The Ashes - Official Thread

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
terrya1965

Re: The Ashes - Official Thread

Post by terrya1965 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:39 pm

I agree with everything you all say lads.

Stokes was a massive miss for starters and could have made a difference in so many ways.But we all have to thank the PC Correctness in this country.

This is how it works under Liberal Britain..

Stokes protects someone and uses a bit of GBH to put them in their place..He is still waiting to see if he is going to be charged 4 months later and misses a very important Sporting event for our country.

Man shouts Racial abuse at a Footballer,which is totally wrong,within a WEEK,his sentenced and is behind bars.

Does make you wonder,dosen`t it? :(
Last edited by terrya1965 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Moses

Post by Moses » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm on board with the Bairstow shout, Ginge. The way we go about things has to change, we're too fucking nice, Joe Root is too nice, I want us to get in a few grills. But I disagree on Wood, he's too injury prone to rely on, and in the tests he has played his record is poor, 10 tests, 26 wickets at 40. The one we need is the other Overton brother, he's been a bit injury prone but he's the quicker of the 2, and I think both of them in the same side would give us something extra, and they've both got a bit of fight in them.

Terry, yes Stokes would have made a difference, but that does not excuse how pathetically bad we've been. And yes we have been pathetic, contrary to the weird plaudits given to us by our own poorly performing players, and how 'proud' Joe Root is of being 3-0 down and losing by an innings and also by 10 wickets.
0 x
It takes guts to be gentle and kind.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Root was picked as captain based on his (questionable) position as the best player in the team.
Happened with Vaughn, Strauss, Cook and Root. I've said it before, but what kind criteria is that for choosing a skipper?
He looks 12, has no charisma, and clearly has no capacity to inspire his troops.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Moses

Post by Moses » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Root is our best player, and yes it seems to have been the way with Cook & Root getting the gig because of being our best players at the time, the same as when KP got it briefly, but it's not the way it should be. You've noted Strauss there, in actual fact he was never at any point the best player in the team, but he is absolutely made to be a captain, hence why he was so successful at it. That's what we should do, identify a leader and give him the job.
0 x

Hammersaurus

Post by Hammersaurus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:13 am

Moses wrote:
Hammersaurus wrote:
Can see you know what your talking about. you should get a pundit job mate youd be good for a few laughs. :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused:
Well, Cook had made 83 runs in 6 innings (and apart from one innings against the Windies, couldn't buy a run for a year so let's wait and see) what else is wrong?

Stuart Broad, England's opening bowler, hasn't taken a 5'fer in 2 years. Big thumbs up.
It aint going to be 5-0. cook scored a double hundred and broad took 5. finished players dont do that. and any case no england players done any good this series have they. so thats whats wrong.
0 x

Moses

Post by Moses » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 am

Hammersaurus wrote:
Moses wrote:
Well, Cook had made 83 runs in 6 innings (and apart from one innings against the Windies, couldn't buy a run for a year so let's wait and see) what else is wrong?

Stuart Broad, England's opening bowler, hasn't taken a 5'fer in 2 years. Big thumbs up.
It aint going to be 5-0. cook scored a double hundred and broad took 5. finished players dont do that. and any case no england players done any good this series have they. so thats whats wrong.
So, because of an utterly turgid pitch which had nothing in it for the bowlers, we managed a draw to avoid 5-0. Tremendous. Broad took 5 for the MATCH, not in an innings, and it was his best figures for 2 years. He's an opening bowler for fuck sake, that's pathetic.

As for Cook, as I say, let's see. We've been here before after Edgbaston.

So, all in all, no real need for the laughs were there? We've still been utterly shit, and changes are needed badly.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:54 am

Moses wrote:
Hammersaurus wrote:
So, because of an utterly turgid pitch which had nothing in it for the bowlers, we managed a draw to avoid 5-0. Tremendous. Broad took 5 for the MATCH, not in an innings, and it was his best figures for 2 years. He's an opening bowler for fuck sake, that's pathetic.

As for Cook, as I say, let's see. We've been here before after Edgbaston.

So, all in all, no real need for the laughs were there? We've still been utterly shit, and changes are needed badly.
I agree. But I'd not discard Cook just yet as there are no alternatives. Jamie Overton is quick but always injured but Broad needs to go. There's a lad at Sussex called Garton who's raw but fast. He should be introduced.

As for the rest, Stokes will obviously improve the team but we've been fucking useless. As we always are as soon as we step off a plane.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Moses

Post by Moses » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 am

Agree, Cook has earned himself grace with this knock, but it can't be like the Edgbaston knock, surrounded by an average of 15. It doesn't matter what you've done, a year of horrific form is too much. 2 years of poor form, as in Broad's case, should mean you are dropped, no matter who you are. I agree about the alternatives, and I'm not convinced about Stoneman, but hopefully Hameed will have a good summer as he is the future. I'd fast track Dan Lawrence into the team as well, put him in at 5 and move Malan up to 3.

Haven't seen anything of Garton but they obviously see something in him, I really do hold out hope for the Overton brothers though, big powerful lads with pace and fight, can both hold a bat as well.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 am

Moses wrote:Agree, Cook has earned himself grace with this knock, but it can't be like the Edgbaston knock, surrounded by an average of 15. It doesn't matter what you've done, a year of horrific form is too much. 2 years of poor form, as in Broad's case, should mean you are dropped, no matter who you are. I agree about the alternatives, and I'm not convinced about Stoneman, but hopefully Hameed will have a good summer as he is the future. I'd fast track Dan Lawrence into the team as well, put him in at 5 and move Malan up to 3.

Haven't seen anything of Garton but they obviously see something in him, I really do hold out hope for the Overton brothers though, big powerful lads with pace and fight, can both hold a bat as well.
I quite like Stoneman. Of all the openers we've tried since Strauss retired he's the best. I hope Hameed does come good as he has a sound technique but time will tell. I agree about Dan Lawrence but not sure Malan should bat 3. But apart from one knock in the 1st test when he ran himself out, Vince hasn't convinced. I'd seriously consider moving Root to 3 and putting Stokes in at 4 as he's as good as anyone there. And we need to find a spinner. Ali isn't good enough.

Apart from being quick, Garton's also left-arm, so a bit of variation. The problem when touring is all our bowlers are the same and Anderson can't go on forever. The leading wicket-taker in England this year was Jamie Porter who bowls not much over 80 mph. We've got plenty of them.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:36 am

Silly quiz.but bit of fun...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41905072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got 67%.......Steve Waugh....be happy with that,feeling there's a couple of you will beat it tho..
0 x

Social Media