British politics.

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
BCHammer

Re: British politics.

Postby BCHammer » Sat May 19, 2018 1:41 am

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:Ha. The government lose a vote in the Lord's, so apparently they're going to hand out peerages to people who will support them and change that L into a W. Don't you love democracy?
This is what happens when your second house in unelected.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw this story. This country is about as much of a democracy as Equatorial Guinea is.

How the Brady's become Lady's.

No better over here.... if thats any comfort?
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Wed May 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Sad. Then again it is the LES.

London’s Evening Standard newspaper, edited by the former chancellor George Osborne, has agreed a £3 million deal with six leading commercial companies, including Google and Uber, promising them “money-can’t-buy” positive news and “favourable” comment coverage, openDemocracy can reveal.

The project, called London 2020, is being directed by Osborne. It effectively sweeps away the conventional ethical divide between news and advertising inside the Standard – and is set to include “favourable” news coverage of the firms involved, with readers unable to differentiate between "news" that is paid-for and other commercially-branded content.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:Sad. Then again it is the LES.

London’s Evening Standard newspaper, edited by the former chancellor George Osborne, has agreed a £3 million deal with six leading commercial companies, including Google and Uber, promising them “money-can’t-buy” positive news and “favourable” comment coverage, openDemocracy can reveal.

The project, called London 2020, is being directed by Osborne. It effectively sweeps away the conventional ethical divide between news and advertising inside the Standard – and is set to include “favourable” news coverage of the firms involved, with readers unable to differentiate between "news" that is paid-for and other commercially-branded content.

That happened when they became a free paper mate
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:44 pm

:lol:
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Trouble with democracy is that you have to have a credible opposition to keep a government in line. Speaking as a lifelong conservative I think the present government is a fucking mess. Unfortunately the opposition isn't credible, would probably lose again if there was an election tomorrow, and consequently the country is heading down the flusher imo.

Too many people who don't have true Tory values lurking within the party's ranks at the moment. The same could probably be said about people who "infiltrate" the other lot. And while the two parties continue to resist proportional representation that will continue because those people will feel unless they ally themselves to one or the other they won't have a voice.

The opposite of that is , or was, UKIP. Talk about extremes. Some of it's members were more representative of the nationalistic right than the Nazis in 30's Germany, others were more left wing than fucking Trotsky, and there were a lot in the middle. But they all had to gather together under on roof.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Anyone see the headline in the Express?
Anyone would think the Lord's amendments were a Brexit reversal. And they're moaning about the Lord's being unelected. It's enough to make you spit your conrflakes out in mirth.

Maybe if the government had put some thought and planning into Brexit instead of making it up as they go along, the Lord's wouldn't have sent the legislation back.

And as far as I can tell 'Brexit means Brexit' is not the Norwegian model every prominent Brexiteer and his dog were trotting out as an example every time any searching questions about trade and the economy loomed large.

What 17m people didn't vote for was A) something they weren't told about, and B) an interpretation of Brexit that has little in common with what they were told.
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Postby BillyDWhizz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:Anyone see the headline in the Express?
Anyone would think the Lord's amendments were a Brexit reversal. And they're moaning about the Lord's being unelected. It's enough to make you spit your conrflakes out in mirth.

Maybe if the government had put some thought and planning into Brexit instead of making it up as they go along, the Lord's wouldn't have sent the legislation back.

And as far as I can tell 'Brexit means Brexit' is not the Norwegian model every prominent Brexiteer and his dog were trotting out as an example every time any searching questions about trade and the economy loomed large.

What 17m people didn't vote for was A) something they weren't told about, and B) an interpretation of Brexit that has little in common with what they were told.

Exactly. They keep banging on about how 17.4 million people voted for Brexit so it's a done deal - get over it. What they are not banging on about is the amount of spin, scaremongering, false promises and downright lies spewed out that led to those 17.4 million people (myself included) to vote for Brexit. If the referendum were to be re-held tomorrow knowing what we know now, it would be a landslide remain vote, of that I'm sure.
0 x
I hate it when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". There so stupid.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:53 am

BillyDWhizz wrote:

Exactly. They keep banging on about how 17.4 million people voted for Brexit so it's a done deal - get over it. What they are not banging on about is the amount of spin, scaremongering, false promises and downright lies spewed out that led to those 17.4 million people (myself included) to vote for Brexit. If the referendum were to be re-held tomorrow knowing what we know now, it would be a landslide remain vote, of that I'm sure.

What amazes me is that the leave campaign called all the economic doom and gloom stuff 'project fear'. Now it appears that the government are determined to make those predictions come true.
Shouldn't we be aiming for the least economically damaging Brexit possible? As opposed to the economic blackhole championed by the billionaire, tax haven dwelling, owners of the Sun and Mail?
0 x

Ron Manager

Postby Ron Manager » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 am

BillyDWhizz wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I voted to Remain. If there were a 2nd referendum I'd vote Leave now.
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 am

In a way the Lords and Commons are just reflecting the consensus of public opinion...it's split..
As you guys know May is/was a remainer,as was 60% of the party( that baffled me if I'm honest)
Yet people seem to see it as a Tory Plan ...it's not..they are doing what a democratic vote has told them
to do.

Whats happening now is no surprise to me ,we're a nation of whingers,a great country,but a fair
share of moaners nonetheless.....and from what I see mainly on the Left of politics...
To be an MP sometimes you have to go along with things you don't totally agree with.....
.....Hence democracy...Argue,discuss...resolve...that's whats happening now,but the
doom mongers/whingers like to call it just arguing and don't understand the process.
Personally I'm all for MPs of the same party disagreeing...
I'm a Tory but the day they all agree with each other is the day I'm gone.....
Vote together at the end by all means....but go thru the "Process"

I was ready for this crap as was May..there's a hole heap of people even MPs who want it to be a
shambles,and call it a shambles even if it's not,purely because it's the Torys trying to implement
it.....what can you do .....

We are in a strong position the EU need us more than we need them IMO.....

France and Germany would both leave if there was a public vote,it's just a little group
of Euro MPs that are keeping it from falling apart.....it's a dated stupid interfering limitating body,
that needs to be scrapped.....and we're well out of it....

There's a further 5 years of various contract negotiations after we leave,so get ready for it... :lol:
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”