The Ashes - Official Thread

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Pennywise

Re: The Ashes - Official Thread

Postby Pennywise » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 am

terrya1965 wrote:Anderson "we were in every test"

If he thinks that,then we have no chance in the future.

I know we have lost 5-0 a few times,but I can`t remember a Touring Ashes Team to be this bad.

A total disaster. :(

You've got a fucking short memory then Tel. :i am genuinely amused:

Same result last year in India, we're a good side in our conditions, but to be a great side you need to be good in all conditions.

For that we need spinners who can actually turn the ball and quicks who are actually quick.
1 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 am

You can analyse it all you want.

Conditions, quality of the opposition, the unavailability of our best all-rounder, but I can sum it up in four words.

Spineless bunch of tossers.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 am

Pennywise wrote:

I know we have lost 5-0 a few times,but I can`t remember a Touring Ashes Team to be this bad.

Same result last year in India, we're a good side in our conditions, but to be a great side you need to be good in all conditions.

For that we need spinners who can actually turn the ball and quicks who are actually quick.

They don`t seem to consider the conditions when we play in places like India and Australia.The question has to be WHY?

There are a lot of viewers who subscribed to watch the cricket.The ECB should think about us,who are putting money in their pockets.

While we are at it,why is Trevor Bayliss still in charge?
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Pennywise wrote:

To be honest a lot of this failure is down to poor shot selection. There were opportunities to apply pressure in the first 3 tests, but our batsmen got themselves out.
The last test illustrated everything that was wrong -- well under par first innings score/under little pressure Aussies get a huge score/England collapse on what was still a decent pitch.
The bowling is poor, but the batsmen, in all but one test, have given them nothing much to work with.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

To be honest a lot of this failure is down to poor shot selection. There were opportunities to apply pressure in the first 3 tests, but our batsmen got themselves out.
The last test illustrated everything that was wrong -- well under par first innings score/under little pressure Aussies get a huge score/England collapse on what was still a decent pitch.
The bowling is poor, but the batsmen, in all but one test, have given them nothing much to work with.

Mate, that isn't the biggest problem by a long way. The batsmen, as you said, weren't blown away. Poor shot selection can be remedied.

How many times did we take 10 wickets in 10 innings?
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Pennywise wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

Mate, that isn't the biggest problem by a long way. The batsmen, as you said, weren't blown away. Poor shot selection can be remedied.

If you don`t take 20 Wickets,you don`t win Test Matches.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 am

Pennywise wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

The majority of those pitches favoured the batsman. Which means you need big totals.
No chance in hell our attack was ever going to dig out the Aussies cheaply once the batting came up short.
If the pitch isn't helpful you need the pressure of runs on the board.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am

Stoneman and Vince have apparently 'shown enough' in the Ashes to keep their places for New Zealand (both averaged 25). Ballance, who has a better record than either, but still didn't get a look in during the tests, gets sent home.
It's no wonder we're fucked. The Black caps must be licking their lips.
1 x

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Pennywise wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:

The majority of those pitches favoured the batsman. Which means you need big totals.
No chance in hell our attack was ever going to dig out the Aussies cheaply once the batting came up short.
If the pitch isn't helpful you need the pressure of runs on the board.

Amazing how the Ozzies managed it though and that's the point. Nobody mentioned cheaply either Nev, just getting them out more often than not.

Fact is, as you said, we were never getting them out cheaply as we didn't have the tools to do it. If the pitch isn't helpful to seam, why on Earth are we picking guys who bowl at 80mph and rely on the pitch??

To win in Oz you need pace mate, it has been forever thus.
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 am

Neville Bartos wrote:Stoneman and Vince have apparently 'shown enough' in the Ashes to keep their places for New Zealand (both averaged 25). Ballance, who has a better record than either, but still didn't get a look in during the tests, gets sent home.
It's no wonder we're fucked. The Black caps must be licking their lips.

You do have to wonder how the minds of the selectors work,don`t you? :?
1 x

Return to “Topical Topics”