be classed as that......it's probably the most recorded song on Earth. Fuck. My. Life.

Anyway, your line on Bossanova reminded me of one of my hero's; here's Joscho Stephan doing Bosso Dorado, the man isn't human:
I play just like that. Honest. :lol:
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Too many good Massive Attack tunes to choose from. This one is from 98 and it still sounds fresh to my ears.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Social Media