F1, 2018

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
4ever-blowin-bubbles

Re: F1, 2018

Postby 4ever-blowin-bubbles » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:01 pm

i can't see whats the fuss over bottas letting hamilton win
it was so obvious that if the race was going to happen like it did then he would let him win
i just hope that if hamilton wins the world championship it early that he can give the win back
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Just out of curiosity. Purely hypothetical. If anyone was stupid enough to put money on something as potentially bent as a F1 race, and I say potentially bent because when player A allows player B to win I can't think of another word that describes it better, wouldn't they be a little bit pissed off if they had put their hard earned on Bottas ? Would the bookies pay out in such a case ?

I've nothing against F1, it's a great spectacle although I'd never really call it sport because the results can so easily be manipulated to suit the competitors. But when a result can be so blatantly manufactured doesn't the whole points for places system lend itself to what is really no more than race fixing ?

And from a marketing perspective wouldn't it give a little bit of extra credence to Mercedes claim they build the best cars in the world, which is probably the underlying point of F1, if their number two driver won the race ? It would at least go part of the way to counter those people that say they only win because they have the best driver.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Whiskyman wrote:Just out of curiosity. Purely hypothetical. If anyone was stupid enough to put money on something as potentially bent as a F1 race, and I say potentially bent because when player A allows player B to win I can't think of another word that describes it better, wouldn't they be a little bit pissed off if they had put their hard earned on Bottas ? Would the bookies pay out in such a case ?

I've nothing against F1, it's a great spectacle although I'd never really call it sport because the results can so easily be manipulated to suit the competitors. But when a result can be so blatantly manufactured doesn't the whole points for places system lend itself to what is really no more than race fixing ?

And from a marketing perspective wouldn't it give a little bit of extra credence to Mercedes claim they build the best cars in the world, which is probably the underlying point of F1, if their number two driver won the race ? It would at least go part of the way to counter those people that say they only win because they have the best driver.

That is a very good point mate,I bet a lot ,mainly GGs,sometimes I back a horse to place,
and get pissed off,if a jockey losses a 3rd place by easing up cos he can't win.
So can understand someone getting pissed off a bit,but the thing here is if they were to
race against each other..Lewis wins all day long...it would have been just as bad,if you
had backed Lewis but they told him to sit behind Bottas,because the team gets Max points
either way.
But I spose it's about Knowledge of what your betting on...I would never back Bottas,even if
he was a second quicker in qualifying and looked nailed on to win,cos the scenario is.....is
what happened Sunday..team orders.
But Like you say someone somewhere has backed Bottas and gone WTF..... :lol:

And another good point about the Fixing.....if one of the mechanics or anyone to do with
Mercedes for that matter had a significant amount on Lewis to win,could be up for a question
or two.(TBH not sure if their allowed to bet on the outcome or not).
0 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:00 pm

A lot has been said about team orders over the week.

Apparently Hamilton had a blister on his tyre by challenging Vettel with that overtake of his after the pit stop. Mercedes wanted to secure a 1 & 2 for the constructers championship. With Bottas now in 2nd place he could protect Vettel's challenge with better tyres. Mercedes were worried that Vettel would overtake Hamilton again and make it a 1 and 3 for the constructors.

Bottas though unhappy accepts his chances in the drivers championship has been over several months ago and is now driving for the team and not for his own benefit... Vettel also supports Mercedes motives.. Hamilton has not been too happy at all and prefers clean fair racing. I'm sure he will allow Bottas that win later on in the championship.

Like the Tour de France in cycling you have your crew of cyclists protecting the lead person in your team...
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Noni wrote:A lot has been said about team orders over the week.

Apparently Hamilton had a blister on his tyre by challenging Vettel with that overtake of his after the pit stop. Mercedes wanted to secure a 1 & 2 for the constructers championship. With Bottas now in 2nd place he could protect Vettel's challenge with better tyres. Mercedes were worried that Vettel would overtake Hamilton again and make it a 1 and 3 for the constructors.

Bottas though unhappy accepts his chances in the drivers championship has been over several months ago and is now driving for the team and not for his own benefit... Vettel also supports Mercedes motives.. Hamilton has not been too happy at all and prefers clean fair racing. I'm sure he will allow Bottas that win later on in the championship.

Like the Tour de France in cycling you have your crew of cyclists protecting the lead person in your team...

As long as we're not seeing team orders right from the start of the season. Bottas and Kimi have been also-rans for a while now, so it's hard to argue with them assisting their teammates.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

deanox

Postby deanox » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:22 pm

I’m not sure about the points situation but if Hamilton wins this weekend will he be confirmed as work champ in Austin.
If so I might pay the exorbitant fee to park and get a ticket for the race as I only live 30 minuets from the track.
1 x
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:23 pm

deanox wrote:I’m not sure about the points situation but if Hamilton wins this weekend will he be confirmed as work champ in Austin.
If so I might pay the exorbitant fee to park and get a ticket for the race as I only live 30 minuets from the track.

I think he'd need to be 76 points ahead after the US GP to be confirmed champion.
It's 50 at the moment, so it's not entirely unlikely.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 pm

I was reading an article on Autosport that said the FIA had placed monitors on Ferrari's ERS battery system, because Mercedes had suggested there might be something underhand going on.
And that it was a strange coincidence that this monitoring has coincided with Ferrari's loss of pace.
0 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:20 am

deanox wrote:I’m not sure about the points situation but if Hamilton wins this weekend will he be confirmed as work champ in Austin.

You should send a picture mate!... ;)
Last edited by Noni on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:28 am

Hamilton on Pole
Bottas 2nd
Verstappen 3rd

Ferrari made another mishap for tyres putting Vettel above 10th spot here!... :shock: ... With Verstappen ahead of Vettel will certainly make it hard for Seb to get passed. I'm a Daniel Riccardo fan and was gutted to see his car retire with engine failure. I saw him swear in the pit area obviously gutted. Like Verstappen in the past, it seems all the bad luck has fallen on Daniel!.. :(
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”