Election Thread

News, Banter and anything else non football!!

Who You Going To Vote For?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:19 am

Conservative
44%
Labour
33%
Liberal Democrats
6%
Green
2%
Scottish Lot
2%
UKIP
6%
Someone else
8%

Total votes: 52

frogiron

Re: Election Thread

Postby frogiron » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:17 pm

If anyone has ever tried to get a major decision through a committee or perhaps management / union negotiation, you will know how fucking ludicrous, inhibiting, derailing, nonsensical such a method is. They are rife with internecine squabbling and personal vendettas. You may as well try and govern using a fucking speak and spell and a magic robot quiz game (if you are under 40, just Google it).

PR would do nothing but ensure that the only decision made is no decision. Or, worse, that decisions of a national nature like the funding of the NHS are decided by some tiny little fringe party - the "Save Twittingham Village Hall" Party or the like, who hold the vital balance of power sufficient for the government to achieve a majority.

Fuck that.

As for the liberals gaining more power and therefore changing the face of politics. Well, yes. We could indeed have had a party holding the reins of power whose leader conducted a secret 10 year affair with another man, colluding with his powerful friends to threaten the press and his lover with lord knows what to prevent them from ever revealing the fact. The lover's dog was was then shot dead, in an apparent attempted murder, by a hired gunman when he refused to be silenced about the affair. He - and the hired gunman - accused said leader of hiring the "hit man".

Of course, being the political establishment, Jeremy Thorpe could not possibly have been involved in such nastiness and was cleared. Police were investigating claims of suppression of evidence at the trial when he died.

The bottom line is that younger people were not there the last time we had a left wing labour government. I was. It was shit.

It was not until Thatcher gained power that the working classes were truly freed from their pre-determined position in life. It was she who removed many of the barriers that existed, and allowed oiks like me to avoid our accepted post comprehensive school destiny of working in some fucking factory or engineering works.

Labour? Never did fuck all for me. They did fuck all for most people apart from Union Officials and state employees.

But most of the young of today are so dumb. So monumentally thick. If it can be compressed into a snappy two minute vid on YouTube (the limit of their attention span), they believe it. Doesn't matter what all those old farts say - what the fuck do they know?

Jezza will make University education free. He'll repay your student loans. He'll increase the minimum wage. He'll increase benefits. He'll spend much more on the NHS. And the environment. He will increase employment. He'll reduce taxes. Everyone will have a Porsche and a four bed detached. Free drugs for all and a holiday in Thailand where you can find the real you once a year while undergoing intense Raiki. Course he will you gullible fucking twits.

Here's a little thought for any soap dodgers out there. try your expensively gained University fucking logic on this one:

Being a clear vote grabber, if it was that easy, then why aren’t the Tories doing it?
1 x

h69

Postby h69 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:26 pm

frogiron wrote:The bottom line is that younger people were not there the last time we had a left wing labour government. I was. It was shit.

It was not until Thatcher gained power that the working classes were truly freed from their pre-determined position in life. It was she who removed many of the barriers that existed, and allowed oiks like me to avoid our accepted post comprehensive school destiny of working in some fucking factory or engineering works.

Labour? Never did fuck all for me. They did fuck all for most people apart from Union Officials and state employees.

But most of the young of today are so dumb. So monumentally thick. If it can be compressed into a snappy two minute vid on YouTube (the limit of their attention span), they believe it. Doesn't matter what all those old farts say - what the fuck do they know?

Jezza will make University education free. He'll repay your student loans. He'll increase the minimum wage. He'll increase benefits. He'll spend much more on the NHS. And the environment. He will increase employment. He'll reduce taxes. Everyone will have a Porsche and a four bed detached. Free drugs for all and a holiday in Thailand where you can find the real you once a year while undergoing intense Raiki. Course he will you gullible fucking twits.

Totally agree....I was also around during the last left wing labour govt (albeit at school). Some of the older people falling for this though have no excuse or a fucking bad memory.
0 x

Hammerwell

Postby Hammerwell » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Lmfao @ This page !!

So all I've read is '' if you vote Labour , your lazy , workshy and thick '' . Probably got memory loss and are to blame for us having a deficit ........... :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: Lets not forget it was them who bailed out the banks , ''they keep saying'' , ( even though that Tory bloke David Cameron was saying give them more ) .............. :o

But yes they have opened the boarders to unlimited immigration , they do over spend while in power , but TBH without seeing any figures and stuff like that it would be hard to comment too much as we do need housing , NHS, transport etc . But least they tried to keep it British owned .

But if you vote Tory then your the worlds brainiest , the most hardest worker , without you lot there would be no jobs , industry , future or nothing for our next generations .

