British politics.

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
FlatCapDave

Re: British politics.

Post by FlatCapDave » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 am

Who did everyone expect May to replace him with? Someone who has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit? Maybe a local Tory Councillor from Bognor Regis or something? ;)

Raab is as qualified and as good a choice for the job as anyone else available. Sad, but true.
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:10 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:Who did everyone expect May to replace him with? Someone who has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit? Maybe a local Tory Councillor from Bognor Regis or something? ;)

Raab is as qualified and as good a choice for the job as anyone else available. Sad, but true.
You've made the point for us exactly. There IS no one qualified for this job within the entirety of the government, so just bung in any old cunt to continue making a complete pigs ear of things and hope the whole damn country doesn't end up crashing down around their ears. Raab's only qualification is that he's a Theresa May yes man and will continue to sail us all down the fucking river.
0 x
I hate it when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". There so stupid.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:18 pm

1922 committee meeting at 5pm today. Could be interesting, I'd not be at all surprised if a motion of no confidence in Mrs May is forthcoming.
0 x
I hate it when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". There so stupid.

h69

Post by h69 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:52 pm

0 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Boris has gone. May is dead, dead, dead. We're going to have Rees-Mogg as PM by September. :lol: :lol:
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:Boris has gone. May is dead, dead, dead. We're going to have Rees-Mogg as PM by September. :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused:
It certainly is an utter shambles. And as we are now all seeing the lunacy of having the bloody referendum in the first place is coming home to roost.

What the fuck is "Brexit" anyway.? We are seeing there are various types of trade deals that may or may not be agreed. So what the fuck were people voting for ? What type of Brexit did they want ? Did they even know ? No doubt some wanted a "soft Brexit", some wanted a "hard Brexit", and for all I know some wanted a nice spongy Brexit with chocolate bits in the middle.

And when, in fact I'm even going to say if, Brexit in whatever form actually happens are the electorate going to be given a vote to decide whether the terms are acceptable ? We all know the answer to that don't we? But in any case it's not out of the question there will be another general election soon if the Bog Trotters decide they're not going to prop up Theresa any more. And fuck knows what will happen if Corbyn and his rabble win, which is not out of the question by any means.

Because of my age I'm going to escape most of the shit storm that's coming. But I do worry for the well being of my kids and my grandchildren because I want a better future for them, ideally in the country of their birth, than asking Russian Oligarchs if they want fries with that.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 am

My word, but the Tories are in a pickle.
It would be interesting to see how an opposition would, or could, exploit the situation, but it's been a few years now since we had one.

I'm seeing that David Cameron quote popping up everywhere... Stable and strong government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband.

And is there anything Boris Johnson won't do in his quest for power?
First he's remain. Then an opportunity to showcase his leadership skills and take centre stage presents itself, and he's hard-line Brexit.
Now he acquiesces to his leader when she pulls a U-turn and goes all soft... right up until David Davis resignation gives him another chance to make a play for No. 10.

I get the feeling that beneath that clownish, boorish exterior beats the heart of a slimy hypocritical snake.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:44 am

Neville Bartos wrote:My word, but the Tories are in a pickle.
It would be interesting to see how an opposition would, or could, exploit the situation, but it's been a few years now since we had one.

I'm seeing that David Cameron quote popping up everywhere... Stable and strong government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband.

First he's remain. Then an opportunity to showcase his leadership skills and take centre stage presents itself, and he's hard-line Brexit.
Now he acquiesces to his leader when she pulls a U-turn and goes all soft... right up until David Davis resignation gives him another chance to make a play for No. 10.

I get the feeling that beneath that clownish, boorish exterior beats the heart of a slimy hypocritical snake.
I've voted Conservative apart from twice. When Major's government had run it's course and the party was tearing itself apart. And the other time was when Michael Howard was leader, a man I could never support. Johnson is, imo, a Michael Howard clone. A political opportunist who changes his view suddenly and spectacularly if he thinks there's something in it for him. But I think he's misjudged it this time tbh. I may be wrong but I think he's a busted flush now. Being brutally frank the Tory party is as reliant on funding from business and business people as the Labour party is from the unions and, whatever anyone's views on Brexit, the business community is largely against the idea. I may be wrong but imo Johnson has committed the political version of Hari-Kari.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:My word, but the Tories are in a pickle.

I've voted Conservative apart from twice. When Major's government had run it's course and the party was tearing itself apart. And the other time was when Michael Howard was leader, a man I could never support. Johnson is, imo, a Michael Howard clone. A political opportunist who changes his view suddenly and spectacularly if he thinks there's something in it for him. But I think he's misjudged it this time tbh. I may be wrong but I think he's a busted flush now. Being brutally frank the Tory party is as reliant on funding from business and business people as the Labour party is from the unions and, whatever anyone's views on Brexit, the business community is largely against the idea. I may be wrong but imo Johnson has committed the political version of Hari-Kari.
I hope you're right, mate. Looking through the Tory front ranks it's hard to find anyone you'd feel comfortable voting for. Gove, Hunt, Rees-Mogg, Hammond, Javid, Fox, Leadsom, it makes you think maybe May is something of a lesser evil all things considered.
What a mess we're in though. The most ineffective, directionless PM for a generation and no viable alternative either side of the house.

In the words of Bonnie Tyler: Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn
And I dream of what I need.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:31 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
I hope you're right, mate. Looking through the Tory front ranks it's hard to find anyone you'd feel comfortable voting for. Gove, Hunt, Rees-Mogg, Hammond, Javid, Fox, Leadsom, it makes you think maybe May is something of a lesser evil all things considered.
What a mess we're in though. The most ineffective, directionless PM for a generation and no viable alternative either side of the house.

In the words of Bonnie Tyler: Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn
And I dream of what I need.

The only two I could even begin to consider trusting to run the country are Hammond and Hunt. The likes of Rees-Mogg are the type of chinless wonders that give "proper" conservatives a bad name. I doubt if he is capable of running a bath without an instruction manual.
0 x

Social Media