F1 2017

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Gandalf

Re: F1 2017

Postby Gandalf » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Noni wrote:Vettel wins in Brazil with Bottas 2nd and Kimi 3rd....

After a lousy qualifation for Hamilton and crashing out in Q1. He did well to come back with 4th place... Got to be honest, very disappointed with Bottas's performance, getting pole and not really threatening Vettel at all after he took the lead at the start.. :?

Funny they told Bottas to close the gap on Vettel,to undercut him,with a pit stop,then
seemed to pit him before he was close enough to come out cleanly in front of him..weird..

Yeah Bottas been off the pace way to much this year,really can't see a new contract for him..

Reckon Lewis done that on purpose,fancied a bit of fun racing....... :i am genuinely amused:

Keep in mind the radio communications you hear on television are delayed. So Bottas may have receive that message a few laps earlier. So I guess he was asked to close the gap - but just couldn't.
0 x

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Noni wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Agreed. Bottas has been a disappointment - especially after showing such promise at Williams.
But maybe his performances just highlight how good Hamilton is. Despite what many think of him as a person, we are witnessing one of the all-time greats. That recovery drive was a masterclass.

I agree, pundits don't always class Hamilton with the greats, so I've noticed.. :( If Bottas's performance is anything to go by, then Hamilton is doing a fantastic job. Despite Mercedes great performance, the car is a dog to drive.

Always hard to ascertain just how great a driver is as the only real measure are teammates.
Senna saw off Prost from McLaren and Williams. Hamilton did much the same to Alonso. So there's a great case for both. Schumacher and Vettel by contrast rarely had a challenging teammate. Ferrari operated a pretty clear two tier system in Schumacher's era. And Vettel jumped from a challenging young driver at RB, who appeared to have the measure of him, to a past-his-best Kimi at Ferrari.
Hard to think of another sport where greatness is as debatable.

Don't forget Schumacher also bottled it. As you point out Schumacher was a clear No.1 with a say in who would be his No.2.
But as soon as Ferrari say "We're hiring Kimi for the other car" Schumacher announced his retirement. That was a shame because I really think Kimi would have had the measure of him.
1 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:18 am

Gandalf wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:
Noni wrote:
I agree, pundits don't always class Hamilton with the greats, so I've noticed.. :( If Bottas's performance is anything to go by, then Hamilton is doing a fantastic job. Despite Mercedes great performance, the car is a dog to drive.

Always hard to ascertain just how great a driver is as the only real measure are teammates.
Senna saw off Prost from McLaren and Williams. Hamilton did much the same to Alonso. So there's a great case for both. Schumacher and Vettel by contrast rarely had a challenging teammate. Ferrari operated a pretty clear two tier system in Schumacher's era. And Vettel jumped from a challenging young driver at RB, who appeared to have the measure of him, to a past-his-best Kimi at Ferrari.
Hard to think of another sport where greatness is as debatable.

Don't forget Schumacher also bottled it. As you point out Schumacher was a clear No.1 with a say in who would be his No.2.
But as soon as Ferrari say "We're hiring Kimi for the other car" Schumacher announced his retirement. That was a shame because I really think Kimi would have had the measure of him.

There have been plenty of drivers who appear to prefer that rigid 1-2 system. Prost, Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel.
All moved on pretty sharpish when challenged.

Never a Schumacher fan. Listening to Villeneuve talk about how Schumacher crashed into Hill, and how he tried to do exactly the same to Villeneuve himself, really does highlight MS's shortcomings.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Postby Noni » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
There have been plenty of drivers who appear to prefer that rigid 1-2 system. Prost, Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel.
All moved on pretty sharpish when challenged.

Never a Schumacher fan. Listening to Villeneuve talk about how Schumacher crashed into Hill, and how he tried to do exactly the same to Villeneuve himself, really does highlight MS's shortcomings.

There is a lot of drivers I like in F1, but Vettel and Schumacher was not one of them... There were too many incidences involving both drivers, that when ever they made a mistake, often they would blame the other driver...I have never seen both these drivers admit a mistake ever..

I remember when Schumacher hit Coulthard in the pouring rain, he blamed Coulthard.

But I certainly agree, when they get close to a formidable team mate, they start running...
1 x

Marco Boogers Boots

Postby Marco Boogers Boots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:51 am

Probably controversial, but my take on F1 in 2017 is that it is shit. Very boring and shit.

MotoGP is much more entertaining; They actually race each other, right through the field. The satellite teams get on the podium - even winning once or twice a season. Rarely see that in F1.
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

Marco Boogers Boots wrote:Probably controversial, but my take on F1 in 2017 is that it is shit. Very boring and shit.

MotoGP is much more entertaining; They actually race each other, right through the field. The satellite teams get on the podium - even winning once or twice a season. Rarely see that in F1.

Agree mate,Bikes far more exciting to watch,been a few cracking races this year in Moto,
but enjoy all motorsports,my fav is actually Speedway,used to be taken to Wimbledon from the
age of about 7 always stuck with me,great atmosphere,like being at a London derby match,
but with bikes.
Still enjoy F1,find the technology,and tactics,as interesting as the racing,and loads of
respect for the Drivers,2hrs of 100% concentration,with your reflexes on the edge
the whole time takes some doing..
1 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Looks likely that Robert Kubica might take the other seat at Williams. However, complications have stopped the signing due to insurance reasons, whilst he was injured.. This may cause the Polish driver to pay back some of the money...? He is due another test with Williams to confirm his position within the team.
0 x

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:23 am

Noni wrote:Looks likely that Robert Kubica might take the other seat at Williams. However, complications have stopped the signing due to insurance reasons, whilst he was injured.. This may cause the Polish driver to pay back some of the money...? He is due another test with Williams to confirm his position within the team.

The insurance issue is what has prevented him from competing in a race this year. Paying back the insurance money for a single race just isn't worth it. But for a whole season (or more) is a different story.
I think it makes sense for Williams to take him, simply for financial reasons. The publicity will be massive, which will please the sponsors and will likely bring in more.
Williams need the money right now and need to bide their time until the budget cap comes it. They are one of the teams that will really benefit from that.
1 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Noni wrote:Looks likely that Robert Kubica might take the other seat at Williams. However, complications have stopped the signing due to insurance reasons, whilst he was injured.. This may cause the Polish driver to pay back some of the money...? He is due another test with Williams to confirm his position within the team.

The insurance issue is what has prevented him from competing in a race this year. Paying back the insurance money for a single race just isn't worth it. But for a whole season (or more) is a different story.
I think it makes sense for Williams to take him, simply for financial reasons. The publicity will be massive, which will please the sponsors and will likely bring in more.
Williams need the money right now and need to bide their time until the budget cap comes it. They are one of the teams that will really benefit from that.

I agree!.............. :)

Bottas on pole................ :shock: , Hamilton 2nd, Vettel 3rd.... Might be a Hamilton win here..
0 x

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Well that was an anticlimax. I hope Marco Boogers Boots wasn't watching that! :i am genuinely amused:
1 x

Return to “Topical Topics”