When I was a kid

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Hammerite

Re: When I was a kid

Postby Hammerite » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am

Newmarket wrote:
grandad wrote:Run outs

Gobs

Five stones

Jubberlys

Bonanza

HR puff n stuff

Calermne lotion for chicken pox

A home game boxing day ( cheers cunts )

HR Pufnstuff :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused:

Who's your friend when things get rough :D
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm

h69 wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:Favourite TV shows 'when I was a kid'.
Tiswas, Magpie, Mr. Benn, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Dark Tower (it was a schools show, but it was awesome anyway), Chorlton and the Wheelies, Rainbow (I nearly cried when I found out Geoffrey was working at a supermarket a few years back), Trumpton, Chigley and Camberwick Green.

From the 60s right through to the 90s, my dad ran Cabaret clubs and brought over some big stars from the states, they were the type of club you could watch Tom Jones or Shirley Bassey etc and have a meal and a dance all in....Caesars Palace in Luton, Blazers in Windsor and then Savvas in Usk (S. Wales)....formerly the Stardust.

On Sunday Lunchtimes they used to have kids shows....I saw Rainbow there a few times.....They had two geezers doing the voices for George and Zippy from the soundbox and Geoffrey, Rod, Jane and Freddy were there too. When they had done a show on a Sunday lunch, they used to come to the adults evening show and be given free drinks and food all night. I remember Geoffrey chainsmoking his way through a Billy Connolly night and he got through about three bottles of champagne before being almost carried out to one of the rooms on site to sleep it all off......quality !

Saw some good and some not so good acts there over the years.

That's a great story, mate. I love the idea that Geoffrey was a bit rock n roll. :D
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:13 pm

h69 wrote:
Tiswas, Magpie, Mr. Benn, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Dark Tower (it was a schools show, but it was awesome anyway), Chorlton and the Wheelies, Rainbow (I nearly cried when I found out Geoffrey was working at a supermarket a few years back), Trumpton, Chigley and Camberwick Green.

From the 60s right through to the 90s, my dad ran Cabaret clubs and brought over some big stars from the states, they were the type of club you could watch Tom Jones or Shirley Bassey etc and have a meal and a dance all in....Caesars Palace in Luton, Blazers in Windsor and then Savvas in Usk (S. Wales)....formerly the Stardust.

On Sunday Lunchtimes they used to have kids shows....I saw Rainbow there a few times.....They had two geezers doing the voices for George and Zippy from the soundbox and Geoffrey, Rod, Jane and Freddy were there too. When they had done a show on a Sunday lunch, they used to come to the adults evening show and be given free drinks and food all night. I remember Geoffrey chainsmoking his way through a Billy Connolly night and he got through about three bottles of champagne before being almost carried out to one of the rooms on site to sleep it all off......quality !

What about Baileys,Watford?Use to go there quite a bit in the early 80`s.
0 x

grandad

Postby grandad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Party 7
1 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Power cuts.
I know we still get them once in a while but back in the 70's it seemed to be a regular occurrence. Everybody had candles at the ready!
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 pm

grandad wrote:Party 7

My Uncle was a Drainman on Whitbread and he`d get us a 10 Gallon Barrel at Christmas.

Actually reminded me of a story going to a party many moons ago..We gate crashed a party and some fella wanted to hide his beer so nobody would find it,so my mate said "Stick in the oven,nobody will know it`s there".

Someone stuck the oven on and 20 minutes later...BANG! .The oven door was blown off! :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused:
1 x

h69

Postby h69 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
h69 wrote:

What about Baileys,Watford?Use to go there quite a bit in the early 80`s.

He didnt run that one but ran the others......Baileys, along with Lakeside were competitors but my Dad was mates with the owners of both.
1 x

grandad

Postby grandad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Watching my grandad pour tea from his cup into the saucer to drink it.

Silly old cunt. i am genuinely amused
1 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

Dwayne Pipes

Postby Dwayne Pipes » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 pm

grandad wrote:Watching my grandad pour tea from his cup into the saucer to drink it.

Silly old cunt. i am genuinely amused

My old nan done that,took snuff too!!
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 am

Milk at school. It must be said I hated the stuff and wasn't at all upset when Maggie did away with it.
School houses. Herbert (yellow), Hooker (green), Keble (blue) and I think the last one was Farrah or Ferrer, but I've never been inclined to check exactly what it was (red).
I remember those house assemblies well. The art teacher, whose name I've long forgotten, would get his guitar out and we'd have a sing song. Then someone would get the house points cup -- awarded to the clever/well behaved kids.
I do wonder now if all schools had houses, house points and order marks (three of those buggers and it was a lunchtime detention).
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Return to “Topical Topics”