But it the tories who sold off the British owned assets , public services , want privatisation of the NHS , ( mainly sold of too their party donners , already done the dentists , ) they sold royal mail to their chums for a knock down price , they penalised some of the most vulnerable people in our society by taking care and support away from them , while rewarding tax cuts for the rich . They keep our nurses on a 1% pay rise for years btw , whilst takin a 22% pay rise for themselves as well as expenses ... Their DWP minister said people who are on bennifits can and should live on £30 pw , bills and food yet its ok for him to put a £30 expenses tab for 1 breakfast :shock: whilst the Tory Prime minister at the time got looked into for tax evasion and offshore accounts :o

The end of the day the list could go on for both parties as they are both in it for themselves ...... I'd like to know what you call your fellow Tory voters that changed to Labour or UKIP etc ?? Are they also thick and workshy scroungers , same as the Labour voters who turn Tory , is that because they now have Jobs ??

People will vote for what ever they see fit at the time , if it isn't a Tory vote it doesn't mean your a drop out in life , I'm fully independent , I own my house outright , I own my car and I support myself financially and I will continue for the rest of my life , ( im only 42 now , how many tories are still getting up to pay for theirs ?? ) , ive paid taxes but never claimed benefits . it doesnt bother me that someone might just be getting a few quid for free as most cases are genuine and in need of help , some are not but imo thats for the docs to decide not MPs .. yeah I hate seeing ones that I presume can work, not working but I don't know their circumstances , I do know if life was so great on benefits then we'd all be on them , BTW it's pensioners that are the biggest burden on the welfare benefits , maybe we should stop them from receiving them , I mean its not like we are gunna get ours now is it .....

The whole political system is fucked up and doesn't work for anyone hardly , left or right they all get told how to run the country by the businesses and banks etc and non of it is for the everyday person , we are just there to things going and to make others richer ........

So IMO if you vote left or right then your just as deluded as your claiming everyone else to be .........
2 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm so gutted not hearing the Queens speech, delayed by May and her cabinet!..... :i am genuinely amused: Looks like most of her policies will have a re-think over this week!!... :roll:
1 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Noni wrote:I'm so gutted not hearing the Queens speech, delayed by May and her cabinet!..... :i am genuinely amused: Looks like most of her policies will have a re-think over this week!!... :roll:

They fucking need to.

All was hunky dory. A 20 point lead in the polls and a snap election.

Well if 7 weeks is snap I dread to think what a prolonged campaign would be. 3 years ?

But that notwithstanding and even with the charisma of a fridge, what could possibly go wrong ?

Well apart from the bearded commie having nothing to lose and May everything, along comes the so-called dementia tax. Thought of by her trusted aide Nick Timothy, a man loathed by many members of her own cabinet. In a nutshell and it's a tad more complicated than that but the young vote labour, the old vote Tory. So let's alienate a million of our voters.

He fell on his sword yesterday. May wanted to keep him on but someone in the corridors of power said something along the lines of 'Theresa. You may be a stupid bitch but don't become a cunt as well'. 300 years ago, Timothy would have been facing the axe at the Tower for his lunacy. Of course social care for the elderly is something that needs addressing but you don't put it in the manifesto when you rely on votes. My mother-in-law, the witch, has never voted anything but Conservative. She's 76. And her Dumfries constituency was grabbed by the Tories from Jimmy Krankie's mob. But she voted Lib Dem this time.

So in the immortal words of Edmund Blackadder when asked by the Prince Regent what he'd like to change in a proposed speech to the nation.

The reply was all of it.
1 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

whu

Postby whu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Hammerwell wrote:Lmfao @ This page !!

So all I've read is '' if you vote Labour , your lazy , workshy and thick '' . Probably got memory loss and are to blame for us having a deficit ........... :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: Lets not forget it was them who bailed out the banks , ''they keep saying'' , ( even though that Tory bloke David Cameron was saying give them more ) .............. :o

But yes they have opened the boarders to unlimited immigration , they do over spend while in power , but TBH without seeing any figures and stuff like that it would be hard to comment too much as we do need housing , NHS, transport etc . But least they tried to keep it British owned .

But if you vote Tory then your the worlds brainiest , the most hardest worker , without you lot there would be no jobs , industry , future or nothing for our next generations .

