British politics.

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
mkhammer

Re: British politics.

Post by mkhammer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:41 am

Marco Boogers Boots wrote:
Pennywise wrote:Sorry MK, my reason for voting out had nothing to do with immigration and everything to do with removing ourselves from a bloated, corrupt, undemocratic power body that seems to have every intention of getting worse.
I voted remain. Once the referendum was announced I was a certain remainer, but through the campaigns I was swayed quite a bit by leave to the point that on the morning of the vote I wasn't sure which way I was going to go.

I went remain because I thought "better the devil you know". And that really isn't me saying I told you so, or with the benefit of hindsight - I honestly felt at that time that a leave vote would create chaos at a time we could really do without it.

That said, once the result was announced I wasn't particularly upset by it. I pretty much thought "well, fuck me! It should be interesting to see how it goes!".

Was a tough call......Might heart always wanted out,but my head would say....
(despite what some people think).. We're a pretty succsessful country..why risk screwing it up.
Maybe Staying is safer.
But over the years that eroded,seeing the way the EU was going,don't see how it Benefits
anyone..we can all still trade with one another,why have limitations and controls.
What with all the emerging markets now...China,Brazil,Nigeria..etc,was worried we'd be to
tied down with some stupid Euro legislations,limiting us to what we can and can't do.
Thats not how Trade works....

Don't wanna keep banging on about it,but the border control thing was just as impotant
as Having easier more flexible trading opportunities/ full control of our laws/
legislations again etc..

Was pretty prepared for the "Chaos".. :lol: It's the way it is..Every single Country has it,
it's not just us.(will always have protesters..people wanting their own way,but eventually
democracy always wins)
But we resolve it better than the others,as indeed this will be sorted....

We won't be queuing for 3 hours for a loaf of bread,as some would have you believe.. :lol:
0 x

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

FlatCapDave wrote:
Pennywise wrote:Sorry MK, my reason for voting out had nothing to do with immigration and everything to do with removing ourselves from a bloated, corrupt, undemocratic power body that seems to have every intention of getting worse.
There's a good chance you're in the minority.
Probably, but I'd say it depends on who you speak to or where you're from I guess; I work in the city and know and talk to 7 or 8 people who voted out and not one of them voted out due to immigration.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:19 am

Pennywise wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:
There's a good chance you're in the minority.
Probably, but I'd say it depends on who you speak to or where you're from I guess; I work in the city and know and talk to 7 or 8 people who voted out and not one of them voted out due to immigration.
Everyone has their reasons and that drunken cunt Juncker wants to outlaw my bendy banana. :lol:

50/50 where I live and if you work in the city that will be a Remain area I guess.

The vote was won in the north however. In traditional Labour heartlands. The migration problem is far more acute there as that's where the majority of them are housed. Far away from the Michael Hestletine's, John Major's, Gina Miller's and Vince Cable's of this world who are aching for a 2nd referendum. And it amazes me that there are Labour MP's up there whose constituencies were staunchly leave that still want to stay in. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

It won't happen anyway but they're deluding themselves if they think the outcome would be any different.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Which kid is likely to get beaten up on the way home from school? The kid who has no mates and goes it alone, or the one who is part of a bigger group?

Immigration? Does anyone really think immigration will stop once Brexit happens ? If it did the NHS would close down tomorrow, Lincolnshire potatoes would rot in the ground and fuck knows how many menial low paid jobs would remain unfilled because Brits would not lower themselves to perform them, preferring instead to live a life on benefits. I suppose it is possible that Brits could be persuaded to pick spuds if the wages were right but then how many of us would want to see the price of our fucking chips doubled?

Britain can negotiate it's own trade deals? To sell what exactly ? What do companies, and by that I mean British companies, actually produce to sell ? We've still got the financial services sector in the City which is where I used to work and even back then it was apparent that Frankfurt, Paris and even Dublin were centres desperate for a slice of the action. The City of London used to generate about 16% of the whole country's GDP, probably even more now. Lose even a small amount of that and see if the NHS can survive. Not to mention the bloated benefit payments being made to the terminally lazy and downright fucking useless.

