The Ashes - Official Thread

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Newmarket

Re: The Ashes - Official Thread

Postby Newmarket » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:56 pm

mkhammer wrote:Silly quiz.but bit of fun...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41905072

Got 67%.......Steve Waugh....be happy with that,feeling there's a couple of you will beat it tho..

I couldn’t . 56% also Steve Waugh .

Always thought his brother was better anyway :D
0 x

Macca666

Postby Macca666 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:05 pm

To suggest Jimmy Anderson is not a world class bowler is absolute rubbish, 5th highest wicket taker in test cricket, could quite easily pass glenn McGrath mark this coming summer.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:58 pm

Macca666 wrote:To suggest Jimmy Anderson is not a world class bowler is absolute rubbish, 5th highest wicket taker in test cricket, could quite easily pass glenn McGrath mark this coming summer.

Anderson is world class in the right conditions.
Just to highlight that, at home his average is just over 24. Bang on world class.
Away from home it's 34.5. Which is ordinary bordering on mildly shite.
For comparisons sake, Dale Steyn averages 21 at home and 23.5 away.
And historically, Bob Willis averaged 23.5 at home and 27 away.

I do enjoy cricket stats. :D
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Macca666

Postby Macca666 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:49 am

Don't care what the stats say, stats don't win matches wickets do, steyn and Willis are and were excellent bowlers not doubting that. Here's a stat for you Steve smith averaging over 63 stats suggest he's the second best test batsman after bradman, Steve smith is a flat track bully bang average when the ball does a little, look how shit he looked in Adelaide currently averaging about 13 in Bangladesh, think it's fair to say stats don't always tell the full story.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:10 am

Macca666 wrote:Don't care what the stats say, stats don't win matches wickets do, steyn and Willis are and were excellent bowlers not doubting that. Here's a stat for you Steve smith averaging over 63 stats suggest he's the second best test batsman after bradman, Steve smith is a flat track bully bang average when the ball does a little, look how shit he looked in Adelaide currently averaging about 13 in Bangladesh, think it's fair to say stats don't always tell the full story.

Anderson's numbers accurately reflect that he's far more ineffective than comparable bowlers when conditions don't suit him.
As you say wickets win matches, and Anderson takes a lot less wickets when he's on the road. Just 165 of 522. For McGrath it's 260 of 563 and for Walsh it's 290 out of 519.
There's nothing world class about Anderson away from English conditions.
Smith's batting is phenomenal. He definitely likes a flat track, but he seems to make runs everywhere -- averages 57+ away from those Aussie tracks.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Moses

Postby Moses » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:21 am

palerider wrote:
Moses wrote:Agree, Cook has earned himself grace with this knock, but it can't be like the Edgbaston knock, surrounded by an average of 15. It doesn't matter what you've done, a year of horrific form is too much. 2 years of poor form, as in Broad's case, should mean you are dropped, no matter who you are. I agree about the alternatives, and I'm not convinced about Stoneman, but hopefully Hameed will have a good summer as he is the future. I'd fast track Dan Lawrence into the team as well, put him in at 5 and move Malan up to 3.

Haven't seen anything of Garton but they obviously see something in him, I really do hold out hope for the Overton brothers though, big powerful lads with pace and fight, can both hold a bat as well.

I quite like Stoneman. Of all the openers we've tried since Strauss retired he's the best. I hope Hameed does come good as he has a sound technique but time will tell. I agree about Dan Lawrence but not sure Malan should bat 3. But apart from one knock in the 1st test when he ran himself out, Vince hasn't convinced. I'd seriously consider moving Root to 3 and putting Stokes in at 4 as he's as good as anyone there. And we need to find a spinner. Ali isn't good enough.

Apart from being quick, Garton's also left-arm, so a bit of variation. The problem when touring is all our bowlers are the same and Anderson can't go on forever. The leading wicket-taker in England this year was Jamie Porter who bowls not much over 80 mph. We've got plenty of them.

Root doesn't want to bat at 3, Stokes could potentially move up the order but he needs to prove himself a bit more, firstly though he needs to fucking play. I think Malan has the temperament to play 3, Vince is so talented but just seems to throw his wicket away.
0 x
It takes guts to be gentle and kind.

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 am

mkhammer wrote:Silly quiz.but bit of fun...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41905072

Got 67%.......Steve Waugh....be happy with that,feeling there's a couple of you will beat it tho..

70%..A bit of luck involved
0 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 am

Series already over but a chance to get back a bit of pride. And Root blows it. Again.

Two overs left in the day. So he lobs a half-volley to a fielder. Would Smith have done that ? 228-3 becomes 233-5 when Bairstow plays yet another stupid shot, but he shouldn't have been there.

Root is a fine player. But will never be a great one until he gets it into his head that there are now three different formats in cricket and you don't play the same shots in all three.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 am

palerider wrote:Series already over but a chance to get back a bit of pride. And Root blows it. Again.

Two overs left in the day. So he lobs a half-volley to a fielder. Would Smith have done that ? 228-3 becomes 233-5 when Bairstow plays yet another stupid shot, but he shouldn't have been there.

Root is a fine player. But will never be a great one until he gets it into his head that there are now three different formats in cricket and you don't play the same shots in all three.

Yeah very disappointing mate,can't say to much as haven't seen it,usually get up bout 3.30 or
so to watch but totally forgot......interest waning a bit.. :(

But your right, out to a good ball F all you can do about it,but that time of the evening,score as it
is......Shut up shop....

Bairstow was the Killer....Struggle now...YET AGAIN..
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:47 am

Yes. The Australians have collapsed from 544 - 5 to 613 - 7. If we keep this up they'll fall well shy of 900.
Carnage.
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”