But it the tories who sold off the British owned assets , public services , want privatisation of the NHS , ( mainly sold of too their party donners , already done the dentists , ) they sold royal mail to their chums for a knock down price , they penalised some of the most vulnerable people in our society by taking care and support away from them , while rewarding tax cuts for the rich . They keep our nurses on a 1% pay rise for years btw , whilst takin a 22% pay rise for themselves as well as expenses ... Their DWP minister said people who are on bennifits can and should live on £30 pw , bills and food yet its ok for him to put a £30 expenses tab for 1 breakfast :shock: whilst the Tory Prime minister at the time got looked into for tax evasion and offshore accounts :o

The end of the day the list could go on for both parties as they are both in it for themselves ...... I'd like to know what you call your fellow Tory voters that changed to Labour or UKIP etc ?? Are they also thick and workshy scroungers , same as the Labour voters who turn Tory , is that because they now have Jobs ??

People will vote for what ever they see fit at the time , if it isn't a Tory vote it doesn't mean your a drop out in life , I'm fully independent , I own my house outright , I own my car and I support myself financially and I will continue for the rest of my life , ( im only 42 now , how many tories are still getting up to pay for theirs ?? ) , ive paid taxes but never claimed benefits . it doesnt bother me that someone might just be getting a few quid for free as most cases are genuine and in need of help , some are not but imo thats for the docs to decide not MPs .. yeah I hate seeing ones that I presume can work, not working but I don't know their circumstances , I do know if life was so great on benefits then we'd all be on them , BTW it's pensioners that are the biggest burden on the welfare benefits , maybe we should stop them from receiving them , I mean its not like we are gunna get ours now is it .....

The whole political system is fucked up and doesn't work for anyone hardly , left or right they all get told how to run the country by the businesses and banks etc and non of it is for the everyday person , we are just there to things going and to make others richer ........

So IMO if you vote left or right then your just as deluded as your claiming everyone else to be .........

they couldn't make the nationalised industries work, billions were being pumped in by the taxpayer to shore them up

billions that could have gone elsewhere

if the unions played the game, it genuinely could have worked but they saw the bosses as the enemy

name me one successful business making money, where workers and bosses are continually at loggerheads?

haemorrhaging money for years = shut it or let someone else try
0 x
NO SURRENDER

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:26 am

whu wrote:

they couldn't make the nationalised industries work, billions were being pumped in by the taxpayer to shore them up

billions that could have gone elsewhere

if the unions played the game, it genuinely could have worked but they saw the bosses as the enemy

name me one successful business making money, where workers and bosses are continually at loggerheads?

haemorrhaging money for years = shut it or let someone else try

The problem is that the middle way has been lost. Some things are better privatised, some things aren't (though everything sold off seems criminally undervalued). And nothing essential should be privatised without some heavy duty regulation in place -- price fixing energy companies anyone?
The tax payer STILL props up the power industry, the railways, and, when the shit hits the fan, private enterprises deemed too big to fail.
My taxes are paying for HS2, my taxes are paying for the Chinese to build a nuclear power station, and yet it's private companies that will make huge profits. In many cases companies avoiding paying their own taxes... run by people who probably avoid paying their full whack too. There is something rotten in the state of Denmark.
2 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

h69

Postby h69 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:06 am

I dont think a massive amount DID change from Tory to0 Labour though thats the thing. The extra votes came from the young that had previously not voted before hence the record turnout and why the Tories got a record share this time round.

Its all very well to say, lets nationalise everything but whether you agree with it or not, simply claiming it doesnt count towards the costing is classic labour spin on overspending.....oh, its an investment so it doesnt count....well when is someone going to wake up in the labour party and realise that investments start with you putting money in.

whether you care or not about someone getting something free is irrelevant....the issue I have is that every time Labour have got into power they have made such a mess of the economy its taken decades to fix....the more left wing, the more debt. Thats my issue and it seems many have amnesia if they are older.

Not all labour supporters are workshy but many are gullible in my opinion and there are far too many people on benefits in this country that should not be.
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 am

Whiskyman wrote:
mkhammer wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Good point. But, and I'm also speaking as a traditional Tory voter, there is another way of looking at it. Even by attracting a vote of 44 % whichever way you look at it there were more people who didn't want a Conservative government than did.

As you can probably guess already I am very much in favur of PR. That would eliminate the nonsense of tactical voting and should at least mean that people can vote according to their political beliefs.

Even when Blair won his landslide in 97 he only got 43% of the vote. Or, putting it another way 57% of the country didn't vote for him. Yet his majority in the house was the biggest I can ever recall. And if, as you say, the Tories got 44% of the popular vote this time but couldn't form a proper Conservative government, it does expose the flaws in the present system.

At the last election UKIP won 1 seat I believe. Yet their percentage of the vote nationally only got them 1/650th of the seats in that parliament. Surely that is wrong? And I say that as someone who has no time for UKIP.