But the thing that worries me more than anything is the total lack of any apparent commercial nous being shown by anybody in the Tory party, which is the party I've always supported, which is worrying because, let's face it, whether you're a Tory or not thay have always been regarded as the party of financial competence. But today they seem to have developed into a squalid "Little Englander" rabble being led along a road to disaster by foaming mouthed nationalists.

Fortunately I'm at an age where I no longer have to worry about job security and my next pay cheque. But I do have kids and grandchildren and I worry about the sort of future they will have in a country that decides to try and insulate itself against the rest of the world instead of becoming an active and vibrant part of it.

Not too many years back when I visited the US on holiday I got almost $2 to the pound. Today I'd get under $1.30. As they say across the pond, do the math dummy.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 am

Whiskyman wrote:Immigration? Does anyone really think immigration will stop once Brexit happens ?
It's a good thing then that the vast majority don't want immigration to stop then, isn't it?
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 am

FlatCapDave wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:Immigration? Does anyone really think immigration will stop once Brexit happens ?
It's a good thing then that the vast majority don't want immigration to stop then, isn't it?
I would say that saying the vast majority don't want immigration to stop is debatable tbh. I would guess amongst those who voted to leave the vast majority are in favour of stopping immigration.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Whiskyman wrote: I would say that saying the vast majority don't want immigration to stop is debatable tbh. I would guess amongst those who voted to leave the vast majority are in favour of stopping immigration.
I don't think so, personally.

I believe that the vast majority realise that controlled immigration has many benefits. We only need to look to countries such as Canada to see how a proper, sensible immigration system can benefit both those who are being granted access as well as the country itself.

The problem with the EU and our membership of it is that one of the prerequisites of signing up is allowing "free movement of people," which is all well and good if you're coming from somewhere such as Poland where the average monthly wage is £660 per month or Romania where the average is £488, or £400 in Bulgaria.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out how that situation is going to go, does it?

And it also doesn't take a genius to see the reasoning behind those in power pushing this agenda.

A shitload of cheap, unskilled labour that doesn't really understand the concept of unionisation or workers rights.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Whiskyman wrote: I would say that saying the vast majority don't want immigration to stop is debatable tbh. I would guess amongst those who voted to leave the vast majority are in favour of stopping immigration.

I believe that the vast majority realise that controlled immigration has many benefits. We only need to look to countries such as Canada to see how a proper, sensible immigration system can benefit both those who are being granted access as well as the country itself.

The problem with the EU and our membership of it is that one of the prerequisites of signing up is allowing "free movement of people," which is all well and good if you're coming from somewhere such as Poland where the average monthly wage is £660 per month or Romania where the average is £488, or £400 in Bulgaria.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out how that situation is going to go, does it?

And it also doesn't take a genius to see the reasoning behind those in power pushing this agenda.

A shitload of cheap, unskilled labour that doesn't really understand the concept of unionisation or workers rights.
Spot on.

Not many people, even staunch leavers have advocated letting no-one in.

Would I prefer a Pakistani oncologist or an Algerian thug with a French passport ? One can come legally, the other may not. The whole point of controlling our borders is to let in who we want.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 pm

palerider wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:

Spot on.

Would I prefer a Pakistani oncologist or an Algerian thug with a French passport ? One can come legally, the other may not. The whole point of controlling our borders is to let in who we want.
Just like the vast numbers of British Passport holders who were, and probably still are, fighting for ISIS whilst enjoying the benefits of Brotish citizenship then.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 am

Whiskyman wrote:
palerider wrote: Spot on.

Just like the vast numbers of British Passport holders who were, and probably still are, fighting for ISIS whilst enjoying the benefits of Brotish citizenship then.
Hanging's too good for those bastards but that's another story.
0 x

Social Media