Ask the yank

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Neville Bartos

Re: Ask the yank

Postby Neville Bartos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:05 am

jameskel wrote:Fat cunts?

You left the ? off, Jimbo.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Вест Хам

Postby Вест Хам » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 am

Fade-and-Die wrote:
frogiron wrote:
I always thought it was named after the newspaper The World, hence the World Series.

I may be wrong.

It's a myth, monsieur

https://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

Bect - why do you lot say "named for", instead of "named after"?

Mostly hicks say "named for". I and everyone I know use "named after".

Noni wrote:Why do Americans insist on what's called the world sport of football globally around the world except America and call it soccer? While your football, which spends most of the game handling the actual ball itself, probably 70% of the time. Hardly use their feet, which is similar to our game of Rugby?.... :roll:

From what I understand, the word "soccer" was brought here by British settlers. Soccer stuck around while we developed our own version of rugger/rugby. Similar to how there's Aussie Rules Football, we have our football.

Most people know and understand that football is a term used around the world, and consider it stupid that we call football, soccer, and American rules rugby, football. But it's easier to differentiate between the two since it's gonna be hard to change the minds of people who have said soccer and football separately.

Also I think it's stupid that Americans get all the flak for calling it soccer. Canada, Australia, Japan, Korea, Ireland, South Africa, Zimbabwe (among others) all call it soccer too.

Anywho, I also think it's kinda cool, calling it soccer. Much more unique than football. Still don't think it really matters what its called. Soccer is football, football is soccer.
1 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:04 am

Chicago Bect,are you a Bears fan.....I'm a Packers Fan,Big rivalry between the two...
Have you ever been to Soldier Field,and how intense is the rivalry in town would you say,is it
part of day to day life or just when they play each other.... :D

2 part question..What made you hook up with the Irons.....

Nah 3 Part... Is it Windy.... :lol:
0 x

deanox

Postby deanox » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Giordanos or al’s Beef?

(Btw my company’s hq is in Arlington Heights so I spend quite a bit of time up there. Supposed to be flying there today but when I saw the weather forecast I decided to delay until next week).

I was talking to an American guy one day when he told me he was 1/3 Irish 1/3 Scottish 1/3 English and 1/3 German..... :lol:
2 x
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

JayK

Postby JayK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:39 pm

deanox wrote:Giordanos or al’s Beef?

(Btw my company’s hq is in Arlington Heights so I spend quite a bit of time up there. Supposed to be flying there today but when I saw the weather forecast I decided to delay until next week).

I was talking to an American guy one day when he told me he was 1/3 Irish 1/3 Scottish 1/3 English and 1/3 German..... :i am genuinely amused:

Not in charge of budgets, was he? :D
2 x
COYI!!!

Вест Хам

Postby Вест Хам » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 pm

mkhammer wrote:Chicago Bect,are you a Bears fan.....I'm a Packers Fan,Big rivalry between the two...
Have you ever been to Soldier Field,and how intense is the rivalry in town would you say,is it
part of day to day life or just when they play each other.... :D

2 part question..What made you hook up with the Irons.....

Nah 3 Part... Is it Windy.... :i am genuinely amused:

It's very intense, but mostly during the NFL season. It's kind of around during the day-to-day stuff. Like, there's a lot of references to it, but it's really only a big deal during the game day. Also, I don't watch football, but I do like the Bears since they're from Chicago, and I have been to Soldier Field. A modern marvel of architecture, imo.

As for why I hooked up with West Ham. The same reason I became an Atletico Madrid fan in 2010. Out of pity.

And yes Chicago is windy as hell.

deanox wrote:Giordanos or al’s Beef?

I was talking to an American guy one day when he told me he was 1/3 Irish 1/3 Scottish 1/3 English and 1/3 German..... :i am genuinely amused:

Haven't tried Giordanos but Al's Beef is ass.

Anyways, Americans tend to do that a lot. It's so cringey. Worst of all is their steriotypical assumptions of other people's ethnic backgrounds. If you look brown, you are Indian. If you're Asian, you're Chinese and if you're hispanic, you're automatically Mexican.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:29 am

Вест Хам wrote:
As for why I hooked up with West Ham. Out of pity.

You want Millwall not West Ham, mate.
3 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

aklhammer

Postby aklhammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 am

Are you fake news?
Should I ask CNN how I should feel about you?
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”