F1, 2018

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Noni

Re: F1, 2018

Postby Noni » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 am

Someday Hamilton will retire. I just hope he gets regarded as one of the greats in F1. I still feel a 50/50 split amongst fans IMO. With now his stats ever getting closer to Schumacher's record and beating him on poles, would love his record to be remembered as one of the best drivers out there.

Though I was never a huge fan of Schumacher with hands held high, I respect him now since his retirement and sadly now because of his injury :( ... It sickens me that we've lost more F1 drivers out of F1 who were regarded one the greatest. Jim Clark, James Hunt, Colin McRae(Rallying) and Graham Hill...

Though Senna will be regarded as one of the greatest IMO sadly did crash in F1 will always be remembered as one of the saddest shocks in history. Also now with Schumacher's weird accident, leaves me gobsmacked the tragedy this sport has had to deal with over the years.

Firstly I would Like Schumacher's health to improve and also remember those that lost their lives in this sport including the Indy car series too!... :(

Quite a sombre post for me! :D

Just to add, to Hamilton's record, he's beaten every team mate apart from Jenson Button!.. :) ... He could of won the 2007 championship in his debut season with Alonso as team mate. Also, he's won a grand prix, every single year since he joined F1, no other driver has managed that.
1 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:19 am

Noni wrote:Someday Hamilton will retire. I just hope he gets regarded as one of the greats in F1. I still feel a 50/50 split amongst fans IMO. With now his stats ever getting closer to Schumacher's record and beating him on poles, would love his record to be remembered as one of the best drivers out there.

Though I was never a huge fan of Schumacher with hands held high, I respect him now since his retirement and sadly now because of his injury :( ... It sickens me that we've lost more F1 drivers out of F1 who were regarded one the greatest. Jim Clark, James Hunt, Colin McRae(Rallying) and Graham Hill...

Though Senna will be regarded as one of the greatest IMO sadly did crash in F1 will always be remembered as one of the saddest shocks in history. Also now with Schumacher's weird accident, leaves me gobsmacked the tragedy this sport has had to deal with over the years.

Firstly I would Like Schumacher's health to improve and also remember those that lost their lives in this sport including the Indy car series too!... :(

Quite a sombre post for me! :D

Just to add, to Hamilton's record, he's beaten every team mate apart from Jenson Button!.. :) ... He could of won the 2007 championship in his debut season with Alonso as team mate. Also, he's won a grand prix, every single year since he joined F1, no other driver has managed that.

Nice post Noni..
F1s a lot safer than it used to be,as are most Motor Sports,which is good..
But it has lost it's excitement,I've taken to watching highlights now,instead of whole race.
But still have huge admiration for drivers...not an easy thing to do.
And the technical side is interesting as well,amazing pieces of kit.

I really like Ham,Def one of the best,could have easily had 2 more championships in the bag
as well,bit strange Rosbergs title year.....wont start a conspiracy theory off.... :lol:

Schumacher....bit of a love hate thing for him,Brilliant Driver no argument,but a win at all
costs type of attitude,which crossed the line,numerous times he squeezed,rammed,other
drivers,rammed Hill once to stop Hill winning the title and win it for himself.
Senna was no angel.....Hard but wouldn't cheat.

All those years of throwing a car round a track at 200MPH.......and he hits a tree while
skiing.....
1 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:33 pm

There are some fascinating documentaries about F1 when it was horribly dangerous.
Some are on YouTube, some are a bit harder to find. Sky did Lost Generation about up and coming drivers like Tom Pryce -- though I wouldn't recommend watching the raw footage of his fatal accident.
There's also a BBC documentary called The Killer Years.
They really do give an insight into just how dangerous motor racing was. It's still a risky sport now, but in the 50s, 60s, and 70s it was life and death on the toss of a coin.
And those around the track were in horrible danger too.

