Heavyweight Boxing

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Brookbonds73

Re: Joshua Klitschko

Postby Brookbonds73 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Pennywise wrote:
Brookbonds73 wrote:I didn't see the fight but listened on the radio and it did indeed sound pretty decent, but let's not get carried away here. Klitchsko was a good fighter but at 41 is way way past his best which was at one stage wasn't that brilliant. Boxing has become a farce and this has done nothing to rekindle it's already tarnished reputation.

Sorry, you didn't watch it mate, that was the best Klitschko I've seen. Great fight from two great fighters, have a watch, you might change your mind.

As for Boxings reputation; the best heavyweight fight for 15 years, a new marketable young champion, biggest ppv figures for a british fight and the biggest british gate for a fight since the war.

You're right, it can have done nothing for boxing's reputation, absolutely nothing. :i am genuinely amused:

All jokes aside though, and I know you can only beat what's in front of you, but do you not think klitchsko was too old at 41?
I suppose I'm just hoping that fighters pack it in at a certain age rather than risk serious injury. It's a hard old game to be in at the best of times let alone when you're past your sell by date. Ali went on far too long and look where that got him. There have been many others who've had the heart but not the tools anymore and have come unstuck. I like Joshua and hope he goes on to bigger and better things but for me last night he fought an old man who shouldn't have been there and now there's talk of a rematch which will probably last a couple of rounds make the promoters a bundle and take the piss out of the paying public.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:
Pennywise wrote:
Brookbonds73 wrote:I didn't see the fight but listened on the radio and it did indeed sound pretty decent, but let's not get carried away here. Klitchsko was a good fighter but at 41 is way way past his best which was at one stage wasn't that brilliant. Boxing has become a farce and this has done nothing to rekindle it's already tarnished reputation.

Sorry, you didn't watch it mate, that was the best Klitschko I've seen. Great fight from two great fighters, have a watch, you might change your mind.

As for Boxings reputation; the best heavyweight fight for 15 years, a new marketable young champion, biggest ppv figures for a british fight and the biggest british gate for a fight since the war.

You're right, it can have done nothing for boxing's reputation, absolutely nothing. :i am genuinely amused:

All jokes aside though, and I know you can only beat what's in front of you, but do you not think klitchsko was too old at 41?
I suppose I'm just hoping that fighters pack it in at a certain age rather than risk serious injury. It's a hard old game to be in at the best of times let alone when you're past your sell by date. Ali went on far too long and look where that got him. There have been many others who've had the heart but not the tools anymore and have come unstuck. I like Joshua and hope he goes on to bigger and better things but for me last night he fought an old man who shouldn't have been there and now there's talk of a rematch which will probably last a couple of rounds make the promoters a bundle and take the piss out of the paying public.

Klitschko was the heavyweight champion for over a decade and lost his last fight on points in a fight in which he took very little punishment.

Based on last nights fight he would still beat all but 2 or 3 fighters in the world. He's a great athlete.

I suggest you watch the fight before posting anymore nonsense, Mr Bonds. You don't want to go down the Porterman route, do you :D
2 x

Brookbonds73

Postby Brookbonds73 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Taansend wrote:
Brookbonds73 wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

Klitschko was the heavyweight champion for over a decade and lost his last fight on points in a fight in which he took very little punishment.

Based on last nights fight he would still beat all but 2 or 3 fighters in the world. He's a great athlete.

I suggest you watch the fight before posting anymore nonsense, Mr Bonds. You don't want to go down the Porterman route, do you :D

True, I shall have a butchers later on mate and tell you how Richard dunn would've dispatched them inside 5. :i am genuinely amused:
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Highlights

0 x

Brookbonds73

Postby Brookbonds73 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:37 pm

Taansend wrote:Highlights

Cheers Taans, I still think Noel quarless would've done them. :D
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 am

Pennywise wrote:

For a heavyweight to have such good foot movement is amazing,but for him to be 41 too, just borders on the ridiculous.Klitscho looked class,but somehow Joshua found a way.

If Joshua can learn a bit off him,he could be one of the Greatest ever.
1 x

jameskel

Postby jameskel » Tue May 02, 2017 3:54 pm

What I found amazing, was the way Klitschko boxed. Never seen him move like that or look so ferocious in the punch. Not taking anything away from him, but if he had fought like that for the last 10 years, he would have gone down as one of the greatest
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Tue May 02, 2017 4:43 pm

jameskel wrote:What I found amazing, was the way Klitschko boxed. Never seen him move like that or look so ferocious in the punch. Not taking anything away from him, but if he had fought like that for the last 10 years, he would have gone down as one of the greatest

Bang on, he fought like a guy with nothing to lose, shame he hadn't done the same before. His movement was just class.

I think he's gained more respect in defeat than he ever did in winning.
0 x

eastcoastclaret
Location: Chris Eubank has written a book about ethics. If it sells well, he'll write one about Kent too

Postby eastcoastclaret » Tue May 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Awesome fight fellas, klitch is 42 years of age, took one of the best uppercuts I have ever seen in the heavyweight division, and got up off the canvas 3 TIMES, the guy showed formidable heart. How people can say he is past it dumbfounds me. Yes the guy is getting on, but as said earlier, there isn't many people that could beat him. Hats off to Joshua too, be in no doubt, this guy has huge heart and proved he was a worthy winner.
My first heavyweight bout I ever saw was Ali Vs Spinks when Ali lost,I honestly thought this fight was up there with the best I have ever seen. 4 knockdowns both fighters got up and 11 rounds. Both boxers looked in amazing condition, no over weight lard arses. Fuck me, I thought middleweights offered the most action overall.
0 x
gonna need a bigger boat...my thumbs have gone weird...weleese bwian...I didn't eat the salmon mousse...nice beaver...like a glove...I have nipples Greg...the details of my life...he's not the messiah....

CambridgeIron71

Postby CambridgeIron71 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Great fight and a lot of questions answered from both fighters.

Joshua looked good but is he too muscular? A bit like Bruno was. Muscle is not great for endurance and while he punched hard he did seem to lack a bit of speed in his movement. Muscle contains carbs which give an explosive short burst of energy but then take time to refill. Look at a 100m runner compared to a middle distance runner for example. It's getting that balance I guess. It's only the third time he's been past 3 rounds in his professional career and he's relied on hitting his opponents hard enough and quick enough up till now.

A couple of lads at work thought Joshua was hanging on rounds 7,8,9 but I thought he was boxing smart. He was clearly hurt and had little to offer but covered up well and got through it until he got some energy back which did seem to take a while. He looked blown out quickly after rounds 5 and 11 which he started in similar ways and there's not many heavyweights that would have got up from those connected punches. Still don't know how that uppercut didn't send Vlad sparko.

"The road to Klitscho" for those who haven't seen it is a good watch. BBC iPlayer. They follow Joshua round for 2 years before the fight and seems to be a real down to earth genuine fella.

He's definitely got the potential to dominate this division for a while.
2 x
Pretty bubbles in the air.

Return to “Topical Topics”