Of course there are potential difficulties with PR. People will always say we'll end up with a system like in Italy where the government changes on a regular basis. But PR works perfectly well in Germany too. And that country has had the best managed economy in the world since the second world war. And I think our psyche in the UK is more similar to the Germans than the Italians.

Get what your saying whiskey I think, but if I am getting it right and your saying people who don't vote
would be anti Tory,the fact that they didn't vote Labour either,also makes them anti Labour.
So we either disregard,or we have to split the way they would have voted if they were forced to.

I think the flaw in the system is people not recognising when a party has won an election,even
if not a majority.
You get the same points for a hard fought 1-0 win as you do for a 5-0 thrashing...
Which we all know about.. :i am genuinely amused:
So the winning party must be allowed to govern,it's not like it's level,I mean it is 60 seats...

I agree with the PR thing,but for the life of me can't work a system out that would suit
this country and the way it's set up.
( I've just stuck something up about the PR thing on here,so won't bore you anymore.. :i am genuinely amused: )

Just to avoid confusion I'm basing everything on the number of votes cast. I don't think any consideration can be made, or assumptions on who they might vote for, about people who didn't bother to exercise their democratic right.

Simply put what I'm actually saying is that, even when the government has a massive, Blairlike, majority if you add up the total votes cast more people actually voted for someone else than voted Labour. And imo that isn't truly democratic.

Sorry mate thought you meant that people who didn't vote were against a winning party..

Yeah Def think a PR System in the commons on certain issues should somehow be introduced.
So even if a party only has a few seats,their percentage of public support,should be recognised.
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:39 am

frogiron wrote:If anyone has ever tried to get a major decision through a committee or perhaps management / union negotiation, you will know how fucking ludicrous, inhibiting, derailing, nonsensical such a method is. They are rife with internecine squabbling and personal vendettas. You may as well try and govern using a fucking speak and spell and a magic robot quiz game (if you are under 40, just Google it).

PR would do nothing but ensure that the only decision made is no decision. Or, worse, that decisions of a national nature like the funding of the NHS are decided by some tiny little fringe party - the "Save Twittingham Village Hall" Party or the like, who hold the vital balance of power sufficient for the government to achieve a majority.

Fuck that.

As for the liberals gaining more power and therefore changing the face of politics. Well, yes. We could indeed have had a party holding the reins of power whose leader conducted a secret 10 year affair with another man, colluding with his powerful friends to threaten the press and his lover with lord knows what to prevent them from ever revealing the fact. The lover's dog was was then shot dead, in an apparent attempted murder, by a hired gunman when he refused to be silenced about the affair. He - and the hired gunman - accused said leader of hiring the "hit man".

Of course, being the political establishment, Jeremy Thorpe could not possibly have been involved in such nastiness and was cleared. Police were investigating claims of suppression of evidence at the trial when he died.

The bottom line is that younger people were not there the last time we had a left wing labour government. I was. It was shit.

Here's a little thought for any soap dodgers out there. try your expensively gained University fucking logic on this one:

Being a clear vote grabber, if it was that easy, then why aren’t the Tories doing it?

Thing is Frog,as much as I want the Tories in,and with our present System it's pretty much
insures that only the big 2 will ever get in.
When I see the way this system reflects the actual public opinion in the house sometimes,
I'm uncomfortable with it.
Just recently with the UKIP thing last time something like 4.5 Million votes 1 representative
SNP..Approx 3.5 million if I recall right ...50 Representatives.
So during the course of parliament,The SNP as we Know will try and block anything the Tories do
for the hell of it,but if we had a true reflection of public opinion in the house,with Ukip having
the the same or even bigger say,running the Government would be a hole lot easier.
It's about reflecting what the Public want in the house and the present system doesn't always
let this happen.

With the Liberal thing I used as an example about PR..
Libs 20% of the vote over 6million =14 seats
Tories and Labour 37% each 11.5 million votes attained them both over 300 seats...
C'mon you can see that just isn't fair.
Especially at the time,from the way I see it anyway,what we had was a country run by
trade unions Car/coal workers holding the country to ransom with 15-20 pay rises every
year,striking every month or so because they could,makes me so angry even now.
We had an ineffectual Party Leaders in Heath and Wilson who could do diddley about it.
The country was in a shit state,going under big time.
As I see it the country had had enough and no where else to turn,turned to the Libs
with their at the time middle of the road stance.
So some 6 million people voted for them but ended up with no say in Parliament.

I'm no conspiracy theorist,but the the Libs were a huge threat to BOTH the Cons and Labs
at the time,and certainly both could do without them rising to power......
I'll leave it at that..

But I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post mate... :D
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”