We talk about drivers being great, but my word, listening to people like Jackie Stewart you do appreciate drivers of those early eras that much more. In the 80s there was something of a safety net for those tremendous skills, but before that pushing to the limit was a razors edge between life and death.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:58 am

I have 120% respect for Murray Walker now 94.

Since my interest in F1, my Mum loved him. sadly she is passed way. :(

Murray still looks good as his age and I love him and alive!.... ;)
1 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm utterly gobsmacked that Bottas let Hamilton through to win in Russia, :(

Hamilton was clearly ahead of Vettel and did not need this win. I hope he pays back the favour later on in the coming races!. :)
Seems like another Schumacher all over again!... :evil:
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Noni wrote:I'm utterly gobsmacked that Bottas let Hamilton through to win in Russia, :(

Hamilton was clearly ahead of Vettel and did not need this win. I hope he pays back the favour later on in the coming races!. :)

It's what happens when you have a clear driver hierarchy. We've seen Raikkonen let Vettel through this season. Mercedes are just, probably sensibly, playing the numbers.
You would expect Bottas to get a free hit somewhere once Mercedes mathematically wrap up the drivers championship.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Postby Noni » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Noni wrote:I'm utterly gobsmacked that Bottas let Hamilton through to win in Russia, :(

It's what happens when you have a clear driver hierarchy. We've seen Raikkonen let Vettel through this season. Mercedes are just, probably sensibly, playing the numbers.
You would expect Bottas to get a free hit somewhere once Mercedes mathematically wrap up the drivers championship.

As I said earlier, i hope Hamilton repays the favour later on, I realized even Hamilton was not too Impressed. At this rate, Hamilton should wrap up the championship in the next 2 races. :)
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Noni wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:

As I said earlier, i hope Hamilton repays the favour later on, I realized even Hamilton was not too Impressed. At this rate, Hamilton should wrap up the championship in the next 2 races. :)

I think it's wrapped up already. Two whole race wins ahead with 5 to go, Vettel is in the territory of needing a miracle and that Ferrari doesn't look like it can provide one.

Ferrari must be wondering where their pace went too.
It's unusual that the team on the up drops back quite so dramatically. If, as expected, Hamilton wins again this year, that will be 5 on the spin for Mercedes. That would equal Ferrari's record, and who would bet against them to make it six? Hamilton looks better than ever, and even in a slightly quicker car Vettel seems unable to match him.
1 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:28 am

Thing is Noni...if you take it as just a race,part of a World Championship that Ham wants to win..
He wants to win that race......So do you let them RACE,a Race in which Ham Would win,he would
get Bottas eventually....(look at the way he pissed all over Vettel....get out the F.in way.... :lol: )
But by Racing each other,you are risking a collision,which screws up the Team World Championship
and Risking Hams.....this is the best way...in a fair proper race he(Ham) wins it.

Ham is a true Gent,and once title is wrapped up,sure if....IF Bottas is quick enough...to hot and cold
for me....he'll let him have a win somewhere,make up for it.
1 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm

mkhammer wrote:

Thing is Noni...if you take it as just a race,part of a World Championship that Ham wants to win..
He wants to win that race......So do you let them RACE,a Race in which Ham Would win,he would
get Bottas eventually....(look at the way he pissed all over Vettel....get out the F.in way.... :lol: )
But by Racing each other,you are risking a collision,which screws up the Team World Championship
and Risking Hams.....this is the best way...in a fair proper race he(Ham) wins it.

Ham is a true Gent,and once title is wrapped up,sure if....IF Bottas is quick enough...to hot and cold
for me....he'll let him have a win somewhere,make up for it.

I agree!... ;)

Three more races should see Hamilton wrap up the Championship. The next two rounds is Hamilton's strongest tracks, Japan and America.. ;)

With 5 races left, I doubt Vettel can catch up. The sooner Hamilton wins the WC, the sooner Bottas can win a few races :) ...
1 x

Return to “Topical Topics”