F1, 2018

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Noni

Re: F1, 2018

Postby Noni » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 am

Personally I would like Kimi to leave the F1 scene. Though I really like him as a driver, he has not challenged Vettel at all. He is clearly a #2 driver specially with Ferrari. Now that Alonso will leave Formula 1, it just leaves Kimi of that same generation of drivers left. It would be nice to see a fresh face in a Ferrari seat. :) . Though Kimi's contract has not been confirmed yet, it's almost a guarantee.
0 x

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:04 am

Noni wrote:Personally I would like Kimi to leave the F1 scene. Though I really like him as a driver, he has not challenged Vettel at all. He is clearly a #2 driver specially with Ferrari. Now that Alonso will leave Formula 1, it just leaves Kimi of that same generation of drivers left. It would be nice to see a fresh face in a Ferrari seat. :) . Though Kimi's contract has not been confirmed yet, it's almost a guarantee.

That was almost certainly due to happen until Marchionne died. Marchionne was a big fan of Leclerc. But it was Marchionne's death that changed things. The new heads in charge wanted a period of stability, and I see some sense in that.
Interesting though that it's looking like a two year contract for Raikkonen. but he does know his place in the team.
I agree with you in that I'd like to see someone challenge Vettel, but Ferrari have a history of No.1/No.2 drivers. They're just doing what they always do.

As for Leclerc, going to Haas is a logical move. A couple of years to hone his talents there, then if Vettel hasn't brought home any silverware in that time Ferrari will have an excellent alternative.
1 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:38 pm

I was hoping for rain in last weekend's race. Now we're in Italy, who knows?

Kimi on pole :)
Vettel 2nd
Hamilton 3rd.......

Expecting another Ferrari domination here, as long as Kimi wins, I don't mind. :roll:
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Had to laugh at Vettel complaining after that collision. If he fails to win the title it will be down to his erratic form. Great strategy and teamwork from Mercedes though. Faultless stuff.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Postby Noni » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:Had to laugh at Vettel complaining after that collision. If he fails to win the title it will be down to his erratic form. Great strategy and teamwork from Mercedes though. Faultless stuff.

Found this race very exciting indeed!....... :) I did not expect Hamilton to win here. Vettel's fellow country man Nico Rosberg, blamed Vettel for the crash as he closed the door on Hamilton. I feel sorry for Kimi here, driving the best car on the grid and still cannot get a break. Again errors by Vettel and Ferrari cost them the win.. Great job by Bottas holding up Kimi to allow Hamilton to close the gap.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Noni wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:Had to laugh at Vettel complaining after that collision. If he fails to win the title it will be down to his erratic form. Great strategy and teamwork from Mercedes though. Faultless stuff.

Found this race very exciting indeed!....... :) I did not expect Hamilton to win here. Vettel's fellow country man Nico Rosberg, blamed Vettel for the crash as he closed the door on Hamilton. I feel sorry for Kimi here, driving the best car on the grid and still cannot get a break. Again errors by Vettel and Ferrari cost them the win.. Great job by Bottas holding up Kimi to allow Hamilton to close the gap.

Ferrari had the pace. Vettel should of let Hamilton past, especially as Kimi was ahead.
And they pitted Raikkonen too early. They compromised strategy for track position when it might have been better to back their cars pace.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:57 am

Noni wrote:

Yes mate good watch...Ham was buzzing afterwards...what a great racer he is,he drives it like
a go cart still at times.. :lol: Brilliant..

Huge win that one, world championship could have turned round there,but failing a DNF,he's
gonna be hard to beat now.

Seemed to me Vettel actual moved into Ham if anything....bloke really is an arrogant dick.... :lol:

And anything that pisses him and and that miserable F**k Arrivabene off is good for me,
Shame used to love Ferrari....very much the peoples team but this pair have destroyed all that.
1 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:23 am

Concidering Force India had to drop all their points after the summer break, they are doing extremely well at the moment, may even beat McLaren.
0 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Lando Norris to replace Vandoorne at McLaren next year. :) ... This has certainly been one of the most exciting driver changes I've witnessed so far, since Daniel Ricciardo started the ball rolling going to Renault. We now need to look at Haas, Force India and the William's seats..... Hoping that Ocon gets a good drive !.... ;)
0 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:03 pm

So happy that Charles Leclerc is to replace Kimi at Ferrari. I like Kimi a lot but since going to Ferrari again he has not won a grand prix at all, which surprises me. :o Lots of new talent out there and it would be wrong to keep an old fart like Kimi just for the sake of it in F1, specially when he's driving the best and fastest car in F1 at the moment. I would love to see him win another GP race before he hangs up his helmet.

After reading a few articles on Ferrari, it seemed they dropped the team order strategy a couple of years ago. One reason I hated Ferrari in the first place and the reason Schumacher won so many races. Both Massa and Irvine sacrifised what one would consider a great win or wins, but backed off allowing Schumacher through.

Having Charles Leclerc in the team will help Ferrari big time and I don't doubt that he will win several races in the coming years. So when Vettel decides he's had enough, they would of already been ready for a world title contender in their team. Great move IMO!!!..

Also reading on McLaren strategy, they wanted a clean start and fresh drivers driving for them. Starting from scratch that will develope the team and progress. I regard Sainz highly and Lando Norris will hopefully challenge as well. I belive they will adopt a couple of year plan to hopefully bring them back in contention. With these 2 new drivers in their team, they would already have a winning formula.

I also read that if Red Bull fail next year with Honda and I belive if reliability is in hand, then they may walk out of Formula 1 completely. A choice I believe Daniel had at the back of his mind. In that case, it would put Max Verstappen in an awkward spot. Personally I don't trust Red Bull or Christian for that matter.

Mercedes already has fresh blood in the pipeline with another Brit like Norris lined up with George Russel. ;)

One of my favourite drivers is Ocon, but sadly could be without a seat next year, which surprises me!... :(
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”