Mayweather v McGregor

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Gonzo

Mayweather v McGregor

Postby Gonzo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:58 am

Is on and likely to be one of the richest fights if not the richest fight of all-time.

We are looking a guy who has won all of his 49 fights and is one of the greats against a guy who has never had a boxing match before.

Sure they both participate in combat sports but McGregor has no more chance than the world badminton champion would have in a tennis match against Rafa Nadal.

It's not all bad though, the build-up will be electric as Mcgregor will ramp-up trash talking to a whole new level as he always does. He talks so well that he might even convince people that he can win but it would take a miracle.

Really the fight should not last more that 30 seconds on paper but it's very unlikely that Mayweather will be able to dispatch a bloke who is used to getting hit by bigger men than Mayweather who wear 4oz gloves and fights 5 min rounds.

I wouldn't expect Mcgregor to lay a glove on Mayweather who is used to slipping punches from the best boxers in the world but the one slim chance Mcgregor has is his explosive left hand. I guess Floyd will insist on 10oz gloves so perhaps even that edge will be taken away but one thing is very certain . . . . . . . . Both fighters will earn a fortune
1 x

grandad

Re: Mayweather v McGregor

Postby grandad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Gonzo wrote:Is on and likely to be one of the richest fights if not the richest fight of all-time.

We are looking a guy who has won all of his 49 fights and is one of the greats against a guy who has never had a boxing match before.

Sure they both participate in combat sports but McGregor has no more chance than the world badminton champion would have in a tennis match against Rafa Nadal.

It's not all bad though, the build-up will be electric as Mcgregor will ramp-up trash talking to a whole new level as he always does. He talks so well that he might even convince people that he can win but it would take a miracle.

Really the fight should not last more that 30 seconds on paper but it's very unlikely that Mayweather will be able to dispatch a bloke who is used to getting hit by bigger men than Mayweather who wear 4oz gloves and fights 5 min rounds.

I wouldn't expect Mcgregor to lay a glove on Mayweather who is used to slipping punches from the best boxers in the world but the one slim chance Mcgregor has is his explosive left hand. I guess Floyd will insist on 10oz gloves so perhaps even that edge will be taken away but one thing is very certain . . . . . . . . Both fighters will earn a fortune

Farce if you ask me mate
2 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 pm

grandad wrote:
Gonzo wrote:Is on and likely to be one of the richest fights if not the richest fight of all-time.

Farce if you ask me mate

Yep. goodpost:)
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

eastcoastclaret
Location: Chris Eubank has written a book about ethics. If it sells well, he'll write one about Kent too

Postby eastcoastclaret » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Forgive me fellas, Does the result of this fight count in Mayweathers record?

Personally I think this is a joke and does not look good for boxing, but hey ho it's all about the money...
1 x
gonna need a bigger boat...my thumbs have gone weird...weleese bwian...I didn't eat the salmon mousse...nice beaver...like a glove...I have nipples Greg...the details of my life...he's not the messiah....

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 pm

eastcoastclaret wrote:Forgive me fellas, Does the result of this fight count in Mayweathers record?

Personally I think this is a joke and does not look good for boxing, but hey ho it's all about the money...

I wondered the same thing earlier but McGregor has a professional boxing licence so I'm sure it will.

I don't think it's bad for boxing because it will be PPV and those who aren't interested won't watch it plus boxing is in rude health with some excellent match-ups this year.

Arguably the best fighter in history is fighting a novice so it should be over in 30 seconds really and obviously the longer it goes on the worse it is for boxing. Of course the flip side is that if Mcgregor is still there in rounds 4,5,6. . . . then it's really good for MMA and will attract more fans.

Having said that I think people are smart enough to separate this event from boxing and if McGregor survives past the first few seconds (and let's be fair he really shouldn't given the gulf in expertise) it will reflect far more on Mayweather than boxing as a whole.

I tell you something though . . . . . McGregor will really fancy himself. I used to think it was all bravado and trash talk but he backs it up. He's fought across three weight divisions and is the only fighter to have held the title at two weights at the same time.

He's also a bigger man than Mayweather, is a huge puncher and will not be bothered if he has to take a load of blows in order to get his own shots off.

He's such a good talker that the longer the press circus goes on the more he will convince people that he can win.

I can't imagine that he'll actually be able to hit mayweather at all never mind connect with his chin and even if he did he has a pillow on the end of his arm.

MMA is a winner, McGregor will be a winner $$$$$$, Mayweather gets his big 50 plus a bundle of dosh and boxing doesn't lose because the purists will watch Golovkin v Canelo.
0 x

CambridgeIron71

Postby CambridgeIron71 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Estimated $150M purse per fighter. I think Mayweather just sat back and watched the offers come in and this one he couldn't refuse. Will make him 50-0 if he wins to overtake Marciano.

As Gonzo says, Mayweather is the master at avoiding getting hit and you would think he could stop this any round he liked.
0 x
Pretty bubbles in the air.

Brookbonds73

Postby Brookbonds73 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:01 am

I remember a fight years ago when a British no hoper fought Mike Tyson over here and had advertising on the soles of his boxing boots, in order that should he be consistently knocked down, he'd earn himself and the advertisers a few quid. Needless to say Tyson duly delivered and nearly killed him. But he made a few quid so all was well.
I suspect this farce won't last long, it really shouldn't given the gulf in class, but like as already stated both men will make a fortune. Far better fighters have tried to land punches on Mayweather and have come unstuck, I suspect this will be the case again. As the old saying goes "You can't hit, what you can't catch"
Three rounds, and I'm being kind.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 am

If by some miracle Mcgregor connects and KO's Mayweather, it's over for boxing.

Can't see it, but he does have a punchers chance....not much of one, but he only needs to get lucky once.
0 x

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Funnily enough someone was complaining on the radio today that this was harming the Ward v Kovalev fight (which is this weekend btw and the Mayweather fight is at the end of August).

His reasoning was that the PPV's a tickets were down as a result.

What a load of old shite. . . . . . That previous fight between Ward & Kovalev stunk the place out. It was the biggest 'cheat-fest' I've seen for some time and was refereed appallingly. If the rematch is doing shit figures it has everything to do with the spoiling tactics and lack of entertainment in the first fight and nothing to do with Conor McGregor.
0 x

belfasthammer

Postby belfasthammer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:49 am

It is a farce but an entertaining one
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”